PDA

View Full Version : Is this bad to do this to your AK?

Mr. Gillious
04-23-2012, 11:17 AM
I had an idea since I like to put a lot of rounds down range but I hate when my barrel overheats.

Do you think it's a good idea to put heat exhaust wrap around my ak barrel under the gas tube and in the lower handguard?

Please give me your opinion before I do something stupid

Midtown Gunner
04-23-2012, 11:28 AM
If I understand you, you want to wrap the barrel so that you can't feel the heat, as opposed to finding a way to dissipate the heat faster?

If so, I wouldn't recommend it. A barrel that gets hot is going to be less accurate; if you're shooting an AK you can't afford to lose any. :p Also, containing the heat is only going to extend the cooling time, and it could possibly harm the barrel if it got higher than its design parameters.

odysseus
04-23-2012, 11:35 AM
Wrapping your barrel would cause the barrel to heat up faster, probably get it hotter given the same amount of use, and slow its ability to cool off. Why would you want to do that?

ENTHUSIAST
04-23-2012, 11:38 AM
Why do you think they made a forward grip lower hand guard? :D

vikingm03
04-23-2012, 11:39 AM
That heat you feel coming off your barrel is a good thing, that is the barrel cooling down. If you put something like exhaust wrap over the barrel you are insulating the barrel and it will heat up faster and stay hot longer, though you will feel less heat on your hands. If all you care about is the comfort of your hands then ya wrap away.

Mr. Gillious
04-23-2012, 11:47 AM
if i didn't want to feel the heat I'd wear gloves, no pun intended

read this article or product...
http://www.jscspeed.com/catalog/Thermo_Tec_Exhaust_Wrap_Wrap_Accessories-386-1.html

my thinking is that it would abosorb the heat making the barrel cooler a little bit longer

Mr. Gillious
04-23-2012, 11:49 AM
ok that's enough votes, i won't do it hahaha

Mr. Gillious
04-23-2012, 11:50 AM
is it bad to pour water on it to cool it down?

odysseus
04-23-2012, 11:52 AM
There is no free lunch.

These tapes are used to keep the interior engine bay temps down. Heat wash is an issue that can raise intake temperatures that rob horsepower. Wrapping the exhaust means you are limiting by some degree the radiant heat of the exhaust manifold in the engine bay. However your headers will get very hot, but then headers are meant to be very hot.

Applying this to rifle barrels is actually the wrong direction to go in. You want your barrel to wash off its heat more actually if possible. Think it through.

if i didn't want to feel the heat I'd wear gloves, no pun intended

read this article or product...
http://www.jscspeed.com/catalog/Thermo_Tec_Exhaust_Wrap_Wrap_Accessories-386-1.html

my thinking is that it would abosorb the heat making the barrel cooler a little bit longer

AR15 Guy
Would you ever put water on hot car engine?

odysseus
Did you study physical sciences at all in high school?

is it bad to pour water on it to cool it down?

Squid
04-23-2012, 12:05 PM
bend it so it is a 'spikey' circle, like a sun symbol and wrap them around the round parts that get hot.

Thus they would be going the opposite direction of this Thompson and going same direction as "fluted".

But note this guy says it don't do much good, but I think it would conduct a lot of heat.

osis32
04-23-2012, 12:13 PM
I know there are some old school machine vibs that had water cooling barrel shrouds so it's not bad in every instance. But I imagine that cools evenly. pouring water on there might not be a good idea.

nick
04-23-2012, 12:51 PM
Out of curiosity, how fast are you shooting it? These barrels were made with full auto at 600 rnds/min in mind.

nick
04-23-2012, 12:53 PM

It depends on how hot it is. You don't put it on the car engine, as there're other things there that can be ruined by water (contacts, etc.), and because you gotta be careful with all the hot steam that'll produce. However, it shouldn't affect heat treating and tempering of the metal, unless it's at the temperature where it's affected whether you put water on it or not.

chead
04-23-2012, 1:39 PM
Out of curiosity, how fast are you shooting it? These barrels were made with full auto at 600 rnds/min in mind.

