PDA

View Full Version : Private Party transfer limit

Raptor3000
04-23-2012, 8:30 PM
Is there a limit on PPTs you can do in a year? The manager at the shooting range i go to, was mentioning that you can only do 6 or 7 PPTs a year. If you do more they have to report to ATF.

Is it true or is he just does not want people to do PPTs at the range.

thanks

Paperchasin
04-23-2012, 8:33 PM
Not true at all. You can buy as many guns as your bank account (or wife) allows.

sumdood
04-23-2012, 8:34 PM
You can buy as many as you want by PPT. You can only sell 5 per year.

morrcarr67
04-23-2012, 8:37 PM
As the buyer NONE.

As the seller you are allowed 5 transactions a year. You may sell as meny firearms as you'd like in those transactions.

Nor*Cal
04-23-2012, 8:45 PM
From the CGF Wiki, link found on the top of every page

Selling as a Private Party

There is a small limitation on the number of occasions of sales; the penal code says PPT is for "infrequent" transactions, and PC 12070 (c) says

(c) (1) As used in this section, "infrequent" means:
(A) For handguns, less than six transactions per calendar year.
For this purpose, "transaction" means a single sale, lease, or
transfer of any number of handguns.
(B) For firearms other than handguns, occasional and without
regularity.

Raptor3000
04-23-2012, 8:47 PM
OK there is a limit on how many you can sell.

thanks

frankm
04-23-2012, 9:04 PM
From the CGF Wiki, link found on the top of every page

Selling as a Private Party

There is a small limitation on the number of occasions of sales; the penal code says PPT is for "infrequent" transactions, and PC 12070 (c) says

(c) (1) As used in this section, "infrequent" means:
(A) For handguns, less than six transactions per calendar year.
For this purpose, "transaction" means a single sale, lease, or
transfer of any number of handguns.
(B) For firearms other than handguns, occasional and without
regularity.

Oh, that's rock solid. :facepalm:

Nor*Cal
04-23-2012, 9:18 PM
Oh, that's rock solid. :facepalm:

Agreed, I was thinking the same thing when I copied and pasted it. Crazy how vague many of these laws are written. They leave way too much room for interpretation which causes lots confusion.

littlejake
04-23-2012, 9:30 PM
Even though the PC says less than 6, I don't think it's a hard limit. If for some reason, you had to sell all your guns, and that was >5, I don't think you'll be hearing from them. It's intent is to prevent people from acting like dealers; so if you conduct your affairs in such a way as to not appear to be a dealer, I think you're OK.

And it does say transactions -- but each DROS is a transaction -- the transfer dealer cannot put multiple guns on a DROS; so how do they differentiate between # of transactions and # of guns?