PDA

View Full Version : A Little Competition Brewing!

Johnnyfres
04-23-2012, 1:53 PM
So I finished up my first AR build about a month and a half ago. Since then I have been showing it off to my friends and family. Made two range trips so far. Everyone is great with the rifle.

One friend I have known for about 12 years now was really Interested. We have a lot in common, including firearms. Don't get me wrong I don't have anything against this guy at all, I love him to death and I would do anything for this person but it seems like he wants to start a firearm buying competition.

I offered to help him build his first AR but he went out and bought his own instead. I even found that the rifle he purchased on consignment had the hammer spring on wrong so I fixed it for him. I went to his house showed him how to break it down and clean, talked to him about how the rifle works and gave him all the knowledge that I had just picked up from weeks of researching the AR.

His AR has not been fired yet. He has owned it for about 2 weeks now.
I saw him this weekend and he told me he just went to put a Complete Colt AR in jail. He was like "I am one up on you now". Keep in mind he did this with a Glock as well. I own a Glock 17, he went out and bought a Glock 23. I thought nothing of it then.

So I am planning on something big for my payback :D. I am getting some settlement money next month around 11K from a car accident and I figured I would top him with a nice purchase that he could not come back over the top on. I figured about $2500 or so might do the job.

He also owns a Kimber TLE/RE II 45

So what do you guys think?

First let me say that I will be buying an AK next month for sure. But I need something over the top to trump this guys purchase as well :D.

PS90?
FS2000?
Nice SA 1911 45?

dbo31
04-23-2012, 2:14 PM
Why not go .308?

osis32
04-23-2012, 2:17 PM
Savage 110ba .338 lm. Rrel him to suck it. I have a friend like that he works at a gun store too so I can't keep up. Has all these exotic calibers rarely shoots.

jingerale
04-23-2012, 2:19 PM
Benelli M4

Speedpower
04-23-2012, 2:26 PM
Check this out, I found this while browsing the For sale thread, This looks interesting and the Benelli fits your $2500 budget!
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=561288&highlight=bnib+benelli

mif_slim
04-23-2012, 2:26 PM
Farret 50. haha

Sicarius
04-23-2012, 2:27 PM
Let the arms race begin. Something in .308. It really depends on what type of shooting you guys do. You gotta top him, not match him with a .45 or .556...
Kevin

HK Dave
04-23-2012, 2:34 PM
Pony up an extra $500 or so and grab yourself a GAP 10... or maybe Larue OBR or Larue PredatAR. (In 308 of course)

After that, take another $2500 of that settlement check and get yourself a Nightforce F1 and slap it on a GDI P-Rom mount.

Only way to one up you at this point is buy something like a Surgeon action with Schmitt & Bender optics... but if it gets that far... well... God help you.

Sgt. J Beezy
04-23-2012, 2:35 PM
+1 on Benelli M4, or a custom 1911 (think Nighthawk, or similar), not 308 (for 2500 not much out there with the "wow" factor not including scope, ammo, and other accessories).

I don't post a lot on here, mostly just read, but I feel for your situation as my best friends money burns holes in his pockets as they are being handed to Turners...

As with anything in life, choose quality over quantity and be glad for what you have!

Peter W Bush
04-23-2012, 2:45 PM
There will ALWAYS be somebody with a bigger and better collection than you. He has an advantage working in a gun store too.

Eljay
04-23-2012, 2:50 PM
I like the Benelli M4 or LaRue ideas... but there's also something to be said for just going totally out in left field. Go get a nice high end flintlock rifle or something and watch him try to follow THAT!

Arkangel
04-23-2012, 2:51 PM
Nighthawk GRP gets my vote. Nice way to spend $2500.

Johnnyfres
04-23-2012, 3:34 PM
Why not go .308?

I was thinking something more Exotic.

Check this out, I found this while browsing the For sale thread, This looks interesting and the Benelli fits your $2500 budget!
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=561288&highlight=bnib+benelli

Wow that is one damn nice gauge. That has potential.

There will ALWAYS be somebody with a bigger and better collection than you. He has an advantage working in a gun store too.

I totally agree with you PWB. But I have to one up him, and I am sure he will come back and one up me again. Also he does not work for a gun shop, not sure where you got that idea? hehe

Johnnyfres
04-23-2012, 3:35 PM
Nighthawk GRP gets my vote. Nice way to spend $2500.

