PDA

View Full Version : Need iron sight suggestions for AR

Flowmini98
04-22-2012, 10:28 PM
Now i may have some of my wording incorrect but try to bear with me. Im looking for suggestions on new iron sights for my AR. I have a low profile gas block(sits lower than my free float hand rails) so I need something for the front that will be tall enough. I would like to replace the rear as well...and im looking for suggestions. Thanks

Ive attatched a photo of what my setup looks like.

Reverend Clint
04-22-2012, 11:53 PM
i have the same gas block and bought a fixed front sight from UTG off amazon. Anything else wont work unless you get specific gas block front sight.

Rear sight is all up to how you want it set up. ive used magpul, caa and just a utg rear a2 set up, im cheap.

tacticalcity
04-23-2012, 12:04 AM
That is not a low profile gas block. It is a standard height railed gas block. Call it by that name and people will be able to help you. A low profile gas black has no rail, and is meant to fit underneath a railed forend.

Don't feel bad, it is a very common mistake new guys make. Major pet peeve of parts sellers, however.

It is important that if you want to solve the problem that you call the gas block by the correct name because it directly impacts your problem.

Sounds like your front sight is meant to be rail mounted and not gas block mounted. For now, move it to the very front of your railed forend. When you have more money buy a "gas block front sight".

RoundEye
04-23-2012, 12:06 AM
I would say Matech for the rear as it is elevation adjustable out to 600M. It's also standard military issue from what I have been told.

Flowmini98
04-23-2012, 12:29 AM
That is not a low profile gas block. It is a standard height railed gas block. Call it by that name and people will be able to help you. A low profile gas black has no rail, and is meant to fit underneath a railed forend.

Don't feel bad, it is a very common mistake new guys make. Major pet peeve of parts sellers, however.

It is important that if you want to solve the problem that you call the gas block by the correct name because it directly impacts your problem.

Sounds like your front sight is meant to be rail mounted and not gas block mounted. For now, move it to the very front of your railed forend. When you have more money buy a "gas block front sight".

Thanks for the correction. My current sight is mounted as far forward as possible right now(hard to tell from the picture)

scotty99
04-23-2012, 1:04 AM
I believe Yankee Hill Machine makes a proper height front sight for this setup, or for only slightly more cash they have a gas block with integral folding sight. While maybe not quite as nice as Troy, they make good stuff.

tacticalcity
04-23-2012, 1:27 AM
Thanks for the correction. My current sight is mounted as far forward as possible right now(hard to tell from the picture)

You misunderstand. Take it off the gas block and put it on the forend. It is not a gas block sight. It is a forend sight. It is unusable right now. Put it on your railed forend (handguards) and it will be at the correct height and usable.

madland
04-23-2012, 1:39 AM
I believe Yankee Hill Machine makes a proper height front sight for this setup, or for only slightly more cash they have a gas block with integral folding sight. While maybe not quite as nice as Troy, they make good stuff.

X2 on the YHM sights. I have a set of folding sights on my Spikes AR and love them..have the night sights on the rear..haven't added them on the front yet but that will be done soon enough. Check out vtsupply.com for some good deals on different brands of sights.. YHM/Magpul/MI/Troy..and on and on. That's where I bought mine. Good luck with your choice.

sharxbyte
04-23-2012, 10:41 AM
i have the same gas block and bought a fixed front sight from UTG off amazon. Anything else wont work unless you get specific gas block front sight.

Rear sight is all up to how you want it set up. ive used magpul, caa and just a utg rear a2 set up, im cheap.

I looked at the UTG and Global Military Group (GMG) and wasn't happy with their feedback... UTG also doesn't take standard posts, and I'm replacing mine with the KNC crosshair post. (I haven't used either, but I looked at LOTS of reviews)

I payed double for the Armalite.

Kelster1574
04-23-2012, 3:40 PM
Midwest Industries for me..

jdmacl
04-23-2012, 7:10 PM
YH complete set for $150

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...product_id=275

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...product_id=277

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...roduct_id=1380

Reverend Clint
04-24-2012, 2:48 PM
I looked at the UTG and Global Military Group (GMG) and wasn't happy with their feedback... UTG also doesn't take standard posts, and I'm replacing mine with the KNC crosshair post. (I haven't used either, but I looked at LOTS of reviews)

I payed double for the Armalite.

I bet you its made in the same factory in china.

Flowmini98
04-24-2012, 4:59 PM
You misunderstand. Take it off the gas block and put it on the forend. It is not a gas block sight. It is a forend sight. It is unusable right now. Put it on your railed forend (handguards) and it will be at the correct height and usable.

Your right, I did misunderstand the first post, but I did originally put the sights on my handgaurd rails and the front sight was too high to align with the rear sight. Currently where its mounted on the gas block rail it aligns well with the rear sights BUT my issue with these sights is that they dont "lock" or "click" into the up/down positions so every now and then they like to flip down on their own while shooting my rifle.