PDA

View Full Version : Sig Mosquito jam jam jam

toby77
04-22-2012, 10:19 PM
Been having my mosquito for sometime now, after about 800 rounds down range, failure to eject/feed has became something i'm a little used to unless i'm shooting the more expensive CCI mini mags, but they're just too over priced so most of the time I use the Federal 550 rounds value packs.

Every clip or two I got a failure to eject where the bullet case sits inside the chamber like the slide never racked back, or a failure to feed -- a empty chamber. Again, I have pretty much zero problem while using the CCI mini mags.

Is this something anyone else had experienced? Or I should steer away from the Federal bulk pack now.

rogervzv
04-23-2012, 1:22 AM
The Mosquito is known for being picky about ammunition and not liking bulk ammo.

boyfalldown
04-23-2012, 7:03 AM
Mine does the same with federal. Give CCI blazer a try. It's
Just as inexpensive as federal, but my mosquito loves it. The
Only downside is lead fouling. Somewhere around 500 rounds I'll
notice accuracy falling off a bit, so I'll pull a boresnake through
and all is well for the next 500 rounds. After switching to blazer
my failure rate has become 1-2 per thousand rounds.

chucksolo69
04-23-2012, 10:57 AM
Yep, I went to the range with my cousin who recently bought a Mosquito on Saturday. He had called me and asked me what kind of ammo he should buy and I gold him CCI Mini Mags. Typically, he got the Winchester 550 bulk ammo at Wal-Mart; he is the "thrifty" sort. And, typically the results were that the gun had failures to feed, or fire or eject on 3-4 rounds of EVERY magazine full. Curiously, it worked superbly with the 3 boxes of Remington Thunderbold RNL cartridges I brought for my Browning 1911 .22 A1; my Browning on the other hand, ate the Winchesters and the Thunderbolts with no problems other than I had 2 rounds of the Winchester bulk that refused to fire, in my Browning and in my GSG-5. I am of the opinion that Winchester bulk stuff is pretty badly made.

theduece
04-23-2012, 11:20 AM
I don't own a mosquito but do own the walther and a few other .22's. Almost all of them tend to be picky about the ammo. Generally they will run well on cci bulk. Give it a shot...lol pun intended.

I also experience >1-2 per 1k ftf,fte with the CCI blazer bulk

yelohamr
04-23-2012, 4:47 PM
I started out with CCI, but for the past couple of years I shoot Fiocchi, and Aquila SSS 60 grain, in my Mosquito. Also, polishing the ramp will help a lot.

toby77
04-23-2012, 5:09 PM
Mine does the same with federal. Give CCI blazer a try. It's
Just as inexpensive as federal, but my mosquito loves it. The
Only downside is lead fouling. Somewhere around 500 rounds I'll
notice accuracy falling off a bit, so I'll pull a boresnake through
and all is well for the next 500 rounds. After switching to blazer
my failure rate has become 1-2 per thousand rounds.

I don't own a mosquito but do own the walther and a few other .22's. Almost all of them tend to be picky about the ammo. Generally they will run well on cci bulk. Give it a shot...lol pun intended.

Will try the CCI blazer as suggested, thanks guys

toby77
04-23-2012, 5:19 PM
Yep, I went to the range with my cousin who recently bought a Mosquito on Saturday. He had called me and asked me what kind of ammo he should buy and I gold him CCI Mini Mags. Typically, he got the Winchester 550 bulk ammo at Wal-Mart; he is the "thrifty" sort. And, typically the results were that the gun had failures to feed, or fire or eject on 3-4 rounds of EVERY magazine full. Curiously, it worked superbly with the 3 boxes of Remington Thunderbold RNL cartridges I brought for my Browning 1911 .22 A1; my Browning on the other hand, ate the Winchesters and the Thunderbolts with no problems other than I had 2 rounds of the Winchester bulk that refused to fire, in my Browning and in my GSG-5. I am of the opinion that Winchester bulk stuff is pretty badly made.

I did shot a few of those Winchester bulk packs from walmart. Horrible horrible ammo, way worse than the federal i'm using, jams like a motherfu#$%* in my mosquito.

