PDA

View Full Version : 10/22 Takedown Accuracy - Range Report

jimster716
04-21-2012, 2:12 PM
Took my 10/22 Takedown to the range today to sight-in and to see how it shoots at 50yards with a benchrest and my UTG 4x32 (which for $46 shipped has impressed me with its brightness and long eye relief but fat crosshairs).

I started with Winchester Super X 40gr 1300fps. It did ok. No failure to feeds unlike my first time out at the indoor range where a good 5-8 rds of CCI ammo failed.

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/5084/target0421121st.jpg

Then I pulled out the CCI Mini-Mag and proceeded to knock out this pretty good group (pretty good for me).

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/3536/target042112best.jpg

Then it all went to hell and couldn't hit the proverbial broadside.

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/8661/target042112last.jpg

Kind of left scratching my head at the last set, maybe I was losing focus or something. Scope was still on tight. Anyways, still fun to shoot and good enough for me to keep as a pack rifle.

billped
04-21-2012, 2:52 PM
Perhaps you are like me: when target shooting, at some point I get bored/tired and my aim goes to hell. That point tends to be around 200 rounds. Anything after that and I am just pulling the trigger to get a cool bang sound - there is no other benefit.

Excaliburr
04-21-2012, 4:28 PM
Perhaps the barrel got hot or the bore became fouled. That is what is good about bringing along a bore snake to the range. But that is just me.

CZlover
04-21-2012, 6:33 PM
Perhaps the barrel got hot or the bore became fouled. That is what is good about bringing along a bore snake to the range. But that is just me.

+1 for bore snakes, these are well-worth the money imho

BBJohnnyT
04-21-2012, 8:19 PM
I'd suspect a faulty scope over a problem with the rifle. I've been through a dozen cheap $50 scopes (UTG, Leapers, Simmons, NC Star) over the years that bought the farm. You get what you pay for with sub 100 dollar scopes.

Or, the barrel connection may have settled with some initial use. Remove it and screw out the knurled adjustment knob so the barrel is snug when you rotate it back in.

DinoPJR
04-21-2012, 9:14 PM
Man i can't wait to get my takedown! Those look like decent groups though man!

Greg90731
04-23-2012, 3:31 PM
+1 on the scope failure. It happened to me once. I was shooting super tight group and getting very excited and all the sudden, I started spraying around with no consistent patterns. I was scratching my head too and realize after a while that my scope was not well attached had come lose. It was shifting slightly after every shot. I fell like an idiot, stopped trying to zero the scope and looked around to make sure nobody was making fun of me...:facepalm:

BBJohnnyT
04-23-2012, 7:38 PM
+1 on the scope failure. It happened to me once. I was shooting super tight group and getting very excited and all the sudden, I started spraying around with no consistent patterns. I was scratching my head too and realize after a while that my scope was not well attached had come lose. It was shifting slightly after every shot. I fell like an idiot, stopped trying to zero the scope and looked around to make sure nobody was making fun of me...:facepalm:
Good point. Your scope may not have failed but the the base or ring mount screws worked loose. That's common. Put a bit Loctite on all of them to keep them in place through hundreds of rounds of recoil. Use the lower strength "purple" Loctite instead of the regular strength "blue" or else you may not ever get them off without damaging the tiny threads.

Dirtbikindad393
04-23-2012, 7:49 PM
I can't wait to get mine tomorrow after 11:16 am. :thumbsup: