PDA

View Full Version : AR15 on loan

doran4x
04-26-2007, 4:52 PM
Can my friend loan or have me store his AR15 pre-ban rifle for an extended period?

It has been registered with all the proper government agencies in his name. Is it legal for me to have in my possesion even if it is still in his name?

Thanks

Tom

C.G.
04-26-2007, 4:54 PM
Can my friend loan or have me store his AR15 pre-ban rifle for an extended period?

It has been registered with all the proper government agencies in his name. Is it legal for me to have in my possesion even if it is still in his name?

Thanks

Tom

No, it isn't.

doran4x
04-26-2007, 4:56 PM
That's what I thought. :( :(

grammaton76
04-26-2007, 4:56 PM
Afraid the only thing he can do is rent a storage locker or something.

Although, he may be able to rent one from you, but you'd have to have *zero* access to the contents. I.e. a safe, with the gun locked inside, and you don't have the combination, and a rental agreement (do three copies and keep one signed copy within the safe).

Even with all that, I'm still not completely sure it'd be legal.

Technical Ted
04-26-2007, 4:59 PM
Afraid the only thing he can do is rent a storage locker or something.
Or strip it down to the lower receiver and put that in a safety deposit box. Then the upper and lpk can be stored anywhere.

grammaton76
04-26-2007, 5:01 PM
Or strip it down to the lower receiver and put that in a safety deposit box. Then the upper and lpk can be stored anywhere.

Ah, very good point. I'm pretty sure the bank couldn't be held liable for the box's contents, and it would incontrovertibly be stored in rented space.

doran4x
04-26-2007, 5:08 PM
Could it be sold out of state?

Tom

bwiese
04-26-2007, 6:01 PM
A registered assault weapon cannot be lent. The only way you can use it/hold it, etc is if you are in his presence. (An illegal unregistered AW can't be lent, either, but that's beside the point.)

Additional penalty escalations are present for lending to minors - even if the minor is your child, and the child is continually in your presence.

An registered assault weapon can be sold out of state under the following conditions:

(1) if shipped from CA, it must be shipped via services of a CA FFL holding a CA assault weapons permit from DOJ.

(2) A reg'd AW can also be transported by owner directly, via car or air, locked & unloaded, to a point outside CA. At that point it could be sold or shipped to an FFL dealer. (Do *not* sell any firearm directly to another individual after crossing a state line.)

(3) A Category III assault weapon can have a sufficient number of evil features - those listed in 12276.1PC, including things like pistol grips, flash hiders, folding or telescoping stocks, forward pistol grips, etc - removed to render the firearm into non-assault weapon status. [Category III AWs are those not banned by specific make/model names and instead by generic features - these were supposed to be registered in 2000.]

Why he wants to sell something impossible (for now) to reobtain in CA I simply do not know.

Yes, he can store it securely in a storage locker.

doran4x
04-26-2007, 8:21 PM
It's not that he wants to sell it as much as I want to buy it.

Technical Ted
04-26-2007, 8:33 PM
It's not that he wants to sell it as much as I want to buy it.
Which you can't. Unless you buy an OLL, pay him for whatever parts you can transfer from his AW to the OLL. He keeps the original receiver.

doran4x
04-27-2007, 5:10 AM
Thank you all for the information.

Tom