Eat Dirt
04-23-2012, 5:33 PM
Maybe this is why we're always seeing a Sig Mosquito in the Firearms For sale section

mkane
04-23-2012, 6:23 PM
Slow down the shooting a bit, try and hit your target, the pistol will jam less. Or use mini-mags.

Dirtbikindad393
04-23-2012, 9:04 PM
The Mosquito comes with two recoil springs which one is installed in yours? It makes a difference. Please let us know if you have changed the spring and which one you use with which ammo. With the correct spring the gun will work flawlessly.

srvgtrfan
04-23-2012, 9:55 PM
+1 or 2 on the CCI Blazers! Mine loves them. No problems at all using these.

Knife Edge
04-25-2012, 8:25 AM
Bought mine some time back and hardly had any issues to speak of with the CCI mini-mags. After 2 packs of those (200) I tried the Federal bulk pack with great luck. I would get a jam every fifth or six magazine (great opportunity to run a clearing drill) but this has cleared up with time. The gun currently has 4,000 rounds through it and runs like a swiss watch on Federal bulk. I do use liberal amounts of SLIP 2000.

JMP
04-25-2012, 9:27 AM
I recently started using federal instead of CCI minimag in my Mosquito ever since Walmart hasn't had CCI minimag readily available--I ain't spending $.10 a round at a gun shop for 22. I found that neither recoil spring works well with federal, but changing around lubricants got federal (blue box) working reasonably well. I'll give CCI blazer a shot--good tip. I actually love it when it doesn't feed because then I know I am shooting well if my sights don't move when pull the trigger. The CCI stinger is fun to shoot with your heavier recoil spring because you get muzzle flash.

BLUE&GOLD
04-25-2012, 9:48 PM
try remington golden bullets. Those work like a charm for my mosquito. It's jam city if i feed my mosquito winchester bulk packs. I haven't tried federal bulk, but i'm assuming ill get the same horrible results

toby77
04-25-2012, 10:01 PM
Slow down the shooting a bit, try and hit your target, the pistol will jam less. Or use mini-mags.

Slowing down didn't help :(

toby77
04-25-2012, 10:03 PM
The Mosquito comes with two recoil springs which one is installed in yours? It makes a difference. Please let us know if you have changed the spring and which one you use with which ammo. With the correct spring the gun will work flawlessly.

Either springs works well with federal n winchester bulk ammo, still haven't tried the CCI blazers yet. Will update

toby77
04-25-2012, 10:08 PM
Bought mine some time back and hardly had any issues to speak of with the CCI mini-mags. After 2 packs of those (200) I tried the Federal bulk pack with great luck. I would get a jam every fifth or six magazine (great opportunity to run a clearing drill) but this has cleared up with time. The gun currently has 4,000 rounds through it and runs like a swiss watch on Federal bulk. I do use liberal amounts of SLIP 2000.

I did hear rumors that this gun need some serious "break-in", mine currently have about 1000 round count give or take and it it jamming a little less often. Only time will tell

JMP
04-25-2012, 10:44 PM
OK, I was curious about the suggestions, so I went to try CCI Blazer. Walmart didn't have it. So I tried Federal Auto Match. 40 grain, 1200 fps muzzle, and solid point. These are a bit more expensive than the cheaper bulk packs, but way cheaper than CCI minimag. To much surprise, they worked flawlessly. I put down a whole box of 325 rounds waiting for jams. Only 1 jam. They actually work better than CCI minimag for me.

Good post. I am happy I can save a few bucks practicing w/ my mosquito.

santamonica9
04-26-2012, 6:12 PM
mine doesnt like remington goldens OR the federal bulk packs from wally world. works great on CCI minimag's but the cost jumps up. I havent tried the other spring yet, but I usually bring some CLP to spray on the ramp, chamber & extractor then bore snake it and it runs back to normal. these guns all have issues with the low velocity .22 stay away from them.

I did try the CCI Stingers and I was double tapping head shots like a pro :D

Wombats Are Dangerous
04-26-2012, 11:43 PM

+1 to this. I switched to the lighter spring and my Mosquito eats every box of cheap ammo I put in it.