I watch a video on the production of these. So far has to be the best 1911 I have ever seen. If I came back with something like the GRP Recon he would poop bricks :)

darmog
04-23-2012, 4:01 PM
I'd rather have one handgun and rifle and really know how to use them than have ten safe queens that I just shoot at the bench. I'd suggest getting some training or do some competitive shooting and buy 10k worth of ammo for each gun. Then you can really "show" him cause you can't buy skill. Otherwise, that's gonna be an expensive "competition" between you two that I just don't see ending well.

osis32
04-23-2012, 4:27 PM
If I'm spending 2500 I wanna go farther than 25 yards with it. I still say big bore rifle.

Dill45
04-23-2012, 4:27 PM
http://www.onlylongrange.com/badnews.asp

Yeah. A semi-auto chambered in 5 dollar bills. I think that will win.

Peter W Bush
04-23-2012, 4:35 PM
I totally agree with you PWB. But I have to one up him, and I am sure he will come back and one up me again. Also he does not work for a gun shop, not sure where you got that idea? hehe

Hmm.. Thought I read in the OP that he worked at a gunshop. But I also woke up drunk this morning so I could be wrong. Either way, a gun buying pissing contest can be VERY expensive. Ask me how I know :43::43:

osis32
04-23-2012, 4:36 PM
No I said that about my similar situation

Johnnyfres
04-23-2012, 5:14 PM
Hmm.. Thought I read in the OP that he worked at a gunshop. But I also woke up drunk this morning so I could be wrong. Either way, a gun buying pissing contest can be VERY expensive. Ask me how I know :43::43:

haha, I've been there PWB. Hey I can look at the bright side, at least we will both have lots of guns to shoot.

I really would like a big bore also. I was looking at the DST SRS even though that is a LOT out of my price range. Damn would that be nice.

hayaku
04-23-2012, 5:51 PM
who shoots better? you or him?

having superior equipment doesn't make him a better shooter. it's always fun to embarrass people who think because they have some super high end setup they automatically increased their skill level to that worthy of the equipment.

i say buy tons of ammo and go training with it. either training classes or competition and outshoot him on every single platform. then you can make fun of him for eternity (or until he gets off his lazyass and goes practice enough to catch up)

sammy
04-23-2012, 5:51 PM
Les Baer TRS. Nothing comes close for the money. Over 17,000 rounds through it and not a single broken part. Just replace the springs and clean on occasion. The gun shoots itself.
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x183/carcrazysammy/P1010186.jpg

Johnnyfres
04-23-2012, 6:26 PM
who shoots better? you or him?

having superior equipment doesn't make him a better shooter. it's always fun to embarrass people who think because they have some super high end setup they automatically increased their skill level to that worthy of the equipment.

i say buy tons of ammo and go training with it. either training classes or competition and outshoot him on every single platform. then you can make fun of him for eternity (or until he gets off his lazyass and goes practice enough to catch up)

I am way more experienced with rifles. We are about equal with handguns. My general knowledge is more advanced than his.

I plan on taking a carbine course with my AR.

I agree with the statement but I think this will go on forever between us.

Capybara
04-23-2012, 8:02 PM
M2. Yeah, you are limited to ten round belts but I don't think that there is a much cooler gun. And yeah, I know you can't get one for $2,500.00 but still, if you want to end your arms race, you have to go nuclear.

Johnnyfres
04-23-2012, 8:39 PM
Thoughts?

http://www.impactguns.com/kriss-super-v-vector-sdp-45-acp-pistol10-round-california-legal-version-ksdpca0800110.aspx

Wish I could get an Ma Deuce. Is there a CA legal version?

Capybara
04-23-2012, 8:52 PM
You can totally own a Ma Deuce in California, albeit a neutered semi auto. But that's okay, who could afford to shoot one full auto anyway? ;-) If you are serious, talk to Michael at www.ebrworks.com He can hook you up on Cali-legal semi-auto belt-fed machine guns. He tells me that it is a sickness, worse than Garanditis.

