PDA

View Full Version : **Was OLL* Now: Entire AR-style For the budget-minded

Midtown Gunner
04-22-2012, 8:59 PM
I've begun to rethink putting together an AR-based rifle. I know I could go all out and spend thousands of dollars, if I so wanted. That's money I don't have, and won't for some time. I'd like to know what the bottom line would be--what it will take to get a safe, shootable rifle that I can upgrade later.

(sorry, Matt1989)
To clarify, how much for a working rifle?

Matt1989
04-22-2012, 9:03 PM
Are you asking for complete or just OLL? Ur title says one thing and ur post says something different. Personally just get an OLL for $100 plus tax and DROS, and save each paycheck to get a different thing (that's what I'm doing).

ICONIC
04-22-2012, 9:13 PM
It takes a lot of shopping around online. Right now withe election hysteria uppers are at hard to find at a deal. Look at deltons for a good deal. All said and done expect to pay about 650 for a budget build.

ExtremeX
04-22-2012, 9:26 PM
OLL = Off List Lower.... most common ones are all around the same price, $100 + DROS

You could also consider a Complete Polymer Lower, which is also about $100 for a complete lower if you are REALLY budget minded.

If you want a complete rifle you have lots of options under 1k, do some searching around and it should be easy to find something that meets your criteria.

Capybara
04-22-2012, 9:45 PM
If you are looking to just buy the cheapest rifle, Turners has pre-built DelTons lately for as low as $639.00. Any build you do won't be cheaper or better quality at that price. You can buy a really nice PSA rifle kit for $600.00 and a stripped lower for as cheap as about $100.00 including tax and DROS.

I would only build if you are going to go for something a little better quality, if you just want cheap, buy pre-built, they aren't bad.

Midtown Gunner
04-22-2012, 9:50 PM
What I'd like to do is build one without the pistol grip, like the Monsterman, or the other one I can never remember.

Matt1989
04-22-2012, 10:04 PM
Why would you do that?

ExtremeX
04-22-2012, 10:06 PM
Since I don't recall ever seeing a featureless AR-15 on a store shelf, your option is to build from an OLL of your choice, or to modify one you buy from a store. The cheaper AR options members have listed above might be your best bet, or even start with a S&W M&P 15 and change parts to make it compliant for a featureless build.

Please be sure to get familar with the flowchart to stay compliant regardless of the route you choose.

The other grips you might be thinking of are the hammer head and soloar tactical wraps.

ExtremeX
04-22-2012, 10:11 PM
Why would you do that?

There is nothing wrong with a featureless setup, some people prefer not having to deal with a bullet button or to run pre-ban high caps they already have.

Aside from cost, nothing stopping you from having both, two lowers and a compliant upper.

Jimmy310
04-22-2012, 10:13 PM
OLL + Dros + Tax(anywhere) = $135

LPK + M4 buttstock kit + Shipping (anywhere)= $110

PSA Complete m4 upper= $470

Magpul Rear BUIS = $35
------------------------------------------
Total= $750 But add another $50 for a couple mags and BB.
(i really stress getting a good upper,for a hammer forged 4150 steel FN barrel look no further than PSA for a inexpensive but as good as BCM upper.)

Midtown Gunner
04-22-2012, 10:28 PM
My ideal stock would be like the one on the Kel-Tec SU-16--a regular rifle stock (the mag recesses would be sweet, though).

ExtremeX
04-22-2012, 10:37 PM
What is a "working rifle" in your mind? A retail store purchase of a complete rifle or building/buying a lower and sourcing an upper of your choice?

Depending on what you are actually looking for, you might want to change the title of your thread to something other than "OLL For the budget-minded"

What is your true budget, for a complete rifle without optics? $600-$700 bracket has a lot fewer options than the $800-900 bracket. It sounds like you want the cheapest thing you can possibly obtain. If that is the case, Del-Ton or the S&W M&P Sport would be a great place to start. Personally I would lean towards the M&P because most of the lower end del-tons dont even have chrome lined barrels.

You should factor in the cost of the parts you will need to go featureless like the stock, grip (or wrap), and muzzle brake of your choice.

Midtown Gunner
04-22-2012, 10:59 PM
How do I edit the title?

ExtremeX
04-22-2012, 11:04 PM
Click on edit, then "Go Advanced" on your orignial post.

straykiller
04-22-2012, 11:08 PM
ima be selling my complete Plum crazy lower for $100, never even used the thing.

jbush
04-22-2012, 11:39 PM
OLL + Dros + Tax(anywhere) = $135

LPK + M4 buttstock kit + Shipping (anywhere)= $110

PSA Complete m4 upper= $470

Magpul Rear BUIS = $35
------------------------------------------
Total= $750 But add another $50 for a couple mags and BB.
(i really stress getting a good upper,for a hammer forged 4150 steel FN barrel look no further than PSA for a inexpensive but as good as BCM upper.)

