PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 980s range report.

Dannicus
04-22-2012, 3:17 PM
So I had a bit of an impulse buy at Big5 this week. I thought the stainless steel and fake carbon fiber stocked 980s looked cool and it was on sale so I took their last one home.

I liked the 24" barrel for iron sight use, and I was glad to see that it's free from any contact right up to the mounting block.

I threw on a Simmons .22 mag 3-9x, and a bipod on it and hit the range. I had to get it on paper by hitting the dirt with it because the 50 yard range was occupied by a pistol course.

The first thing I noticed was how terrible the stock trigger is. Very heavy, gritty and lots of creep. The safety operates slick and positive and the bolt cycles nice and smooth and kicks the casings out pretty far.

On the paper, this cheap little gun really surprised me. After about 40 rounds, the groups settled down to about 2 inches with Eley target rounds. I decided to try some blazer and after compensating for the extra velocity, it shot just as well. I'm sticking with that stuff to keep it cheap.

In all, I really like this little rifle. Its my first .22 bolt and it's a blast having such an accurate gun that stays still enough to watch the rounds hit the paper.

After putting on the new trigger, the creep is gone and it breaks crisp and light. I must admit that the price of the trigger made the gun less of a deal, tho. The groups didnt improve, but I think the trigger is more of a luxury because I have pretty good control with crappy triggers as long as I'm patient. I suspect I might be able to get 1.5" or better groups; both times I took it to the range, it was pretty gusty.

Izzy43
04-22-2012, 4:16 PM
Nice rifle, try some Wolf Match Target and you'll see those groups under an inch @ 50 yds.

Dannicus
04-22-2012, 4:25 PM
I looked around for Wolf match, but none of my local retailers carry it. I'll have to order some.

Dannicus
04-22-2012, 4:28 PM
Nice rifle, try some Wolf Match Target and you'll see those groups under an inch @ 50 yds.

Btw, I was shooting 2" at 100 yards. I think I'm already around 1" at 50 with my current ammo if i tried.