View Full Version : 1953 .308 Winchester Featherweight M70 - how much is safe to do?

04-21-2012, 4:29 PM
The coup de grace of dad's old gun pile is this little beauty. To be honest she's in pretty rough shape. The recoil buttplate is destroyed by age, someone started sanding on the stock at some point (checkering is all in decent shape though), and surface rust with very mild pitting everywhere.

The GOOD news is that the bore looks absolutely gorgeous, and everything seems to function fine, if a little gritty from the rust. A bit of googling tells me this rifle could be worth around a grand in current condition, and is probably worth having professionally restored. Unfortunately, that's not really an option at this point.

In the interim, I'm thinking of doing the following myself: stop the swelling on the bare section of stock with a bit of steel wool & tru-oil, polish out the surface rust with some 000 steel wool, and work the rust off the bolt and internals with a bit of 600 grit wet/dry. Would any of this be utterly foolish to do? I'd love to get her into firing shape, but don't want to destroy any value that's there.