PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Mini 14/30

Spawn
04-22-2012, 1:59 AM
Been shopping for a rifle and i'm interested in the Ruger Mini 14 and Mini 30. Any thoughts and experiences?

DasBoost
04-22-2012, 4:23 AM
I have one of the Wood/Blued 581 Mini14s. First thing I will say is: Be realistic; it is not an AR and cant shoot wings off of a fly at 500yds. It's been reliable for me with factory mags, no issues, and fairly simple and straightforward.

Here is a pic of mine:
http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq23/VeeDubberGLI/012c4291.jpg
It has an Accu-Strut (Really helped keep groups together after barrel heated up), older Fed Ord ventilated handguard (I think this helps immensely as well to keep the barrel cool and groups tighter. Choate makes a nice handguard as well.), and Tech Sights (so much easier to adjust than normal Ruger sights). All told, with gun and parts, it's about $900 total. Compare what you want out of the rifle to other options in the price range. The Minis can be had from $650 to $790 depending on store.

As far as Mini 30s go, I have no experience with them. Sorry. :(

Xtracrispy
04-22-2012, 6:45 AM
I have a mini 30. They are great rifles, mine is extremely reliable. Not as accurate as an ar, but great for general use rifles(hence the name "ranch rifles").

Divernhunter
04-22-2012, 9:31 AM
I have both and like them. I can shoot clays at 100 yards and that is good enough. They are a fun rifle.
I go against the grain and think they are better than an AR or AK for home defense etc since I can use larger mags and never need a bullet button like on an AR. Plus you do not need a nail driver at 400 yards for that purpose. I also have a NM M1A which is very accurate and has more power than an AR15 or AK and uses 20 round mags without the bullet button if I need long range accurate fire power.
I really enjoy both my Mini14 and 30.

Kelster1574
04-22-2012, 10:09 AM
Mini's rock, just as fun to shoot as my AR's and as stated above......higher capacity magazines without a bullet button.

zfields
04-22-2012, 10:21 AM
I have one of the Wood/Blued 581 Mini14s. First thing I will say is: Be realistic; it is not an AR and cant shoot wings off of a fly at 500yds. It's been reliable for me with factory mags, no issues, and fairly simple and straightforward.

Here is a pic of mine:

It has an Accu-Strut (Really helped keep groups together after barrel heated up), older Fed Ord ventilated handguard (I think this helps immensely as well to keep the barrel cool and groups tighter. Choate makes a nice handguard as well.), and Tech Sights (so much easier to adjust than normal Ruger sights). All told, with gun and parts, it's about $900 total. Compare what you want out of the rifle to other options in the price range. The Minis can be had from $650 to $790 depending on store.

As far as Mini 30s go, I have no experience with them. Sorry. :(

Thats a Classy looking Mini.

Musashi
04-22-2012, 10:29 AM
ive always liked the looks of them, i'd probably pick up a 30 over the 14. i just wish they took ak47 or ar15 magazines

FeuerFrei
04-22-2012, 10:34 AM
you could hunt with a mini30 and carrying it around all day wont make your arms fall off.
FYI... please use only ruger factory mags for reliability sake.
better sights than any ak variant out of the box.
wolf ammo and yugo works all day long.
synthetic stocks still available as far as i know.
good luck.

Snapping Twig
04-22-2012, 10:45 AM
I've got the old original Mini 30 with the .308 bore.

They made them that way for reloaders to allow us a better bullet selection.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/SnappingTwig1/ruger1.jpg

I love these rifles. They can be made accurate with no cost adjustments and a low cost trigger job.

I hit a running wild boar at 460 yards - laser ranged, so these not being able to hit the side of a barn from the inside is a bit overblown.

They're not for everybody, but few things are.

Milsurps
04-22-2012, 11:05 AM
Been shopping for a rifle and i'm interested in the Ruger Mini 14 and Mini 30. Any thoughts and experiences?

Great guns. The new 581 series are much more accurate than earlier ones. No Mag Lock disadvantage on stock Ranch Rifles Mini's. My BB AR's sit in the back of the safe while the Mini-14's are in front with loaded mags on the shelf above. The Mini is perfect for SD here in Kalifornistan.

