PDA

View Full Version : Rifle range in San Diego ?

kris smith
04-23-2012, 12:23 PM
Any one know of a rifle range in San Diego ?

dbo31
04-23-2012, 12:29 PM
Indoor? American shooting center..I think Discount gun mart just opened thier's..P2K range

outdoor? Pala..South bay rod and gun..BLM land

h0use
04-23-2012, 12:38 PM
escondido fish and game has 100 yard and 150 yard outdoor range. but you have to be a member

SDgarrick
04-23-2012, 12:45 PM
I like Southbay rod and Gun. Head east to the desert if you can.

chillincody
04-23-2012, 12:52 PM
P2k or blm land in the desert also some blm out by south bay rod and gun club too :)

kris smith
04-23-2012, 12:58 PM
Cool I was thinking p2k

dbo31
04-23-2012, 1:02 PM
P2k or blm land in the desert also some blm out by south bay rod and gun club too :)

shhhhhhh...lol

Arnelcheeze
04-23-2012, 1:44 PM
its an indoor range though...

http://www.iron-sights.com/

S470FM
04-23-2012, 1:49 PM
+1 for South Bay Rod and Gun Club. Membership is $70 a year. All the ROs are good guys. I've been going there since I was 17.

dbo31
04-23-2012, 2:05 PM
Also really depends on where you live..i like Pala and South Bay but both are a good 45 minutes away and gas isn't getting any cheaper

CWUSCG
04-23-2012, 3:01 PM
escondido fish and game has 100 yard and 150 yard outdoor range. but you have to be a member

You just have to know the right people, then shoot for free. :p South Bay has a nice rifle range if you want to shoot out to 300 yds. But you can't shoot there if there isn't a R.O. Usually someone is at the rifle range. But good luck finding a R.O at the pistol range during the week.

SouthpawE46
04-23-2012, 3:44 PM
Iron sights: Oceanside

American Shooting Center: Kearny Mesa

P2k: El Cajon

Discount Gun Mart: Clairemont/Linda Vista and also Santee

The Desert.

Agent 0range
04-23-2012, 5:20 PM
BLM is best, P2K is my second choice, and ASC is 5 minutes away from me, so it's my usual spot.

kris smith
04-23-2012, 6:13 PM
Went to p2k it's a good place really liked it prolly will go back

SURVIVOR619
04-23-2012, 6:35 PM
Went to p2k it's a good place really liked it prolly will go back

Good to hear. I've never been, though it's closest to where I live. My dad, brother, and I split a family membership at Iron-Sights and IMO is the better of the indoor ranges that I've been to. American's staff seems way too pro sometimes. Haven't been to the new discount range...

SouthpawE46
04-23-2012, 6:42 PM
I've seen so many poor reviews about Discount Gun Mart, but they were fine for me.

wsmc27
04-23-2012, 6:48 PM
I've seen so many poor reviews about Discount Gun Mart, but they were fine for me.

^^ This, for pistols anyway. No probs for us out at the Santee location, but for rifles we can only use the 15-22 or the M1 Carbine out there. Unless they changed their backdrops and allow higher-power now??

Prefer SBR&G for longer ranges, even though it's twice as far for us as Iron Sights. Iron Sights (imo) is fine for maybe some function checks, but isn't it like 25yd/75' for the rifle side??

Haven't yet shot at Pala, but it looks pretty cool.

:)

BucDan
04-23-2012, 7:02 PM
No problems here at Discount gun mart off morena. Rifle range.

kris smith
04-23-2012, 7:09 PM
It's clean it's well lit nice sound locks huge supply of reloading guns an accessorys I got a houge rubber grip from there zombie collection that's green ad matches the green accents on my AR

wsmc27
04-23-2012, 7:12 PM
No problems here at Discount gun mart off morena. Rifle range.

Can you guys run 5.56 down there??

kris smith
04-23-2012, 7:32 PM
I Dont Know but at p2k you can run anything under 50bmg and no ap or incendiary

Boltz
04-23-2012, 7:53 PM
Can you guys run 5.56 down there??

Sure can:

r2B4zfIY7qA

Arkangel
04-23-2012, 8:47 PM
I'm surprised no one said the San Diego Revolver club. But P2k is good too. For pistol only I like DGM Santee, friendly staff and the new lanes are great.

BucDan
04-24-2012, 12:23 PM
He revolver club is 25 yards only, handguns only. If they opened their 50 yard and main 25 yard to civilians rifles, im in!

Arkangel
04-24-2012, 1:51 PM
^^^ Forgot the "civilian" part.

pc_load_letter
04-24-2012, 1:57 PM
Be forewarned, P2k has a new policy for rifles that has taken some by surprise and may rub you the wrong way if you don't know about it going in.

If you want to shoot the 50 or 100 yard range, you first need to show your rifle is on paper at 25 yards. They give you a small paper target that you have to show three shots in the four by four square.

While the "test" itself is not hard, and can be a bummer when you go out there on a weekend afternoon and there is nobody on the rifle range yet there is an hour wait for a pistol lane.

A few months ago they were reserving a lane for rifles on the 25 yard range for just this purpose.

Anyways, I've heard plenty of people get their panties in a bunch and act offended when they hear the new policy. But you do it once per rifle and you never have to do it again.

Good luck!

dbo31
04-24-2012, 2:01 PM
Be forewarned, P2k has a new policy for rifles that has taken some by surprise and may rub you the wrong way if you don't know about it going in.

