PDA

View Full Version : The Nomad Project...what do I need?

Hammertime
04-23-2012, 3:21 PM
Gooood afternoon, all. I am about to step into the rimfire world, and wanted to base my rifle on a 10/22. I grew up with a 10/22, but wanted to make mine completely custom, and with this nice lookin' Nomad/archangel kit.

http://www.blacksuntactical.com/Promag-Archangel-MarauderNomad-Stock-10RD-Ruger-1022-AAM1022_p_157.html

Can I please have some guidance on the following issues:

1) Is the Nomad/archangel stock worth my time/$?

2) If I were to buy just the stock, would I need to have that, or the receiver/barrel registered with an FFL?

3) What parts would I need to complete this rifle?

4) Has anybody on here done this exact project? I did some searching on here but rendered little to no help.

Thank you very much for your time!

deviljon
04-23-2012, 3:49 PM
I got bored of my 10/22 and ended up going this route. All you need it the barrel and complete receiver. I had the standard 18" blued barrel. The kit also comes with an extended mag release and auto bolt release, since the body makes the stock ones harder to access. Fun little toy in my opinion. Also have the faux suppressor on mine. In the end, it's still just a 10/22 so I don't expect much out of it.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g71/j0ny4ng/20120327_172550.jpg

Hammertime
04-23-2012, 4:22 PM
Did you notice an increase or decrease in accuracy with that kit?

Also, did you encounter any problems installing or using the kit? I've read back and forth reviews on installation and overall quality of build...

Thank you for your time.

deviljon
04-23-2012, 4:38 PM
I can't say for accuracy because I had a bull barrel on before the conversion and never shot it with the factory barrel. When I installed the kit, my barrel was slightly mis-aligned and I had to make some adjustments to the v-block that holds the barrel in. Now it's fine. Installation is a breeze, just follow the youtube guides if you have any trouble. During the process I also installed a new VQ hammer and really got to learn the internals of the gun.

It's a solid body and doesn't feel cheap or crappy (at least to me).

Anyway, this is a completely aftermarket stock that you can ship to your door, the only part considered a firearm is technically the receiver. I purchased the kit from Aeon Arms, total came out to $150 shipped.

Hammertime
04-23-2012, 5:01 PM
Cool. Thank you for your time.

iroc626
04-23-2012, 10:30 PM
That kit is my personal favorite. Adds some weight and overall size. Easy install no FFL needed because its considered a stock.
No real change in accuracy from the kit install. The sights it comes with are decent once adjusted. Pretty accurate. I actually used mine scoped for appleseed. I also have a red dot that I swap out once in a while.
Overall its solid, fun and tacticool. Gets lots of looks and comments at the range.

emsalex
04-24-2012, 2:59 PM
Check this thread out
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=378731

You can read alot of the problems people are having, mostly feed issues and barrel channels being off,

deviljon
04-24-2012, 4:25 PM
While I haven't run the kit for a very long time, it's functioned with no problems whatsoever SO FAR. I think they came out with a newer magazine design that fixed any initial issues they had. This is from my own experience, YMMV.