On the flip side, before I switched, I got in a LOT of practice with malfunction drills. TAP, RACK, BANG! ;)

Guess it was good for something... :D

cgood311
04-27-2012, 8:29 AM
This guy loves his. He has some other good reviews posted also on other firearms

10,000 Rounds through Sig Mosquito
http://youtu.be/Zp1DxUXmVUI

blythewoodpark
07-13-2012, 8:34 PM
I still have the stock spring but I noticed that I have not had any trouble since I switched to Remington Golden Bullet. Its cheaper than the CCI Minimag.

ZachT951
07-14-2012, 10:55 AM
yeah make sure you change the spring, run CCI Mini Mags through it and clean the hell out of it often, i started having the same problem with mine but, just make sure shes cleaned, oil, and that you are running high quality ammo through it, also i know its a little more expensive but try a few boxes of CCI Stinger 22's they have a lot more "POP" to them, they have a velocity of 1640 fps and they standard Mini Mags are 1235 fps this could help make the difference

jyo
07-14-2012, 6:19 PM
My brother bought a Mosquito and we could NEVER get it to run no matter which spring or ammo we tried---and we tried a bunch! Not one of Sig's better designs---and yes, you do see them for sale all the the time...

tal3nt
07-19-2012, 4:52 PM
Your ammo is UNDERPOWERED. When you get the empty chamber FTF, it's because the previous round that was fired was not strong enough to rack the slide back COMPLETELY, failing to pick up the next round. Common with cheap bulk 22 with slide action 22 pistols. When the empty case sits in the chamber FTE, you must have an issue with your extractor. Get an SR22

jink122
07-19-2012, 5:53 PM
from my understanding, i just need something in the 40gr. The bulks are usually 36. You want something that'll kick the slide back a little better.

Rob_G
07-20-2012, 12:41 PM
Mine is a few years old and has about 5000 rounds through it.

3 things:
- Need the right ammo
- Keep it clean and very well lubed
- Use the light spring if the heavy spring isn't working

Good Ammo for me
- Minimags but I'm too cheap to use them
- CCI Blazer Bulk pack - Mostly use this because it's cheap and decent - A malfunction or two per 100 -
- Golden turds in bulk - Malfunctions only from dead bullets - feels stronger than other bulk packs.

Federal bulk packs don't work reliably for me either red or blue box
Winchester 333 will not feed at all

I bought my Mosquito as a cheap trainer for my P series Sigs. I like a malfunction now and then at the range because I have yet to get my P series to malfunction. For me it is a great training pistol.

Fishslayer
07-20-2012, 8:53 PM
Been having my mosquito for sometime now, after about 800 rounds down range, failure to eject/feed has became something i'm a little used to unless i'm shooting the more expensive CCI mini mags, but they're just too over priced so most of the time I use the Federal 550 rounds value packs.

Every clip or two I got a failure to eject where the bullet case sits inside the chamber like the slide never racked back, or a failure to feed -- a empty chamber. Again, I have pretty much zero problem while using the CCI mini mags.

Is this something anyone else had experienced? Or I should steer away from the Federal bulk pack now.

Lose the Federal bulk. Very few, if any, Mosquitos will run them.

Make sure the light spring is installed.

Check under the takedown pin lever. There is a little screw there. it needs to be tight.

Run it clean and wet. That little hole on the right side of the slide is for oil.

Use only genuine SIG metal magazines. (NOT "clips," BTW...)

Hope this helps.

TANK
07-21-2012, 8:59 AM
i got one of these for the wife and hers has ran fine with fed bulk ammo, i havent changed the spring yet but will wait to see if she encounters any issues with it.