In before a splattered bug. ;)

ap3572001
04-22-2012, 11:15 AM
For Ca MINI 14 series, M1A,MR1 Benelli etc. do not need a BB and can be used with whatever magazines You have for them.

ilikeguns
04-22-2012, 11:18 AM
Solid guns. Not as accurate as AR's, but with iron sights its still more accurate than I am. disassembly is slightly more complex than an AR/AK but nothing you couldn't learn if your half intelligent. mine eats all ammo and there are plenty of aftermarket toys available for them.

Sturnovik
04-22-2012, 11:24 AM
I shoot one alot. It's my friends. I can hit stuff 2-3 moa at 100 yards and still easily hit a man sized target at 150. Then again I dont shoot farther. I'm sure its capable of more, I just dont end up shooting farther than that.

Squid
04-22-2012, 11:36 AM
Win Metric at Walmart.

Other than that he says it is much more accurate than any AK.

DasBoost
04-22-2012, 1:46 PM

Thank you. I spent a lot of time on Perfect Union and saw the metal handguard and scoured forums and eBay for one to pop up. A guy in Gilroy had I think 4 of them and put them all up auction-style (I asked if I could buy them for fixed price and he said no). I paid more than they sold for new, but it's worth it. I love the M2/M3 carbine look to it and the wood/blued look.

That is the rifle I got the sling from you for; works great!

ive always liked the looks of them, i'd probably pick up a 30 over the 14. i just wish they took ak47 or ar15 magazines

I was originally looking for the Mini-30 and even older 6.8, but they only offered black and stainless and the aesthetic side of me wanted that classic wood/blued; to me, that's the epitome of the Garand action: Wooden stock, blued steel, and iron sights. Now however, I'm looking more and more at some of the synthetic stocks, though some of the laminates are looking good too.

Great guns. The new 581 series are much more accurate than earlier ones. No Mag Lock disadvantage on stock Ranch Rifles Mini's. My BB AR's sit in the back of the safe while the Mini-14's are in front with loaded mags on the shelf above. The Mini is perfect for SD here in Kalifornistan.

In before a splattered bug. ;)

I wanted an AR at first and had a few builds planned out but then I saw one while passing through Big5 and it stuck with me. Talked to my uncle about them, as he had an older 181 series, and then looked more into them and how they didn't need a BB here in CA, and I was sold. The price wasn't too bad either, though I never would have paid what they asked of it.

I shoot one alot. It's my friends. I can hit stuff 2-3 moa at 100 yards and still easily hit a man sized target at 150. Then again I dont shoot farther. I'm sure its capable of more, I just dont end up shooting farther than that.

I've taken mine to USI a few times and can keep most of my shots in a 6" Shoot 'n' See at 100 yards without trying, just blasting away. At 50yds, 2" groups are common, doing the same. I know it won't shoot wings off a fly at 500yds and I dont try that either. It's a fun plinker for CA and that's it.

Atekhed
04-22-2012, 1:59 PM
If you want to get up to speed on the Mini-14/30 check out www.perfectunion.com , its pretty much the best online resource for all things to do with the Mini series of rifles.

gun toting monkeyboy
04-22-2012, 2:06 PM
Are you getting a rough picture of people's views on here so far? Not AR accuracy, but still acceptable. Use RUGER factory mags if you want it to work. The newer guns are more accurate than the old ones. That about sums up everything I was going to say. They are fun. A bit more pricey that they should be now. But if you can turn up a used one in the $400 range, it is worth it.

-Mb

mary surratt
04-22-2012, 2:14 PM
I always thought those (wish I owned one) were kind of the ultimate fun/home defense gun.
They are real easy to wield, fun at the range, can hunt, shoot bad guys in your house, and if things go real bad, they have fire power for any real life scenario. Mostly just a fun and reliable gun.
Best

Ron-Solo
04-22-2012, 2:14 PM
I love mine. I have two Mini-14's and three ARs. Thy are all great rifles

Sturnovik
04-22-2012, 3:12 PM
"I've taken mine to USI a few times and can keep most of my shots in a 6" Shoot 'n' See at 100 yards without trying, just blasting away. At 50yds, 2" groups are common, doing the same. I know it won't shoot wings off a fly at 500yds and I dont try that either. It's a fun plinker for CA and that's it.[/QUOTE]"

Yup your probably a better shot than me haha. I like the mini. I'm more familiar with it than the new AR I just bought, but I do want my own Mini. Good reliable guns. And I like the look of them. Not as long as a M14 but not as short as a M4. Neat rifles.

I'd put a downpayment on one if I could figure out how to get a red dot on it.

And whats USI? I'm new to the rifle field.