I may end up with a 1919A4 at some point, I could possibly actually afford to shoot one but an M2? No, I don't think i could shoot one unless I won the lottery.

baih777
04-23-2012, 8:54 PM
If you really want to toy with him.
BARRETT
order some brochures and download a pic to your phone and bookmark alot of websites.

takinflight33
04-23-2012, 9:21 PM
socom II

takinflight33
04-23-2012, 9:21 PM
or m1 garand

FIREBALL_BRIAN
04-24-2012, 1:40 PM
Get the colt competition ready AR

wsmc27
04-24-2012, 1:44 PM
I am way more experienced with rifles. We are about equal with handguns. My general knowledge is more advanced than his.

I plan on taking a carbine course with my AR.

I agree with the statement but I think this will go on forever between us.

Take many courses. :D

Agreed with hayaku, darmog and those who suggest knowledge and training, and more ammo. ;)

You guys can buy multiple firearms? Neat. You can easily get one "up" on your friend by learning from the many options we have to learn how to use them.

That said, if you don't have a 1911...what the hell are you waiting for?

:D

luchador768
04-24-2012, 4:45 PM
My friend and I had a similar arms race for awhile. He picked up a barrett .416 and the game was over.

Exdc
04-24-2012, 4:53 PM
Definitely .308 as at least one other user said. Try a precision AR10 (think M110 SASS status/SR-25 by armalite)

some REALLY nice ones here, guaranteed sub-MOA (3/4"@100 yards)

http://www.ar-10-rifles.com/index.php

All custom, lots of options. Save some money for a GOOD scope though :D

Those guns make me drool. I'm going to have to build one when I'm rich (hahaha...)

"... He tells me that it is a sickness, worse than Garanditis.

Is Garanditis worse than EBR Syndrome?

Agent Tikki
04-24-2012, 5:00 PM
get a LaRue, Knight's or Noveske.

and a Nighthawk while your at it...hey, you have a 11k budget!

HK Dave
04-24-2012, 5:16 PM
get a LaRue, Knight's or Noveske.

and a Nighthawk while your at it...hey, you have a 11k budget!

Amen

FIREBALL_BRIAN
04-24-2012, 5:27 PM
Make your own rifle or handgun and challenge him to a steel tree

gatesbox
04-24-2012, 5:29 PM
Every time this thread is bumped I think it is about beer.

icenix
04-24-2012, 6:39 PM

That is a nice looking gun......wish I had the money for a nice one like that.

icenix
04-24-2012, 6:43 PM
Wish I could get an Ma Deuce. Is there a CA legal version?

Man, you read my mind. EBR works has a couple of nice ones. He won't beat this........and when you buy it, I am in Fresno, so I want to go shooting with you, lol.

Johnnyfres
04-24-2012, 7:55 PM
Every time this thread is bumped I think it is about beer.

:yes:

Man, you read my mind. EBR works has a couple of nice ones. He won't beat this........and when you buy it, I am in Fresno, so I want to go shooting with you, lol.

I am thinking the Ma Deuce is a little out of my price range. But I think that or the 416 Barrett would seal the deal and my wife would murder me if I purchased either one.

I am really liking the Desert Tactical Arms SRS with maybe a 308 to start. Damn the conversion kits are expensive. Look a how pretty that is though.

http://www.deserttacticalarms.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/450x450/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/r/srstanblack-lr.jpg

hayaku
04-24-2012, 7:57 PM
check the commercial sales in the market... one of the vendors had belt fed cal-legal guns for sale... browning 1919 i think

whatever your friend doesn't see normally in the gun store is a sure bet of to incite gun envy... belt fed guns, exotic military guns like robars, usmc m40, ai aw, etc... but of course the price range just went orbital

icenix
04-24-2012, 9:04 PM
:yes:

I am thinking the Ma Deuce is a little out of my price range. But I think that or the 416 Barrett would seal the deal and my wife would murder me if I purchased either one.

I am really liking the Desert Tactical Arms SRS with maybe a 308 to start. Damn the conversion kits are expensive. Look a how pretty that is though.

http://www.deserttacticalarms.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/450x450/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/r/srstanblack-lr.jpg

Ehhh, fudge the price to the wife a little and then sell something to make some money back. You will forever win with the browning, lol.

Sicarius
04-25-2012, 11:50 AM
Yeah, I would say a 1919 would put an end to it. That seems to be the end all be all of rediculous firearms that is fairly easy to get ahold of and reasonably priced.
Kevin

speedrrracer
04-25-2012, 12:26 PM
If you're trying to one-up his Kimber, get a Wilson Combat Classic Supergrade.

If you want to one-up him on all shooting, spend the 5k on training and ammo