PDA

View Full Version : whats HD ammo reliably feeds in a 9mm 1911?

pilotimb
04-26-2007, 4:14 PM
I've owned my springfield arms 9mm 1911 for almost a year now. It loves WWB target ammo. I recently tried to feed it some HD ammo, Federal 124g JHP Hyrdra-shok, and it would not feed reliably at all.

Can anyone recomend some HD ammo that my gun might like?

2nd question. As I practiced trying to feed the hydra-shok, several of the unfired rounds ended up a milimeter to three shorter as the bullet was shoved back into the case as it jammed against the feed ramp. Are these rounds still safe to fire in another gun?

thanks all

Jicko
04-26-2007, 4:27 PM
Use a Glock 19.

*sigh*

(It had certainly demonstrated its lethality recently, in a BAD way...... & personally, I've one too......)

pilotimb
04-26-2007, 4:39 PM
Use a Glock 19.

*sigh*

(It had certainly demonstrated its lethality recently, in a BAD way...... & personally, I've one too......)

Funny you should mention that. The G19 or 23 is next on my list to buy.

-hanko
04-26-2007, 6:31 PM
Can anyone recomend some HD ammo that my gun might like?

2nd question. As I practiced trying to feed the hydra-shok, several of the unfired rounds ended up a milimeter to three shorter as the bullet was shoved back into the case as it jammed against the feed ramp. Are these rounds still safe to fire in another gun?

thanks all
Buy a few boxes / brands and see what happens. I'd have the gun looked at by a smith if multiple hp brands fail to feed.

Rounds with the bullets pushed back should NOT be re-chambered. Case volume is now smaller and pressure will be MUCH higher if the bullet were fired. Either throw them away, or disassembe the round, reseat and recrimp the bullet...this assumes you have reloading equipment.

Something is not right if the bullet nose crashes against the feed ramp.:mad:

-hanko

Moonclip
04-27-2007, 12:23 AM
+1, increases pressures. Try some standard Remington jhp, not the golden sabres. Remington hp pistol ammo has a rounded profile that will generally feed in guns that only feed ball reliably.

DV8
04-27-2007, 7:08 AM
Its hard to say what specific ammo a gun will like. All you can do is buy a box or two and try it.

You also might want to research how to make your 1911 feed other ammo reliably or pay a good smith to work on it.Talking to Terry Tussey a long time ago when I had the same problems with my 1911 he said a properly worked 1911 should be able to feed anything even empty cases. He also recommended good mags as opposed to the 5 buck "colt" mags I had at the time. Changed my mags, did a throat and polish to the feed ramp, problem solved.

mumbleypeg
04-27-2007, 8:35 AM
Hollow points and 1911's can be a problematic relationship. You might try the powrball (or however it is spelled ).

maxicon
04-27-2007, 9:03 AM
The Federal Expanding FMJ might be a good solution - it's a flat tip FMJ with a rubber plug under the jacket to provide expansion, and is supposed to help with feeding, as well as preventing non-expansion due to HP plugs from fiber and such.

I've been feeding it to my HD 9mms recently, but they're all pretty reliable with anything, so I can't speak to that aspect.

http://www.ammoman.com/40_EP_DESC.htm - it's a little pricy, at about $25/box.

Another option might be Speer Gold Dots, which have a narrower HP than many HD rounds. I've used them for years with no problems, but again, I don't have any problems with any rounds.

A big plus of GDs is that they're very affordable for high quality HD ammo - currently going for $11-12/box on gunbroker. Search www.gunbroker.com for 9mm gold dot.

-hanko
04-28-2007, 6:06 AM
Talking to Terry Tussey a long time ago when I had the same problems with my 1911 he said a properly worked 1911 should be able to feed anything even empty cases.
A big +1. How does your gun do with feeding resized empty cases??

-hanko

tankerman
04-28-2007, 7:01 AM
Its hard to say what specific ammo a gun will like. All you can do is buy a box or two and try it.

You also might want to research how to make your 1911 feed other ammo reliably or pay a good smith to work on it.Talking to Terry Tussey a long time ago when I had the same problems with my 1911 he said a properly worked 1911 should be able to feed anything even empty cases. He also recommended good mags as opposed to the 5 buck "colt" mags I had at the time. Changed my mags, did a throat and polish to the feed ramp, problem solved.
have it worked on, many auto's have problems with self defense ammo.