If you want to shoot the 50 or 100 yard range, you first need to show your rifle is on paper at 25 yards. They give you a small paper target that you have to show three shots in the four by four square.

While the "test" itself is not hard, and can be a bummer when you go out there on a weekend afternoon and there is nobody on the rifle range yet there is an hour wait for a pistol lane.

A few months ago they were reserving a lane for rifles on the 25 yard range for just this purpose.

Anyways, I've heard plenty of people get their panties in a bunch and act offended when they hear the new policy. But you do it once per rifle and you never have to do it again.

Good luck!

Ugh..Ive been just going BLM lately..SD has enough BLM land around that its somewhat easy to find a spot and avoid alot of the waiting at most ranges and other arbitrary policies. Thanks for the heads up about P2K

exzpl0sive
04-24-2012, 2:11 PM
P2K is definitely my favorite indoor rifle range. The indoor 100-yd range is awesome. Overall the entire facility is very decent. I also love the trap/5-stand ranges that they have.

frankm
04-24-2012, 2:27 PM
Lame. Same thing with charging by the hour. I drive past them and go to SBRGC. At least there they don't tolerate people horsing around.

Good luck!

pc_load_letter
04-24-2012, 3:01 PM
Great!!! The less people there the better :)

Have fun wasting that gas, oh, and it's a blast out there when it's raining.

Regarding P2k, never seen anyone horsing around there. Not sure what you saw.

Lame. Same thing with charging by the hour. I drive past them and go to SBRGC. At least there they don't tolerate people horsing around.

frankm
04-24-2012, 3:29 PM
I saw two guys with two girls pointing a .44mag all over the place, firing it, and yelling "wha-hoo" and all sorts of stuff. Then you gotta stop every 20 minutes and LEAVE the pistol range? WTF. Now you have to prove your rifle is bore-sighted?. Again, WTF.

At SBRGC, those losers would have been swarmed immediately. P2K is unsafe, expensive, poorly run, and busy. Let's see, 10 bucks for gas to SBRGC on a nice scenic drive, shoot for four-five hours, ON-SITE range masters. Doesn't sound like a waste to me.

d3rvi5h
04-24-2012, 5:27 PM
My son and I have done a half dozen trips to P2K. We've had nothing but pleasant experiences there. The staff was friendly and helpful. I agree that the 15 minute "time out" gets very old after awhile. I recall reading from a few CalGuns members that P2K is working on finishing the concrete block wall so that the two ranges are complete protected from one another which will end the whole time out thing.
Not sure when that exactly is supposed to occur, however . . . .

mdimeo
04-24-2012, 7:45 PM

\

Yeah, I found that really irritating. They claim people were damaging their equipment, but frankly, their equipment consists of cardboard rectangles hanging from the ceiling by cardboard strips. You could miss by five feet and not hit anything valuable.

kris smith
04-24-2012, 7:50 PM
Haha that's funny I thought it was ghetto the way ther targets are made

pc_load_letter
04-24-2012, 9:23 PM
Ha ha, I love how the cease fire at P2k goes from 20 to 15 to 20, ping ponging all over the place.

It's one cease fire per hour.

Never the less, the more people stay away, the better. It's packed all weekend and week nights so it doesn't look like it will hurt their bottom line.

shadowman
04-24-2012, 10:46 PM
Yeah p2k rifle policy is a bit ridiculous. For people who have multiple rifles anyway. I took a couple down there and went through it/ waiting was the worst part.
Once I got home and looked at my other rifles I just said forget that.
South bay by far my favorite rifle range.

dbo31
04-25-2012, 6:25 AM
Great!!! The less people there the better :)

Have fun wasting that gas, oh, and it's a blast out there when it's raining.

We what? 10 days of rain a year around SD? Maybe 15? And why would you go out there in the rain anyway?

Arkangel
04-25-2012, 8:14 AM

Last time I was on the 25 yard side I saw a group take out a light with a rented shotgun, since then I avoid P2K on the weekends.

Ha ha, I love how the cease fire at P2k goes from 20 to 15 to 20, ping ponging all over the place.

It's one cease fire per hour.

Never the less, the more people stay away, the better. It's packed all weekend and week nights so it doesn't look like it will hurt their bottom line.

I find it odd that as busy as they are, the fact that they charge hourly and that they have a "range improvement fund" donation box, they still can't finish that wall.

dbo31
04-25-2012, 9:02 AM
that they have a "range improvement fund" donation box

Lol seriously?

kris smith
04-25-2012, 11:35 AM
Ya I didn't like that that was the first thing I noticed

frankm
04-25-2012, 12:09 PM
You'll like SBRGC, most of the range masters are ex-military and watch people like a hawk. I've only seen "experienced" people shooting there, never nimrods, wannabe gang-bangers, guys trying to impress chicks.

Arkangel
04-25-2012, 1:14 PM
Originally Posted by Arkangel (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=8465990)<br />
that they have a "range improvement fund" donation box<br />
<br />
Lol seriously?

Yeah, unfortunately so.

kris smith
04-26-2012, 10:13 AM
What are the ammo restrictions at iron sights

wsmc27
04-26-2012, 10:26 AM
You'll like SBRGC, most of the range masters are ex-military and watch people like a hawk. I've only seen "experienced" people shooting there, never nimrods, wannabe gang-bangers, guys trying to impress chicks.

Guess you missed me? :p

haha j/k - totally agreed with Frank.

What are the ammo restrictions at iron sights

Haven't been there since last year, it was nothing "magnetic" iirc. Ie no steel core, no Wolf, etc