PDA

View Full Version : Decided to keep mini......Which Mo-Reaper? Black or Silver? Please Vote!

Mossy Man
04-22-2012, 7:55 AM
here's the silver mo-reaper:

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk26/kbmoffitt/Reaper_Logo_Proto.jpg

here's the black one:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQG8hrLc01g_5ELw9j8RvmM6yXlB4p1J Cx9qZyCJ_MJu3RRJ7Sg&t=1

ordering today, so i need some quick opinions.

At first glance, silver would be good. But then again, it won't really match the SS of my rifle.

Black might contrast well with the silver, but I have a s/s strut.

Thoughts?

Please vote.

zfields
04-22-2012, 8:00 AM
Silver, Dig the look of that rifle.

REDdawn6
04-22-2012, 8:01 AM
black will make a nice touch at the tip like the stock does

Trapper
04-22-2012, 8:08 AM
I wouldn't add a muzzle brake to a mini 14. Most law enforcement officers can not tell the difference between a brake and a flash hider and could try to charge you for violating PC 12276.1

Mossy Man
04-22-2012, 8:11 AM
i'll be very careful with keeping documentation;

the manufacturer is very adamant that their product is designed to function and functions only as a muzzle brake

it also has all of the characteristics of a muzzle brake (not flash hider);

same inner cavity diameter as bore, has holes not slots, etc.

I've seen a lot of guys have questionable "compensators" on their rifles, and they are ok.

plus, this looks not much different than an M1A's factory muzzle brake, which is this rifle's big bro

Trapper
04-22-2012, 8:13 AM
With documentation from the manufacturer you should be fine. I'd go with the stainless!

Mossy Man
04-22-2012, 8:19 AM
probably the biggest improvement i feel will be the front sight

the old style front blade is very thick and it feels clumsy

the mo-reaper has a nice built-in ball post AK style front sight which I feel will help tremendously

zfields
04-22-2012, 9:34 AM
I wouldn't add a muzzle brake to a mini 14. Most law enforcement officers can not tell the difference between a brake and a flash hider and could try to charge you for violating PC 12276.1

....Thats the fuddiest Fud I've heard in a while here.

PLENTY of people run brakes on featureless rifles all over CA.

k1dude
04-22-2012, 9:53 AM
For appearance, I like the black. It will be a nice contrast against the silver barrel. It'll also hide carbon deposits a lot better. Unless you like painstakingly cleaning muzzle brakes after shooting with a Q-tip, avoid silver ones.

But the big benefit of the stainless one is you keep the all-weather aspect of the weapon intact.

MrPlink
04-22-2012, 11:01 AM

fun fact: nobody has been convicted for violation of the AWB when the sole evil feature is a flash hider. (this is trivia, not an invitation)

TNP'R
04-22-2012, 12:26 PM
I'd go with the silver I like that one better.

Mossy Man
04-22-2012, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I just confirmed my order on a black one.

I never go out in the rain anyway so I think the contrasting color will look better. Was a tough choice but i had to pick one.

Ill post pics once it comes in and installed.

Mossy Man
04-25-2012, 5:36 PM
update:

got the mo-reaper on.

http://i.imgur.com/ulzKO.jpg?1

i'm pretty happy with it

biggest upgrade so far has been the sight picture....it is LEAGUES ahead of the fat blade sight (was like a 120MOA blade)

the AK ball post is much better.

going to get better pics later.

I MIGHT want to get the Mo-Rod too...even though I have an accu-strut....just to make it match.

Crazy, lol

DasBoost
04-25-2012, 5:47 PM
update:

got the mo-reaper on.

http://i.imgur.com/ulzKO.jpg?1

i'm pretty happy with it

biggest upgrade so far has been the sight picture....it is LEAGUES ahead of the fat blade sight (was like a 120MOA blade)

the AK ball post is much better.

going to get better pics later.

I MIGHT want to get the Mo-Rod too...even though I have an accu-strut....just to make it match.

Crazy, lol

Looks great! I've been looking into muzzle brakes and the Mo-Reaper seems to be in the lead because of the new front sight as well. I think the Tech Sight rear and that new MR front sight would work really well. Rifle looks great! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

SURVIVOR619
04-25-2012, 6:22 PM
I really like the look of the black contrast at the tip of the barrel... Nice choice!

Kelster1574
04-25-2012, 8:28 PM
What does it take to remove the old and install the new?

Atekhed
04-25-2012, 9:56 PM

If it were me I'd leave the silver strut in place. The blued/black Mo-Reaper is a nice contrast but I think the blued strut would be out of place.

Otherwise nice looking rifle.

Mossy Man
04-26-2012, 3:32 PM
What does it take to remove the old and install the new?

Removal (for the old-style single blade type anyway) involves drifting out the factory roll pin, and removing the factory front sight.

It's pressed on at the factory, and is installed with INCREDIBLE amounts of tension.

Basically you're supposed to use a gun vise, use a bunch of penetrating oil to soak the sight, and use a wood block and brass hammer to bash it off. Some people have had luck with heating the barrel.

Well, i tried all of the above (without the vise) for about 3 hours with success. It's a case of having the right tools to get it done. If you have the right tools its easy, if you don't it's impossible.

I didn't have the right tools, and the gunsmith wanted $50 and a week to do it (without guaranteeing the survival of the sight) so i said to hell with it i'll never use it again.

Busted out the dremel, cut a thin line through the underside, and 5 minutes later i had the sight/brake on.

Installation of the actual product is simple. It's getting the old off that's hard.

I decided to paint the support brackets with some high-temp bbq grill paint.

here's an updated photo (excuse the lawn...it rained a lot and it just grew overnight!)

http://i.imgur.com/np2QW.jpg?1

gorenut
04-26-2012, 4:09 PM
If it were me I'd leave the silver strut in place. The blued/black Mo-Reaper is a nice contrast but I think the blued strut would be out of place.

Otherwise nice looking rifle.

I thought so too at first.. but I like the contrast.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7118/7104842709_844aed2a57_b.jpg

That said.. I think MossyMan's Mini already looks really sharp and really not worth the cost/effort just to get the colors.

EDIT: Oops, didn't see you went ahead with the colors.. good choice! Looks really nice.

Mossy Man
04-26-2012, 4:13 PM
thanks

didn't cost me anything extra either since i already just re-finished my old rusted out BBQ and had some rattle can left over =D

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
04-26-2012, 5:06 PM
black

jcjt
04-27-2012, 4:57 PM
looks awesome. i like the duo tone. did the mo-reaper come with any documentation saying it's a muzzle break?

Stryfe76
06-17-2012, 10:15 AM
Which hand guard do you have on there?

Atekhed
06-17-2012, 2:23 PM
The handguard is a Choate Mini-14 replacement handguard. Much nicer than the OEM one but it does leave the op rod exposed so have to watch your finger placement.

https://secure.riflestock.com/catalog_page_detail.cfm?recordno=11&Product_CatalogID=2701&ProductNumber=07%2D02%2D04&ProductCode=1&ProductSubCodeID=253&NewProduct=0