PDA

View Full Version : Camo wrap on rifle is sticky

r8dr rider
04-21-2012, 10:36 AM
I recently wrapped my Saiga and Remington 700 took them out to the desert and now the wrap feels sticky. Anyone else use this stuff and have this issue?

http://i.imgur.com/SpKpf.jpg

Sky_DiveR
04-21-2012, 11:02 AM
That's the nature of the beast. That's what keeps the tape sticking to itself and not unraveling. Heat (warmth?) seems to make it even stickier. Just don't lay it on some dirt or loose grass. Sometimes it even feels like it comes off on your hands (and face) after use. Ya can't seem to get away from the stickiness.

Steve G
04-21-2012, 11:03 AM
Is that adhesive tape? LOL I wonder what the barrel looks like when you remove that tape?

Turo
04-21-2012, 11:07 AM
Is that adhesive tape? LOL I wonder what the barrel looks like when you remove that tape?

I'll take a stab at it: Gross.

TNP'R
04-21-2012, 11:14 AM
Wonder if goo gone would hurt the finish. If not use that to get the glue off it.

r8dr rider
04-21-2012, 11:18 AM
Its not adhesive tape. The tape only sticks to it self and not the rifle. It leaves no residue behind on the gun (trust me I already checked). But ever since taking it out there are parts of the tape that is sticky. I'm guessing the "glue" seeped through. Oh well it was only $12 for the roll guess I'll cut my losses and save for a Duracoat job.

rb765
04-21-2012, 1:09 PM
I got a roll of it for my FAK from the local blood bank. I never thought of using it for my rifle, but why not. The only camo colors they had were woodland and pink. Not sure what the price of a pint of blood is going for, but as least it did not come out of my gun fund.

TKM
04-21-2012, 1:23 PM
It's mostly from the goo along the edges of the tape. After a couple of years it'll dry out and the tape will start to fall off.

Any residue can be easily cleaned up with a little solvent.

I did a bicycle for a friends kid a few years ago, Full G.I. Joe themed camo job.

Looked cool, didn't last. No big deal.