You wouldn't want to touch the barrel after a full auto magdump, either. If you're at the range and your gun is cool enough to touch with a bare hand, you need to shoot some more ;)

S470FM
04-23-2012, 1:53 PM
don't pour water on your barrel, it might cause the steel to fatigue or crack. Even if you are shooting a lot of rounds through your gun, isn't that kind of unnecessary? AKs are horrible when it comes to accuracy, are you just looking to spray? IMHO, I like shooting my guns, not spraying.

bohoki
04-23-2012, 4:31 PM
ive got my ak pretty hot before its easy in just four 30 round mags fired off in 2 minutes

it takes a while for it to cool

nick
04-23-2012, 5:04 PM
You wouldn't want to touch the barrel after a full auto magdump, either. If you're at the range and your gun is cool enough to touch with a bare hand, you need to shoot some more ;)

That you wouldn't, but I wasn't suggesting touching it, either. That's what handguards and forward grips are for.

Army
04-23-2012, 6:06 PM
It's not hot until the handguards go up in flames :)

Mamluke
04-23-2012, 6:43 PM
don't pour water on your barrel, it might cause the steel to fatigue or crack ...

.... OP jus wait for an iceberg so both you & your AK can SINK like the TITANIC ....

... and after adding the 'heat exhaust wrap' how about a cappuccino cup holder next to that barrel, jus to keep that succa warm while shooting ... :43:

... Even if you are shooting a lot of rounds through your gun, isn't that kind of unnecessary? AKs are horrible when it comes to accuracy, are you just looking to spray? IMHO, I like shooting my guns, not spraying.

wha ?!!! ... AK's are 'horrible for accuracy'?! Just exactly who's doing that kinda shooting? Gotta be someone like THIS GUY:

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRXj8tZ4bJAAkSgdaf7ixndM2vFk0p3Q D0KQOLZBYQ7P2iis2_JZpCvJ6emWA

...... :43:

Hopy
04-23-2012, 6:47 PM
Too hot to handle? Just whip out the wanger and take a leak on it. The smell of burnt urine really gets the nasal passages clear and clears out the shooting lanes next to you:rofl2:

Mamluke
04-23-2012, 7:24 PM
Too hot to handle? Just whip out the wanger and take a leak on it. The smell of burnt urine really gets the nasal passages clear and clears out the shooting lanes next to you:rofl2:

... now we're TALKING lol .... some VERY SOUND advice .... finally ... :43:

bigbob76
04-23-2012, 9:31 PM
If I had a burrito I wanted to eat for lunch but didn't want to eat it cold I would wrap that tape around the burrito onto the barrel. After about 500 rounds downrange I would take a break and eat my nice toasty warm burrito.:43:

Grumpyoldretiredcop
04-24-2012, 4:17 PM

I thought you were supposed to do that DOWN the barrel. Have I been doing it wrong all these years? :laugh:

SJgunguy24
04-24-2012, 4:49 PM
You want to remove heat from the barrel. Air works well but a liquid works better, the problem is unless you have a constant flow of water to remove the heat, you risk thermal shock to the barrel. That could warp and or cause any defects in the barrel material to show up pretty quickly. Pour hot water on a cold winsheild with a tiny crack and see what happens. Your best bet is punch more holes in your handguard to allow the air to remove the heat.

Mamluke
04-24-2012, 5:10 PM
You want to remove heat from the barrel. Air works well but a liquid works better, the problem is unless you have a constant flow of water to remove the heat, you risk thermal shock to the barrel. That could warp and or cause any defects in the barrel material to show up pretty quickly. Pour hot water on a cold winsheild with a tiny crack and see what happens. Your best bet is punch more holes in your handguard to allow the air to remove the heat.

SPOILER! ... we were just starting to have FUN! ... :popcorn: ...

..... +1

Hopy
04-24-2012, 7:34 PM
I thought you were supposed to do that DOWN the barrel. Have I been doing it wrong all these years? :laugh:

Can't do it down the barrell since i have horrible aim:D

d4v0s
04-24-2012, 8:27 PM
Just so its out there. most header wraps attract water and moisture.

A guns finish doesnt like moisture

Mr. Gillious
04-29-2012, 5:50 AM

i am probably shooting 80 rounds per minute and shooting 1000 rounds. not spraying but plinking at 50 yards

Mr. Gillious
04-29-2012, 5:55 AM
Did you study physical sciences at all in high school?

haha yes i did and i almost had to take summer school for it, almost failed. however, the following years when i took bio and anatomy/physiology, i passed every test and was one of the top students in my class. i just had a bad phys sci teacher, RIP his soul tho

fighterpilot562
04-29-2012, 8:02 AM
Do NOT wrap your barrel or just dump water onto the barrel, you know unless you wanna screw up your gun.

SJgunguy24
04-29-2012, 9:17 AM
SPOILER! ... we were just starting to have FUN! ... :popcorn: ...

