PDA

View Full Version : I like concept of Magpul loop at bottom of mag for

Squid
04-21-2012, 1:34 PM
easy one finger holding of mag (and I guess it is supposed to cushion things when gun is being handled roughly in prone position?).

But I'd like to expand on the concept and make the loop a snap ring, so you can quickly secure the mag to any handy loop like pants belt loop or one of those "load bearing vests" that are "all loops".

Here is a plastic snap ring as example in case anyones wonder what I'm talking about. For a mag it would be different shape, better for fingering more durable like Magpul. Would need to be easily removed from fairly wide webbing loops such as those on load bearing vest or even rifle sling with one hand and while at some fingers are busy holding other mags. Should also "fall" nicely when secured to typical pants belt loops and hang more or less straight down. I'm thinking the best carry would be the belt loops on back of pants.

http://www.wbcindustries.com/images/products/Hardware/LANYARDS/PLA99-99BK.jpg

For a mag-snap-ring the long side opposite the spring would be integral with the base of the mag.

The idea would be easy one handed securing/access of mags without a special mag pouch.

Any thoughts?

wsmc27
04-21-2012, 1:39 PM
Since you ask...

My initial thought is that standing there with the mag clipped on will be different then walking/running, going prone, rolling around on side urban prone etc, and that it would be of non-interest/no-go for my use.

YMMV.

:)

jcslone
04-21-2012, 1:50 PM
the purpose of the MagPul mag loops is for easier initial extraction of the magazines from your magazine pouches. Sometimes pouches can have a rather tight fit and it can be difficult to get a good grip on them to pull them out. that's what the loops are for.

as for your idea...I would not want anything on the bottom of my mag that could potentially hook onto something accidentally and snag me up (be it bushes, a fence, whatever). its a saftey hazard

Prc329
04-21-2012, 2:25 PM
Ive also found it nice with the ranger plates to clear a double feed. Nice to have a "handle" to pull on.

EvolutionGSR
04-21-2012, 3:42 PM
easy one finger holding of mag (and I guess it is supposed to cushion things when gun is being handled roughly in prone position?).

Its supposed to be so you can pull the magazine out of whatever the magazine is in easily with or without a gloved hand. Out of a mag carrier, out of a bag, out of the magazine well. Its for pulling the magazine....can you guess what their name came from?:D