View Full Version : Places to Shoot Rifles in or near Chico?

04-22-2012, 7:41 PM
I know you can shoot pistols at Safer Arms, but where can you shoot rifles/shotguns? I have heard about a range out in Oroville, any other places?

04-22-2012, 8:37 PM
The clay pits in Oroville is probably your best bet. Just search here for "clay pits" or "rabe road", there are a lot of threads.

Tehama Shooters Association has a 1000 yard rifle range, it's NE of Red Bluff (not as far as Manton), if you're really after the long range stuff. http://www.tehamashooters.com/

Nor Cal Guy
04-22-2012, 11:04 PM
grr.. tehamashooters had a 3 gun shoot yesterday wish i would have heard about that sooner.

04-23-2012, 4:30 AM
Make sure you go past the clay pits, range entrance on the left by the afterbay entrance on the right. There is a house by the road just past the range entrance. The clay pits are State Parks OHV. The range is Fish & Game, not the same place. There is a private shooting range just up Skyway past the Golf Course on the right, not sure how much to join. I have heard that people shoot alot above Magalia some where down a road...I will ask a friend where it is. Butte Collage has a pistol range by the afterbay with a trap range also but that is usually for LEO training only. The SO and CPD have a range on the bypass road from 99 to 70, again LEO only. It's a little wild west at the range by the afterbay, be careful!!

04-23-2012, 4:51 AM
It's a little wild west at the range by the afterbay, be careful!!

I always heard that and avoided the place for 25 years. Big mistake.

I have found the vast majority of shooters there are careful and respectful. It can get a little crazy on Saturdays, but it is a free public range.

Weekday mornings are usually pretty quiet. They close it down on the 3rd Thursday of the month in the morning for a jail crew to do cleanup.

Nor Cal Guy
04-23-2012, 7:57 AM
been up to the magalia one or at least 1 of them. Its not a legal place to shoot, though lots do tons of trash to prove it. The issue is that its on the side of the road, literately like no more then 40 feet and if memory serves you need to be like 150 yards (maybe feet) away from a road if i remember correctly. If you want to go that route and your in chico just run up to cohasset or more correctly just past it, you can get there mush faster then going above magailia. O and if you do go up there clean up after your self even if others didnt before you, i was up there Friday and the 3 places i know off where most people shoot where very very trashy wish i would have pulled up my trailer to grab more. Also its getting harder to find a easy spot to get to above cohasset since sierra pacific (logging company) now has private property posted all over they place up there, i guess the forest service sold them a bunch of land along the road way up there.