Atekhed
04-22-2012, 3:36 PM

Putting a red dot might not be as easy as with say an flat top AR but its not too hard.

Try these:

http://ultimak.com/m4.htm

http://www.gggaz.com/ruger-mini-14-ranch-rifle-scope-mounts.html

or you can use built-in Ruger scope mounts/rings if your scope will fit them.

JavaBrewer
04-22-2012, 4:30 PM
Agree with previous comments. What the Mini gives up in potential accuracy (fixable) and parts availability (not easily overcome) it makes up for in ease of use, ruggedness, and non fussy ammo taste.

My 196 series Mini 14
http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii525/JavaBrewer/Mini%2014/DSCN0072.jpg

Mossy Man
04-22-2012, 4:43 PM
dasboost,

are those factory ruger 10 rounders you got in there?

LikeAllGuns
04-22-2012, 5:01 PM
I love my minis ! have both. They get the job done. love the ARs also !

Seems everyone has covered the pros and cons.

Who can hit the wings off a fly at 500 yards :fud:

I sure would pay to see that :)

jeffrice6
04-22-2012, 5:15 PM
581's are GTG!

cal3gunner
04-22-2012, 5:16 PM
http://kstartup.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/swarm.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-0tnNwx6Q5L8/TxYgdGaPTVI/AAAAAAAAIKo/KJGlg576XE8/s1600/Lake+Malawi+Flies+%25282%2529.JPG

I bet I could hit at least one or two flies at 500 yards!

cal3gunner
04-22-2012, 5:17 PM
http://kstartup.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/swarm.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-0tnNwx6Q5L8/TxYgdGaPTVI/AAAAAAAAIKo/KJGlg576XE8/s1600/Lake+Malawi+Flies+%25282%2529.JPG

I bet I could hit at least one or two flies at 500 yards!

Sturnovik
04-22-2012, 5:20 PM
Putting a red dot might not be as easy as with say an flat top AR but its not too hard.

Try these:

http://ultimak.com/m4.htm

http://www.gggaz.com/ruger-mini-14-ranch-rifle-scope-mounts.html

or you can use built-in Ruger scope mounts/rings if your scope will fit them.

I like the one above the ejection port. I wouldn't want the red dot all the way on the forend but yea I may just put money down on one.

Mossy Man
04-22-2012, 5:22 PM
i gave up on optics after trying many different types of receiver mounted methods.

could never hold zero, would break scopes, etc.

maybe i just use cheap parts but i find irons to be better on these rifles

ANG Tactical
04-22-2012, 5:41 PM

I would definitely have to agree with that. I like the hand guard, give it a nice look.

tygerpaw
04-22-2012, 7:30 PM
I hit a running wild boar at 460 yards - laser ranged, so these not being able to hit the side of a barn from the inside is a bit overblown.

They're not for everybody, but few things are.

Wow! Now that's a shot! I would never take a shot like that, especially with that caliber. Good on ya.

gorenut
04-22-2012, 7:50 PM
As many have already mentioned, they're great little carbines. I'm glad lately people have been more reasonable in their assessment/judgement with the Minis. It wasn't even that long ago if you were to even ask about a Mini, you'd get droves of people telling you to get an AR or an AK. I think the Mini is a nice medium between the two and is one of the best rifles that fit perfectly within the confines of CA's crummy laws. No bullet button, you can have standard cap mags, and even the mags themselves are now more readily available and affordable.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7118/7104842709_844aed2a57_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7115/6908943252_a1ef8dc994_z.jpg

At this time.. the only other rifles I'd really be interested in are M1As, Benelli MR1, and Vepr Hunters. They're all almost twice the cost of the Mini though...

gorenut
04-22-2012, 7:54 PM
i gave up on optics after trying many different types of receiver mounted methods.

could never hold zero, would break scopes, etc.

maybe i just use cheap parts but i find irons to be better on these rifles

If you haven't already.. you might consider putting a 1911 recoil bushing in the op rod and getting a .050 gas port bushing. This'll make the entire bolt far less "violent" when it cycles without really messing with reliability.

LikeAllGuns
04-22-2012, 9:32 PM
I am very confused.. I know I have no BB on my minis but I thought in CA no more than 10 round magazine :confused: I bought mine in 07 and 08.

Kelster1574
04-22-2012, 9:50 PM
My 20 round factory magazines were from the mid 90's, that being said I can still use them.