^^^These numbers are pretty close to what a budget build I did was running recently. You need to decide if you want the cheapest you can get (which might be a Delton or S&W sport) or you want to build a good quality rifle with a chrome lined barrel etc. Go on some websites and look at pricing for uppers, stocks and grips if you want featureless, lower parts kits, sights, mags, bb, etc. than add in the shipping. Stripped lowers can be found locally for $100 and tax and dros so figure $135, add it all up. But without specifics as to what you think a working rifle is, it's hard to talk pricing.

Midtown Gunner
04-23-2012, 12:22 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I'm still curious, for those of you who assembled a rifle on a tight budget, what you paid, what corners you can cut which ones you can't, etc.

Straykiller, that link comes up as a 500 Error: The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

ThemBastards
04-23-2012, 12:50 PM
I got a cheap 6 position stock for $38 as compared to other stocks that are twice as expensive- it has worked well for me so far. I also went with an A2 upper as opposed to a flat top that would have cost the same before having to spend another $120-$$$$ on BUIS or some techy fun stuff to shoot it straight.. I think buying rifle kits(everything less the stripped lower) from one of several vendors out there would be way cheaper than piecing it together.

Stag has rifle kits available, Model 1 I think DPMS and Del Ton do too.

Of course the cheapest way to go is to find a New Frontier Armory complete CA Lower for $119 then just slap any $400 upper on there and you are good to go. Got an email from New Frontier today that they are currently 2 weeks out on shipping their polymer lowers.

artoaster
04-23-2012, 12:56 PM
A non-chrome lined barrel doesn't mean it's not a good barrel or not as good as a chrome lined.

Depends what your needs or perceptions are.

Midtown Gunner
04-23-2012, 5:18 PM
New Frontier Armory complete CA Lower

Should I be skeptical of a "polymer" lower? Because it sounds iffy.

A non-chrome lined barrel doesn't mean it's not a good barrel or not as good as a chrome lined.

How likely is it that I'll run into corrosively-primed 5.56?

ExtremeX
04-23-2012, 5:27 PM

Highly unlikely you will run into corrosive 5.56.

There is more to the non-chome vs chrome lined than just corrosive ammo.

There is hours of reading on the web if you actually care to do it on the topic. I'm not even going to get into it. Its an option you have, and you have to decide for yourself if its "worth it" or not. For me personally, I prefer 416 Stainless, its usually my first choice when looking at barrels.

This might get you started.
http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=2678
(first link when you search non chrome lined barrel vs chrome lined on google)

Capybara
04-23-2012, 5:34 PM
If you visit ar15.com, you will find out more than you ever wanted to know about which AR to buy and the finer, some would say insane level of detail points of it all. I never wanted to learn about hammer peened bolts and different types of steel used for all of the different parts of an AR15 but that is what they talk about over there. A lot.

tacticalcity
04-23-2012, 5:43 PM

For a range plinker it will be fine. If you plan on taking courses and training the way they teach you there after, it could be problematic. There will be times when the gun is smacking against the ground (hard) and other times when it supports your full body weight. There is a lot of twisting and opposing forces on the rifle if you are training right that you don't see when plinking on the range. Unlike a handgun, there is a lot more weight involved which translates to a lot more forces on the lower. Plenty of examples of them snapping online. That said, it's possible to snap a metal one as well. They all have week points. Just more likely with a plastic one. To me, it is worth more money for the metal.

ExtremeX
04-23-2012, 5:53 PM
If you visit ar15.com, you will find out more than you ever wanted to know about which AR to buy and the finer, some would say insane level of detail points of it all. I never wanted to learn about hammer peened bolts and different types of steel used for all of the different parts of an AR15 but that is what they talk about over there. A lot.

Yes, they can get very technical over there, but I like that stuff.

Ill just leave the whole barrel decision at this...

The barrel in an AR-15 is pretty much the heart of the system. Also one of the most important decisions you are going to have to make, if you even care to make it. It all comes down to application and which compromises you can live with. There isn't just one best choice, it comes down to application.

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=493

It would be wise to understand all the options before just throwing money at some random setup without knowing why you picked it. There are also options not mention in that thread, cold hammer forged, chrome moly, the M&P Sport has a Melonite barrel, which seems to be very interesting in terms to what they claim as the benefits.

bombadillo
04-23-2012, 6:09 PM
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l122/bombadillo08/calguns%20and%20other/IMAG0525.jpg

Whole thing including optics was super cheap.

