PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 10/22 Barrel questions

xavierpoe
04-22-2012, 10:05 PM
I am looking to buy a brand new 10/22 for lots and lots of plinking.

Which model would be best for shooting over 500 rounds in a single session?

Should i lean towards the target/bull barrel models due to excessive heat from so many rounds?

In my research i haven't seen a stock model with a bull barrel that comes with iron sights. Do they exist as a stock option or should i be looking in the aftermarket for them?

I am not currently interested in aftermarket crazy stocks or flashy add-ons, Maybe a solid hogue stock, but that's it.

Would just like to hear some 10/22 owners opinions on which model is best for a 500 round session right out of the box.

ojisan
04-22-2012, 10:38 PM
Bull barrels take longer to heat up and longer to cool down.
Hard to imagine generating enough heat to cause a barrel problem even with the original tapered barrel.
You would need 50 loaded 10-round mags to go through 500 rounds fast in CA.
500 rounds in an afternoon (2-3 hours) at a typical shooting pace is nothing.

Nodak Spud makes bull barrel iron sight sets.

GSwain
04-22-2012, 10:38 PM
all of them honestly. Loading the mags will give it time to cool. 22lr doesn't generate all that much heat either. Great little rifles tho!

xavierpoe
04-22-2012, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the info, that make things much easier, and cheaper since the bull barrel models cost more.

I will definetly be investing in extra magazines :43:

rogervzv
04-23-2012, 12:21 AM
Any Ruger 10/22 can handle any reasonable pace of shooting. 500 rounds is nothing. A little barrel heat is normal and inevitable and the rifle was designed for it. Put another way, warming up the barrel is the gun's way of telling you that it likes you. :43:

Greg90731
04-23-2012, 3:18 PM
I have a 10/22 target model in stainless steel with the Ruger hammer forged barrel. The rifle is a nail driver and I love it. I looks pretty sweet with a simple hogue molded stock and a bipod.
I would say that it necessitates a few trips to the gym to work on the biceps because this barrel is heavy! Still worth it to me but you are happy that you can only have 10 rounds magazine when you shoot it free standing... :)

JNunez23
04-23-2012, 3:51 PM
I went with a Green Mountain 20" - Hogue Stock - UTG "Harris" style bipod-