View Full Version : OLL and no mag release, CA legal?

04-21-2012, 7:10 PM
If an OLL does not have any magazine release button at all, i.e. mag will not stay in the mag well, would that be equivalent to a single shot or having no removable magazine? (NOTE: No single shot adapter/block installed with bullet button, etc.)

04-21-2012, 7:18 PM
ive ran this by the peeps so far it is a no go even though it is never attached it can be detached

04-21-2012, 7:27 PM
Thanks for the prompt reply.

I have more questions. What if the OLL isn't attached to any upper? Would that make any difference?

For example, if somebody assembled a complete lower, and put the mag release on last. Then, wouldn't, for a brief moment, that lower would be like one without a mag release?

I guess the safest is to get a grip cover of some type.

04-21-2012, 7:32 PM
My understand is that you should not put any evil features on before the mag lock.

If you put on the pistol grip w/o the bullet button then it could be considered to be illegal at that point.

Of course, there is the argument that without an upper it is not a centerfire rifle so it couldn't be illegal.

Do you not have your maglock yet, but want to build everything else?

04-21-2012, 7:40 PM
A magazine can be removed without the use of a tool so no go.

04-21-2012, 8:08 PM
A lower receiver is 1) not a rifle 2) not centerfire 3) not semiautomatic therefore unless it is names it cannot be an AW.

A rifle without a magazine release can still be an AW. The issue isn't the type of magazine release the question is if the magazine is detachable. If you can hold the magazine in place, let the bolt fly home and feed a round (which you can) your magazine is as good as attached. Separate the lower from the upper, get a BB, or use a real magazine release and go featureless.

04-22-2012, 10:50 AM
If there's no BB, keep it disassembled until you install one.

04-22-2012, 10:55 AM
if there are no evil features, why not?