Palmetto state armory complete rifle with Geissele G2S trigger and Magpul BUIS for $799
$50 to transfer
I sold the Vortex Strikefire as a take-off for $125
Got the Optisan Mamba and mount for $150 so total optics spent was $25.00
Grip was $18.00 free shipping
Quad rail my wife got me cheap from AIM for $40
Sling was a Boonie Packer TQA-C for $22.99

Total spent: Right about $954 all said and done. Not too bad for all there is and a quality barrel which was first and foremost. Palmetto barrels are made by FN most times.

Cucv
04-23-2012, 6:38 PM
I spend less than 900 on my AR

Midtown Gunner
04-24-2012, 5:06 PM
Wow! Thank you all. I'll do my homework.

Dark Sky Solutions
04-24-2012, 5:13 PM
I jut built up a new pistol. My upper for that is the same price as the 16" upper. Great barrels. Evaluated by a blogger, it was shooting .650" groups of 3 at 100 yards.

Let me know if u are interested

Midtown Gunner
04-29-2012, 10:53 PM
To me, it is worth more money for the metal

Are the aluminum as good as the steel?

TDL2024
04-29-2012, 11:40 PM
Recently built mine; learned a valuable lesson: you WILL go over budget. Original intended budget: $800-900; ended up at ~$1200 and only 90% complete (it's in fireable condition, but I need to upgrade trigger and purchase optics)

As it stands:
DPMS Lower Receiver (overpaid at Turners, if I could do it again I'd go to Riflegear): $170 OTD
Palmetto State Armory LBK (included moe stock and buffer assembly): $150
Rainier Arms 18" match barrel: $250
Noveske Upper Receiver: $130
Spikes BCG: $125
YHM FF Rail: $135
Gas tube&block: $40
YHM Flash hider: $40
YHM Charging Handle: $22
Crappy (possibly knock-off) MBUS': $50

And we've got about $100 in random wrenches, punches, parts, etc.

The only places I see where I could've saved would be:
Cheaper barrel (maybe Select instead of Match) for maybe ~$70 less
Sub the rail for regular handguards or tube: ~$60 less
Buy the Lower somewhere else: ~$50 less
So I guess I could've saved about $180, but I'd still be around a grand after it's all said and done...and still need better sights/optics.

All in all the only thing that I absolutely wouldn't recommend skimping on is sights/optics. I went cheap on my MBUS' and they're crap, and now I have to buy something better (ie. KAC or Dueck Defense), luckily they weren't expensive and once the scope I want is released BUIS aren't really going to be a priority...but who knows how long that will be. Long story short: don't settle for anything "cheap" because 9 times out of 10, the quality will reflect that. If you really want to save money, just buy the S&W MP-15....I think they go for around $700 if I'm not mistaken.

ExtremeX
04-29-2012, 11:48 PM
I can agree with TDL2024,

There are certain areas you can penny pinch to keep the costs down... Most of us don't NEED a quad rail, we just like them... it is just one example of an area you can cut down on cost.

I do however try to buy the best optics I can afford.

ExtremeX
04-29-2012, 11:51 PM
Are the aluminum as good as the steel?

I think almost every metal AR receiver you will find will be forged aluminum, billet being the more expensive option. I don't recall seeing them in steel. I think his post was referring to to polymer lowers that are available.

DavidR310
04-30-2012, 12:04 AM
If I had to have a cheap inexpensive AR, I would get the New Frontier AR for $599

Magpul sights, mag and case included!:43:

http://newfrontierarmory.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=245_249&products_id=34562

http://newfrontierarmory.com/catalog/images/LW15.jpg

ThemBastards
04-30-2012, 10:34 AM

Check out LW15.com they have some torture tests on there that may put your mind at ease... I DROS'd mine on Saturday

I think they offer a lifetime warranty too... Seriously for $100+BB of your choice if you are going centerfire is a Grrrrrreat deal. If you assemble your own lower like I did youc an go cheaper than I did but it will still look something like this..

$119 for stripped lower with tax if picked up locally
DROS $25
LPK I think mine was $79
Stock I found a deal on here for $39

that is $262 compared to

$99+ tax is $107.74
$25 DROS
I am getting a $20 bullet button

that is $152.74 That is a $100 cheaper- you can buy 2 of the LW15's for the same cost of building 1 lower

Add a few cheap mags and your budget upper and it is sexy time...

ExtremeX
04-30-2012, 12:58 PM
You forgot the cost of the buffer tube, spring, and buffer....

ThemBastards
04-30-2012, 1:36 PM
You forgot the cost of the buffer tube, spring, and buffer....

My stock I bought for $39 included all of that and so does the LW 15

Midtown Gunner
05-01-2012, 2:42 AM
If I had to have a cheap inexpensive AR, I would get the New Frontier AR for $599

Except, I want to go featureless, so I don't want to buy stuff I won't be using.

AJ Barnes
05-09-2012, 11:36 PM
nevermind