0351USMC
07-21-2012, 9:52 AM
my Mosquito eats everything,I guess I got lucky.

bubbala
07-21-2012, 3:55 PM
my Mosquito eats everything,I guess I got lucky.

mine too,sooner or later i think buyers are gonna get luckier and luckier;)

Ratters
07-22-2012, 11:35 AM
Remmington bulk pack from Walmart is the only thing mine will run. I shoot the Buckmark 90% of the time anyhow since it never jams and is way more accurate.

xxx187xxx
07-22-2012, 11:55 AM
the mosquitos are such a pos, i had one but then i just sold it for dirt cheap

ZombieKiller
07-22-2012, 12:00 PM
There are many many stories of that little Sig jamming... Seems to be a common problem. But hey- it sure LOOKS COOL.

joker70
07-23-2012, 10:46 PM
I don't have a Mosquito but every once in a while my ISCC M22 will fail to cycle. It's easy to see b/c it's a hammer fired pistol and I'll see the hammer uncocked and I have to rack the slide and an empty case will fall out. I've only used CCI Blazer but I guesstimate I get <5% failures.

ThePatriot
07-24-2012, 6:42 AM
I just picked up a mosquito (July 20, 2012) and put about 400 rounds through it my first day - zero failures. Maybe I got lucky. I was using CCI minimags for the first couple of hundred then Winchester 36 grain bulk. I had heard of all the problems but could not be happier with mine, and I am runnning the heavy spring. Perhaps Sig has worked out the problems. One thing for sure use the highest velocity stuff you can get since any 22 semi auto pistol will tend to choke on low velocity ammo.

TGA-NC
01-30-2013, 6:20 PM
Hello everyone, I was online looking for a few reviews on the sig mosquito and boy did I find them!

I own a small gun store (TGA) and I ordered three mosquito's form sig and one of them jammed almost every shot until I got down to 4 or 5 rounds. after considerable tinkering and research against one of the other two mosquito's, and consulting with my father, I found that the jamming problem comes from the magazine spring having to much pressure. This was causing the top round in the magazine to push against the slide slowing it down and it would therefor not operate correctly.

I cut one loop off the magazine spring (leaving it with 17 coils) and it fed ten standard velocity rounds without a single jam when before it was jamming with anything more than 5 rounds.

I would also like to point out that the mosquito comes with two recoil springs, one is for standard velocity ammo only (comes from the factory in the gun) and the other is behind the foam in the case and is for high velocity.

JD.

Oneaudiopro
01-30-2013, 6:30 PM

Rugers shoot "everything".

Virus55
01-30-2013, 10:24 PM
my buddy has one and says bulk ammo is terrible with this gun. he has to use cci mini mags

E Michael
01-30-2013, 10:43 PM
stingers

ARGunner
01-30-2013, 10:51 PM
Yeah my buddies wife has one, they definately require a certain type of ammo to function properly. They cci as well.

E Michael
01-30-2013, 11:11 PM
Also clean and lube allot, mine works fine as long as I take care of it

joelogic
01-30-2013, 11:24 PM
My Sig likes the Winchester 555 packs.

Socalmp5
01-30-2013, 11:29 PM
No one mentions that polishing the feed ramp by taking the lip out help with feeding issues.

Walther is getting better at making .22s for other companies... My ladies mosquito is finicky... Yet my smith M&p .22 has almost no issues...

floorance
01-31-2013, 12:44 AM
Have you not tried the Shake n bake method? Throw the ammo in a bag...spray some wd40 or gun oil on it and use the lower power spring. That should help with it

Occams Rasor
01-31-2013, 8:58 AM
Just to confirm what other people have stated. I had no joy with Federal, could not even get thought a mag. But with Blazers, no problems at all. Brick after Brick. Also need to keep the gun clean and slide well lubed.

HK35
01-31-2013, 9:56 AM
Just to confirm what other people have stated. I had no joy with Federal, could not even get thought a mag. But with Blazers, no problems at all. Brick after Brick. Also need to keep the gun clean and slide well lubed.

This ^^^

Mine seems to like the CCI 500 packs but not the 535's (different COLs); mini mags (of course) and the CCI AR Tactical packs.

Oh and clean it at least every 400 rounds, prefereably every 250 and keep it well lubed.

TGA-NC
02-01-2013, 11:31 AM
just remember that using that high power ammo with the lighter (standard velocity) recoil spring can damage other parts in the gun as the extreme pressure from the hotter load slams the slide back without the stiffer spring to control its movement.

All in all it is a great handgun and I know to keep it simple I'm going to just put the high velocity spring in and stick with ammo at or above 1260 fps muzzle velocity.

Good luck all!