Atekhed
04-22-2012, 11:23 PM
I am very confused.. I know I have no BB on my minis but I thought in CA no more than 10 round magazine I bought mine in 07 and 08.

If you legally possessed them prior to 1/1/2000 you may contine to use them in your Mini regardless of capacity.

Check the sticky at the top of this forum or the wiki for more info.

DasBoost
04-23-2012, 10:55 AM
"I've taken mine to USI a few times and can keep most of my shots in a 6" Shoot 'n' See at 100 yards without trying, just blasting away. At 50yds, 2" groups are common, doing the same. I know it won't shoot wings off a fly at 500yds and I dont try that either. It's a fun plinker for CA and that's it."
Yup your probably a better shot than me haha. I like the mini. I'm more familiar with it than the new AR I just bought, but I do want my own Mini. Good reliable guns. And I like the look of them. Not as long as a M14 but not as short as a M4. Neat rifles.
And whats USI? I'm new to the rifle field.

USI is a range in Concord. United Sportsmen Inc. I'm not a great shot by any means but that's the best I've gotten blasting away. :)

dasboost,

are those factory ruger 10 rounders you got in there?

Yes, factory Ruger 10rd mags. Got a great deal at CDNN (Catalog is drool-worthy, just got the new one) where they were $19.99 a piece, limit 3. Mo0st of the time the 10rd mags are $25-30 apiece.

Who can hit the wings off a fly at 500 yards :fud: I sure would pay to see that :)

It was a joke. A lot of the Mini threads on here will get crapped on by AR guys claiming the Mini can't hit the broad side of Rosie O'Donnell at 5 ft while their AR is this pinpoint precision rifle. But yes, it was a joke and a comment made in jest. :rolleyes::p

I would definitely have to agree with that. I like the hand guard, give it a nice look.

Love that handguard. Searched for almost 8 months to find one. Almost bought the Choate ventilated handguard but found the FedOrd one on eBay. The Ventilated handguards really do work well in keeping the barrel cooler. The stock plastic handguard has a heatshield lining to protect your hand but seems to keep heat inside near the barrel.

As many have already mentioned, they're great little carbines. I'm glad lately people have been more reasonable in their assessment/judgement with the Minis. It wasn't even that long ago if you were to even ask about a Mini, you'd get droves of people telling you to get an AR or an AK. I think the Mini is a nice medium between the two and is one of the best rifles that fit perfectly within the confines of CA's crummy laws. No bullet button, you can have standard cap mags, and even the mags themselves are now more readily available and affordable.

At this time.. the only other rifles I'd really be interested in are M1As, Benelli MR1, and Vepr Hunters. They're all almost twice the cost of the Mini though...

The root of my fly joke in bold. :) They're great rifles and the aftermarket is large enough to allow for a lot of options. On your rifle I really like the Choate handguard and Mo-Reaper; I saw your other thread on it and am hoping you'll update with a review.

For me, I'm thinking of a muzzle brake or Mo-Reaper and shortening the barrel a bit to get to about 17" or so.

LikeAllGuns
04-23-2012, 2:59 PM
If you legally possessed them prior to 1/1/2000 you may contine to use them in your Mini regardless of capacity.

Check the sticky at the top of this forum or the wiki for more info.

Hey thanks !! Simple for me to understand.... Bummer though I have to stay with 10 rounds. I was hoping to learn a loop hole:rolleyes:

echo884
04-23-2012, 9:56 PM

Gorenut: I like your setup. What kind of strut and muzzle break is that?

DasBoost
04-24-2012, 12:11 PM
Gorenut: I like your setup. What kind of strut and muzzle break is that?

I believe the strut is the Mo-Rod and brake/sight combo is Mo-Reaper. (http://www.mo-rod.com/)

wsmc27
04-24-2012, 12:32 PM
Another Mini-14 "Good to Go" vote here...have had a 581 SS since the early eighties and it runs great. Shoots ok, can't see the flys at 500yds so no matter to me. Hits fine at 100yds ;)

Ran it in a couple Tac Carbine courses in 2010...found our old mags hung up a bit occasionally so tidied up the mag well area with the dremel. Has also run fine on a wide variety of ammo.

