PDA

View Full Version : Best optic for fixed sights

Moonshine
04-21-2012, 7:14 PM
I have the Daniel defense A1.5 fixed sights what optics are best used with fixed sights? And what's the difference between using fixed for absolute vs as backups in a 1/3 setup? School me on this please!

tacticalcity
04-21-2012, 7:19 PM
Any Red Dot will work. Magnification is out. But for CQB that is a good thing.

Lower 1/3 setup makes it easier to use the red dot. Gives you more unobstructed view of the glass surface area.

The point of a red dot is that no matter how you cheek it, the dot is always correct. the dot moves based on the angle you are look at it, in order to stay zeroed. This means you can raise the rifle super fast, get a glimpse of the dot and sight picture and fire. Much, much faster than having to line up your sights.

In absolutely witness, the irons cover a good 50% of the glass and you might as well be using irons because by the time you can see the dot you would have had the iron sights lined up anyway.

This may not make sense to yet. It will once you have tried it in real life.

Agent 0range
04-21-2012, 7:43 PM
Absolute co-witness lines the front sight post with the dot (post is centered in the glass). 1/3 moves the front sight post to the lower 1/3 of the glass. With any fixed sights, either front, or both, you probably want 1/3 co-witness to be able to use both independently.

FatalKitty
04-21-2012, 8:27 PM
have fixed irons on my rifle - I use a PA Micro Dot (like an Aimpoint H1) ona 1/3 co-witness mount.

Set the optic far enough forward and the rear sight disappears when you look at the dot.

Moonshine
04-21-2012, 8:30 PM
What mount do I use for a 1/3 how high should it be? Could I use a Burris xt 135 with a higher ring?

Agent 0range
04-21-2012, 8:39 PM
What mount do I use for a 1/3 how high should it be? Could I use a Burris xt 135 with a higher ring?

It depends on the optics you go with. Eotech has a couple (516, exps, etc) that have a 7mm riser pre-installed to give automatic 1/3 co-witness. I use an Eotech 512 with a LaRue Tactial LT110 QD mount. Not sure about the AimPoints or any other optics for that matter. From what I've heard though, you can't go wrong with LaRue mounts...just got mine today, so it hasn't been tested.

TNP'R
04-21-2012, 8:40 PM
Me personally I love the T dot reticle especially at night, because the T helps me remember where my front sight post is. Not that it matters I just like it that way.