PDA

View Full Version : Non-rostered pistols for new resident transfers?

67Charger
04-26-2007, 8:32 PM
Can a pistol not on the roster be transfered in with a new resident?

I have a SA 1911-A1 Model PI9108 that is not specifically on the list, and a S&W 39-2 9mm that isn't there either. Do they have to stay out of here? Both of them were made before 1989. Is there some sort of grandfather clause for out of production pistols? What about all the old collectors items that surely don't fit all the new standards?

bwiese
04-26-2007, 8:42 PM
Can a pistol not on the roster be transfered in with a new resident?

I have a SA 1911-A1 Model PI9108 that is not specifically on the list, and a S&W 39-2 9mm that isn't there either. Do they have to stay out of here?

No! Bring 'em in!!

Moving into CA, you are free to bring in any handgun you own, regardless of its being on the Roster or not. The only restriction is that imported guns are CA assault weapon: no threaded bbls on semiautos, no 'pistols' like HK SP89s or Tec9s. And don't bring in hicap mags.

The Roster only applies to importation thru FFL and used gun sales from an FFL. However, private parties in CA are allowed to 'PPT' (private party transfer) non-Rostered handguns thru an FFL: if you later decided to sell your non-Rostered handguns to another Californian, you could (just go thru a dealer).

jumbopanda
04-26-2007, 8:43 PM
If anything, you should purchase more non-rostered pistols and bring em all in! :D

Hunter158
04-26-2007, 8:55 PM
When you move to California with your legally purchased/owned pistols/rifles you are an importer. You can import anything as long as it is not specifically illegal.

Typically Handguns are no problem as long as they are not full auto. ;-) No Hi-Cap mags, no full auto, not banned items by name or feature. Other than that, no problem.

When I moved here I brought and registered at least one item that was 90 years out of production as a handgun. Got the letter. done.

67Charger
04-26-2007, 10:38 PM
Thanks guys... exactly what I was hoping to hear! :D