It's a keeper. :)

hth

gorenut
04-24-2012, 5:44 PM
I believe the strut is the Mo-Rod and brake/sight combo is Mo-Reaper. (http://www.mo-rod.com/)

Correctomundo

Another Mini-14 "Good to Go" vote here...have had a 581 SS since the early eighties and it runs great. Shoots ok, can't see the flys at 500yds so no matter to me. Hits fine at 100yds ;)

Ran it in a couple Tac Carbine courses in 2010...found our old mags hung up a bit occasionally so tidied up the mag well area with the dremel. Has also run fine on a wide variety of ammo.

It's a keeper. :)

hth

Are you sure its a 581 series? I was under the impression that they weren't made until mid-late 2000

c good
04-24-2012, 5:47 PM
Two Thumbs Up on the Mo-Rod for any Mini 14 or Mini 30. A definite improvement over stock set up.

wsmc27
04-24-2012, 6:28 PM
Are you sure its a 581 series? I was under the impression that they weren't made until mid-late 2000

:oji: Old age and CRS, a bad combo.

It's a 182 :D

DasBoost
04-24-2012, 8:20 PM
As much as I love my Tech Sight on the Mini, I've found myself looking more and more at low power fixed (and some variable) scopes... I mean, Ruger throws the rings in with the rifle, it'd be a waste to not use them... Right?? :p:43:

gorenut
04-25-2012, 9:06 AM
:oji: Old age and CRS, a bad combo.

It's a 182 :D

Hahha, its all good. I just wanted to make sure in case I missed something or if you just happened to stumble across some rare gem.

As much as I love my Tech Sight on the Mini, I've found myself looking more and more at low power fixed (and some variable) scopes... I mean, Ruger throws the rings in with the rifle, it'd be a waste to not use them... Right?? :p:43:

I have Warne QD rings on mine so I can switch back and forth from scope to irons in a pinch.

DasBoost
04-25-2012, 9:33 AM
I have Warne QD rings on mine so I can switch back and forth from scope to irons in a pinch.

That was my next issue of trying to tackle: Use the factory Ruger rings or an aftermarket set? I'm probably looking into lower rings so I don't need a cheekpiece or chin-weld. Thinking of a 4x fixed power; for my budget of >$150, it seems the fixed power are a little more reliable than the variable power scopes out there.

Adeodatus
04-25-2012, 9:44 AM
I LOVE my mini 14!!!

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae117/Adeodatus816/IMGP7220.jpg

It doesn't look like this right now though. I took the scope, mount, and cheek riser off.

Quickdraw Mcgraw
04-25-2012, 10:01 AM
I had a 580 series mini 30 an it was gtg till I shot about 2000rds of wolf thru it an then it started doing light primer strikes every 20-40rds.

It was a great gun at 40-60yards used to shoot golf balls an boy did they fly.

Unfortunatly at 100yards accuracy sucked for me...somthing along the lines of an 6" group using wolf ammo, benched...everyone tol me to use good(expencive) ammo if I wanted groups but that sorta defeated the point of the rifle for me. Shoulda tried the accustrut, but I sold it an got a LMT AR which I love to death...with that an m193 I'm around 3" benched at 100yards...yes I need practice....please take me shootin!!

I always wished I'd bought a mini14 since they are supposed to be more accurate, but how many guns you really need right!:hide:

DasBoost
04-25-2012, 5:39 PM
I had a 580 series mini 30 an it was gtg till I shot about 2000rds of wolf thru it an then it started doing light primer strikes every 20-40rds.

It was a great gun at 40-60yards used to shoot golf balls an boy did they fly.

Unfortunatly at 100yards accuracy sucked for me...somthing along the lines of an 6" group using wolf ammo, benched...everyone tol me to use good(expencive) ammo if I wanted groups but that sorta defeated the point of the rifle for me. Shoulda tried the accustrut, but I sold it an got a LMT AR which I love to death...with that an m193 I'm around 3" benched at 100yards...yes I need practice....please take me shootin!!

I always wished I'd bought a mini14 since they are supposed to be more accurate, but how many guns you really need right!:hide:

I'd say pick one up, but after having the LMT, you'd have that same feeling of disappointment... Honestly, I've put off an AR build because I've got my Mini close to where I want it and then do a full gauntlet of testing/trials with various ammo weights/brands (Have 8 different brands and weights, some .223, some 5.56, FMJ/HP/Ballistic Tip; PPU/Prvi M193-spec is great and great cost as well, $255 for 1k.).

ETA: I know you don't have the Mini30 anymore, but as far as primer strikes, stronger hammer spring maybe? That seems to be the main solution for the 762x39 AR guys.