PDA

View Full Version : Concept: 3 way magazine well extension? (just for fun, w/ pics)

sharxbyte
04-23-2012, 10:48 AM
If you had a three way insert for an AR's magazine well that was permanently (read bullet button) fixed, and had three more well's with bullet buttons, and a selector switch to designate which well you were drawing from... Wouldn't it be classified as a weapon with more than one magazine well, rather than potentially 30+ round feeding device? If the well was manufactured so as to not accept ammo by itself?

It would almost definitely require proprietary magazines to be able to push the bullets all the way into the chamber without feeding issues...

BUT, if it could be made to work reliably, would this hypothetical invention be legal? Can a gun have more than one magazine well?

EDIT:

Here is basically what I was thinking... I could try and get more detailed, but it would be kind of pointless considering I'll never make it anyway... Could be fun to have 90 rds outside of Cali, but if I need that might as well get a beta c.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb197/mugglle/magwellconcept2.png

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb197/mugglle/magwellconcept.png

CHS
04-23-2012, 12:51 PM
It might still be considered a semi-automatic, centerfire fixed-magazine rifle with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds. That = Assault Weapon.

osis32
04-23-2012, 1:19 PM
That sounds overly complicated and not worth the time investment to pursue.

sharxbyte
04-23-2012, 1:24 PM
thanks ;)

S470FM
04-23-2012, 1:56 PM
shooting 10 rounds at a time isn't that bad, is it? develop your muscle memory to change your mags out in a fast manner and use the bolt release paddle. simple.

echotebarknwhale
04-23-2012, 2:01 PM
Wow, why not just stick with the one magazine and well? Your just going to add lots of useless weight to your gun, and 3+ bullet buttons... all for what 20 extra rounds? :facepalm:

CHS
04-23-2012, 2:35 PM
shooting 10 rounds at a time isn't that bad, is it? develop your muscle memory to change your mags out in a fast manner and use the bolt release paddle. simple.

Simple, sure. But there's that whole nagging violation of civil rights and all.

Johnnyfres
04-23-2012, 2:42 PM
Wow I would love to see that concept haha. I just wrote a two verse song about it.

A mag on the left a mag on the right a mag on the bottom we are doing alright. Yes and don't forget the bullet button x3 because you know the state we live is not free.

You just made my AR look like a crucifix but we all know that :useless:

Anyone want to keep it going because I am out of ideas :D

cabinetguy
04-23-2012, 3:03 PM
i would love to see a concept

sharxbyte
04-23-2012, 4:48 PM
haha I'll work on it just for fun ;)

kalbos
04-23-2012, 5:05 PM
Interesting idea.

You could make replace the mag well with a frame that slides to the left and right. Then you have your mag wells attach to the the frame and have them raise up when you want to feed from that mag.

MrPlink
04-23-2012, 5:30 PM
It would cost me less $$$ to move to Nevada purely for firearm related reasons than it would for you to develop such a device.

Peter.Steele
04-23-2012, 5:43 PM
Don't know about the feasibility of doing it with an AR, but there shouldn't be any legal issues with it so long as only one magazine may feed at a time. Think about the Kel-Tec KSG shotgun. Two separate magazines, there's a selector that determines which one you feed from.

MrPlink
04-23-2012, 6:02 PM
Think about the Kel-Tec KSG shotgun. Two separate magazines, there's a selector that determines which one you feed from.

+1 this is what I was thinking.

CHS
04-23-2012, 6:22 PM
Don't know about the feasibility of doing it with an AR, but there shouldn't be any legal issues with it so long as only one magazine may feed at a time. Think about the Kel-Tec KSG shotgun. Two separate magazines, there's a selector that determines which one you feed from.

There are no magazine capacity issues for shotguns.

However, a fixed-magazine semi-auto, centerfire rifle, CANNOT have a capacity of more than 10 rounds.

Putting 30 rounds into such a rifle, even if a selector switch is needed to change magazines, very well could be illegal.

We're not talking about violating the large-capacity magazine statutes here, we're talking about violating the assault weapons regulations.

sharxbyte
04-23-2012, 8:57 PM
Here is basically what I was thinking... I could try and get more detailed, but it would be kind of pointless considering I'll never make it anyway... Could be fun to have 90 rds outside of Cali, but if I need that might as well get a beta c.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb197/mugglle/magwellconcept2.png

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb197/mugglle/magwellconcept.png

gotshotgun?
04-23-2012, 9:53 PM
Nicely done!

chunker
04-23-2012, 10:03 PM
Love the idea but if I really wanted 30 rounds I'd just drive to Vegas =)

GettoPhilosopher
04-24-2012, 12:53 PM
Or....you could just go featureless and await the mythical mag workaround.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

MrPlink
04-24-2012, 1:26 PM
if you can get that contraption to work there are some big companies that would love to have you on board.
Surefire cant even get their - simple by comparison - quad stacks to work 100% correctly, what more something like this beast?

sharxbyte
04-24-2012, 4:28 PM
Maybe if I lose my job I'll work on inventing x)

SNCaliber
04-25-2012, 3:38 PM
i think this may be useless for ca legality but may be cool for out of state shooters with a 90 round capacity!

jeffsenpai
04-25-2012, 3:43 PM
imagine having 3 100rnd surefire magazines in that thing! Would be awesome for other states. Looks like something Red Jacket Firearms would mock up :)

newglockster
04-25-2012, 3:44 PM
I just wrote a two verse song about it.

A mag on the left a mag on the right a mag on the bottom we are doing alright. Yes and don't forget the bullet button x3 because you know the state we live is not free.

LOL! :D

CHS
04-25-2012, 3:55 PM
imagine having 3 100rnd surefire magazines in that thing! Would be awesome for other states. Looks like something Red Jacket Firearms would mock up :)

Yeah, because hauling a 30lb rifle would be AWESOME.

sharxbyte
04-25-2012, 5:53 PM
might melt the barrel x):43:

Diabolus
04-25-2012, 6:04 PM
Guarantee this is on next weeks Red Jacket episode.

You just opened up a new market.

morthrane
04-25-2012, 6:50 PM
However, a fixed-magazine semi-auto, centerfire rifle, CANNOT have a capacity of more than 10 rounds.

Putting 30 rounds into such a rifle, even if a selector switch is needed to change magazines, very well could be illegal.

We're not talking about violating the large-capacity magazine statutes here, we're talking about violating the assault weapons regulations.

By that line of logic, using magazine couplers on a BB'd evil feature gun would be illegal.

Sure sounds like a gray area-- if each magazine uses a BB, and there's a selector switch that must be manually (not automatically) activated to use another magazine... at no point is the weapon able to fire more than 10 rounds without operator intervention.

sharxbyte
04-25-2012, 6:57 PM
By that line of logic, using magazine couplers on a BB'd evil feature gun would be illegal.

Sure sounds like a gray area-- if each magazine uses a BB, and there's a selector switch that must be manually (not automatically) activated to use another magazine... at no point is the weapon able to fire more than 10 rounds without operator intervention.

That could work; Put a pivot point at the junction, and a locking mechanism to hold it at the selected magazine, then elevate the mag to proper height. When the 1st mag is empty, unlock, move to next mag, and re lock.