PDA

View Full Version : Ugh... how long have you gone

Write Winger
04-20-2012, 11:07 PM
Without cleaning your guns after a trip to the range?

I' normally Mr OCD about it, but with getting home late last Sunday from the range, taking care of the little kids, work, 3hrs a day of "free time" before work packing up the house to move, finishing painting some interior walls, scheduling a consultation with Stanford endocrinology, selling two cars... I haven't cleaned the guns yet! Or mowed the lawn which is now like two feet tall.

So, how long have you gone? And what can I expect? I've never gone a week, I'm ashamed of myself. What can happen?

cpiaaq
04-20-2012, 11:21 PM
I clean every 500 rounds or if I use corrosive ammo... so depending on what I'm shooting it can be a couple months between cleanings.

jcslone
04-20-2012, 11:24 PM
I clean them as soon as I get home with my good friend Mr. Guinness ;)

MrPlink
04-20-2012, 11:35 PM
:looks at ak: dont recall the last time i cleaned my wasr.

battleship
04-20-2012, 11:41 PM
You will need to throw that weapon away, its pretty much ruined.
You have around 24 hours before it starts to rust from the inside out.

I have an AR in the safe that has sat for 2 weeks without been cleaned and i put 250 rounds through it, so i would think its pretty much buggered.

Then again its all in your mind, i think most of us here are guilty of over pampering our guns, if i shoot a box of 9mm i will still clean the gun that day if not the day after, no wonder i go through so much CLP.
And now your thread has reminded me that i never did clean that AR, do i really need to, i seriously doubt it, but the anal in me will have me breaking it down poping the gas piston out and polishing, buffing the weapon like it was a new car after a light sprinkle.

If you want to keep it looking brand new then be anal, but not cleaning it for a week is not going to do any harm to it what so ever.

straykiller
04-21-2012, 12:15 AM
about 4 or 5 range trips, maybe more. Although when its corrosive ammo i clean it right away .

Hamstur
04-21-2012, 12:17 AM
it you're shooting a rifle, cleaning more than every ~250 rounds for a semi or 500-700 rounds for a bolt action will do more damage...

all torque
04-21-2012, 4:18 AM
About every 500 rds or every few months. I actually want to test my guns and see how long I can go without cleaning before I have some type of malfunction. I dont use corrosive ammo so I don't worry about it too much.

fabguy
04-21-2012, 5:46 AM
One time I went 700+ rounds before it started acting up, it is an AR and I wanted to see if the old wives tale that everyone talks about was true that you have to keep it clean or it wont work right. Well, I found that it worked until then so I kinda threw that theory out the window. I don't use corrosive ammo, I reload my own. I clean all my rifles after their 2nd range trip, pistols after every trip because they seem to get dirty faster. Lately a few of us will get together ususally around 3 guys and we will sit, clean our stuff, B.S., and show our kids how to do it. Funny part is when someone stops by and see's 20+ guns sitting around, the look on their face is priceless, then the quietness sets in like as if they don't want to upset anyone. :)

lewdogg21
04-21-2012, 5:52 AM
Heh, I don't shoot corrosive but sometimes years if it's a hunting rifle and I don't want to clean it to change the POI. The main thing I clean for and worry about is surface rust. A quick wipe down eliminates/reduces that. I don't know if what I do is "best" but it works for me.

Omega13device
04-21-2012, 7:48 AM
Enjoy...http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=559400

curisu
04-21-2012, 8:07 AM
In my experience, cleaning schedules are dependent on the firearm itself.

My Les Baer TRS likes to be run clean. If she is clean, I can run 500 rounds in a single session with just about any load I have on hand with 0 failures. If I leave her dirty, the following session I'll have failures to return to battery, FTFs, etc.; a quick dab of oil, and she'll finish strong. in her defense, I only have 3k rounds through her, so to me, she's still "new".

My other pistols can go a few sessions without cleaning and run reliably.

Divernhunter
04-21-2012, 9:14 AM
Non-corrosive ammo--10+ years. Corrosive ammo -At the range with windex and then clean and oil when get home or at the range. I have 12 years and about 2000 rounds thru my M1a and I guess it is time to clean it. I have 5000+ thru a Marlin 22RF and it still cycles well so not time to clean it.

joefrank64k
04-21-2012, 10:57 AM
Clean after every range trip? Oh my, that would take me longer than the actual day at the range! :)

Here's a fairly typical load-out for the range, the pic is from a couple of years ago, but this is the general mix. Can you imagine cleaning all those? And for what purpose? As others have said in this (and other) threads: modern finishes, propellants, and lubricants make routine cleaning totally unnecessary...

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt139/joefrank64k/decb78c4.jpg

m03
04-21-2012, 12:36 PM
24 hours :)

Reductio
04-21-2012, 12:40 PM
Clean after every range trip? Oh my, that would take me longer than the actual day at the range! :)

Here's a fairly typical load-out for the range, the pic is from a couple of years ago, but this is the general mix. Can you imagine cleaning all those? And for what purpose? As others have said in this (and other) threads: modern finishes, propellants, and lubricants make routine cleaning totally unnecessary...

Holy crap... so your'e that guy at ASR... :willy_nilly: :D

Agreed though, I only clean out my Mosins because I use corrosive ammo. AR's and handguns? Forget it. Maybe I'll run a brush down the bore of my 22's just to scrape out a bit of lead....

Kelster1574
04-21-2012, 1:21 PM
I am bad, really bad when it comes to cleaning. My buddies always tell me when they hear about guns that cycle good without cleaning....you will be fine

smittty
04-21-2012, 2:13 PM
Normally after each range session but I have gone a couple months without cleaning them due time constraints. If i know I won't have time I still wipe them with oily rage before putting them away.

Dirty but dry is ok, moist or sweaty fingerprints are not.

BretByron
04-21-2012, 3:12 PM
Longest one was 5 years on a Mossberg 500.

Agent 0range
04-21-2012, 3:27 PM
A week?!?! You might as well chalk them up as a loss. Luckily you can send them to me and I can dispose of them properly for you;) I'm just like you, I clean everything after every trip, but it takes me about a week to get them all cleaned. I start with the handgun and shotgun that I use for HD as soon as I get home. The rifles get cleaned at some point throughout the week after the kids have gone to bed.