PDA

View Full Version : Vortex viper PST 4-16X50 eye relief

rtc111
04-23-2012, 12:40 PM
I'm looking to get a vortex viper pst scope, there site says 4" eye relief, but it also says the crossfire has a 3.2-3.7" and I know it doesn't cuz I've shot it. I really like this scope but does anyone have any comments about its eye relief, is it long enough?

I also find I strange the say it's 4 in at any magnification, I find that hard to believe.

Short Action Precision
04-23-2012, 12:53 PM
Just checked mine I dont have a tape measure but its right around 4" for me. Why do you find it strange to think its the same at any magnification? It is for mine. You would not want to have to adjust your position on the rifle depending on the mag.

rtc111
04-23-2012, 1:25 PM
So there is plenty on cofort room for you, it doesn't feel like it brushes your eye or anything weird?

Because on my leupold I have to get closer as I zoom in, not much but I do.

NytWolf
04-23-2012, 1:59 PM
With higher-end scopes, the eye relief does not change as you zoom in on the power. The Vortex Viper PST series is just that -- a higher-end scope. Less expensive scopes will have a varying eye relief. Depending on your Leupold's model, your eye relief decreases as you increase the zoom because it wasn't designed to be a high-end scope.

rtc111
04-23-2012, 2:19 PM
thats a pretty bold statement, leupold admits their mark 4 scopes eye relief varies as you go through the magnification, and thats a $1400 scope (twice as much as the vortex)

ejhc11
04-23-2012, 2:24 PM
thats a pretty bold statement, leupold admits their mark 4 scopes eye relief varies as you go through the magnification, and thats a $1400 scope (twice as much as the vortex)

They sure do mark up them Leupolds in price.... A lot less for Vortex scopes.

rtc111
04-23-2012, 2:26 PM
i know its crazy, and ive heard nothing but good thing from vortex until i started hearing about eye relief problems :(

Hope someone can sum it up for me.

HK Dave
04-23-2012, 2:38 PM
The variance in eye relief is pretty minor... depending on how close you position your scope... it'll just mean you get some tunnel vision at lower magnifications. Lot of folks just don't care about some minor tunneling.

The only Vortex scope I'm aware of that had eye relief problems was the Razor... but the eyepiece was redesigned and the problems are gone.

4" is quite a bit of eye relief... if you need more, it probably ain't the scope or the rifle, it's the operator that isn't controlling the recoil.

NytWolf
04-23-2012, 2:41 PM
They sure do mark up them Leupolds in price.... A lot less for Vortex scopes.

Yep. Agreed. To me, Leupolds aren't worth their price because of the markup. The Vortex scopes are a great buy. Ask CSTactical ... he had a customer trade in a Leupold Mark IV once he saw the Vortex Viper.

saki302
04-23-2012, 3:57 PM
Thing with Leupold is- they are a proven company, and their warranty is :thumbsup:

For the price though, Vortex seems to make some good stuff. I'm curious to see how they hold up in the long term.

-Dave

HK Dave
04-23-2012, 4:03 PM
Thing with Leupold is- they are a proven company, and their warranty is :thumbsup:

For the price though, Vortex seems to make some good stuff. I'm curious to see how they hold up in the long term.

-Dave

Agreed... however at this point... Vortex higher level optics have proven to hold up just fine I think and their warranty is second to none.

NytWolf
04-23-2012, 4:06 PM

-Dave

True enough, but I have read that there are some Leupolds (recent manufacturings) that have failed due to heavy recoil. This is over at the Weatherby forums. Whatever it is, due to these reports and other reports, it seems as if Leupold quality reached its peak. It's similar to what I would say a Toyota is ... they've reached a point where they can't control everything that goes on, and quality suffers. Albeit, Toyotas are still reliable, there are problems cropping up here and there.

HK Dave
04-23-2012, 4:09 PM
When in doubt, go Nightforce. ;)

::yah yah, I know i'm a Nightforce Fan Boy::

GettoPhilosopher
04-24-2012, 2:45 PM
Eye relief is just fine for mine (PST 4-16x50 FFP MIL) in a Bobro mount on an AR308.

gmcal
04-24-2012, 3:35 PM
I have the same model PST you're looking at. I used it on a 5.56 AR mounted in a ADM recon-30 with a Vltor Emod stock. Once I found the best combination of stock position, scope/mount placement, and my head position I only had to make very small adjustments when changing the magnification.

That scope and mount is now on a newly built 5.56 AR with an A2 stock but I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet so I can't comment on using it with a non-adjustable stock.

I put a Leupold VX-r Patrol 1.25-4 scope mounted in an ADM recon-30 on the AR with the Emod and had to find the sweet spot there as well.

If you use proper shooting technique I doubt you'll have any problems.