..... +1

Your having fun, i'm trying to give the guy sound advice.

manuelcardenas77
04-29-2012, 9:28 AM
Bro don't listen to any o these guys! Just try both methods then post some pics.... ;)

Mail Clerk
04-29-2012, 9:30 AM
I had an idea since I like to put a lot of rounds down range but I hate when my barrel overheats.

Do you think it's a good idea to put heat exhaust wrap around my ak barrel under the gas tube and in the lower handguard?

Please give me your opinion before I do something stupid

Don't do it! Your rifle is air cooled so if it gets too hot just stop lock the bolt back and let it sit for 5 minutes or so. Remember yourin California and not in Alaska

Mail Clerk

zfields
04-29-2012, 9:33 AM
Don't do it! Your rifle is air cooled so if it gets too hot just stop lock the bolt back and let it sit for 5 minutes or so. Remember yourin California and not in Alaska

Mail Clerk

You realize we are talking Ak's here... Gonna go on a limb here and bet the OP doesnt have a notched safety lever.

mycrstuff
04-29-2012, 9:44 AM
Did you ever notice in the photos of guys shooting AKs that a lot of them have a rag in their left hand. This is to keep your hand from burning. I have tried it and it works quite well.

giantsfan650
04-29-2012, 10:25 AM
Gil, its an AK. Run it until it catches fire. Glove your left hand if heat begins to alter the way you grip the front of the rifle.

.....and dont pour water on your rifle.

Mr. Gillious
04-29-2012, 10:39 AM
Gil, its an AK. Run it until it catches fire. Glove your left hand if heat begins to alter the way you grip the front of the rifle.

.....and dont pour water on your rifle.

if it catches fire i will light a cigarette with it and make sure you take my pic

Bhobbs
04-29-2012, 10:55 AM

How do you think they get cooled? Water flows through the engine.

Mr. Gillious
04-29-2012, 10:59 AM
How do you think they get cooled? Water flows through the engine.

lol yeah i don't know about that guy. it really depends on how hot the engine is and how cold the water is.

I've squirted the hell out of so many engines with simple green and/oil eater while the engine was still running, then i took a garden hose and sprayed the whole engine down while the engine still running. blew it dry with compressed air, with engine still running. BTW it really cleaned the engine up

sold that car on CL a couple hours later

amd64
04-29-2012, 2:34 PM
Buy another AK. Shoot one while the other cools down.

acaligunner
04-29-2012, 2:46 PM
I've had the handguards bubble up when I ran one thru a test.

Why don't you just add a rail system to the handguard/gas tube, and run a vertical grip>

Hopy
04-29-2012, 2:50 PM

Now that is the best idea so far. I think I will use that reason to build another AR.

Mr. Gillious
04-29-2012, 3:46 PM

i most certainly WILL buy another AK. I got my eyes on an arsenal sgl21. still want to check out a couple shops in my area tho.

I've had the handguards bubble up when I ran one thru a test.

Why don't you just add a rail system to the handguard/gas tube, and run a vertical grip>

i would rather do that on my next ak, not on this century gp1975 i have right now

chead
04-29-2012, 4:32 PM
Don't throw cold water on a hot barrel. It's in no way the same as cold water on a hot engine (which you should also not do).

acaligunner
04-29-2012, 5:35 PM
Mr Gillious wrote:
i would rather do that on my next ak, not on this century gp1975 i have right now

Maybe you can look into the Magpul VG option, don't know what to say, that spot always gets hot.

acaligunner

repubconserv
04-30-2012, 12:44 PM
Im surprised no one has mentioned Red Jacket's Idea for this

ANYDyqE-ud0

It's a game changer I tell ya, Neva bin dun befo.

AK all day
04-30-2012, 12:55 PM
Guns like to be hot.

Chontkleer
04-30-2012, 12:57 PM
If I had a burrito I wanted to eat for lunch but didn't want to eat it cold I would wrap that tape around the burrito onto the barrel. After about 500 rounds downrange I would take a break and eat my nice toasty warm burrito.:43:

{{Spit take}}

There was an episode of Bizarre Foods set in Alaska where they'd prep a meal (in tinfoil, iirc?), stuff it in the engine compartment of their snomobiles, drive off and it would be cooked perfectly once they got to their destination.

chead
04-30-2012, 12:59 PM
Im surprised no one has mentioned Red Jacket's Idea for this

ANYDyqE-ud0

It's a game changer I tell ya, Neva bin dun befo.

Why? Why do this?! Discovery Channel nooo :(