PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Mark III Ammo Suggestion

Walter Mitty
04-20-2012, 10:04 PM
I picked up a Ruger Mark III 22/45 a couple weeks ago and took it out to the range. I was shooting Winchester Wildcat ammo in it, and the gun kept misfeeding and jamming. I took it home, gave it a good cleaning and took it back to the range. This time I used CCI ammo, and I didn't have any problems at all. I switched back to the Winchester ammo and it started jamming again.

Any ammo recommendations for a Mark III? Any other tips to increase reliability would be appreciated.

Fherot
04-20-2012, 11:23 PM
My Ruger 22/45 jammed all the time the first trip out to the range, my all-metal MkIII target did not.

I wonder if the 22/45's just need a break in?

just clean it really well at first and burn bricks of .22 through it and it should then be 100% reliable.

Mine eats through a boxes of Federal with only a few bent rounds causing a stove pipe here and there.

Also I noticed that bulk Winchester and the Remington are dirtier and the polymer Ruger .22's seem to gum up quicker when new.

Stick to Federal and CCI until your gun is 'broken in'.

jhutchens
04-22-2012, 1:41 PM
My girlfriend just got one and our first time out it went through a Federal bulk pack without any problems. Maybe we got a good one but I wouldn't worry about jamming until you get a few hundred rounds through it (so its fully broken in). I'm not familiar with the gun though so somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

Ron-Solo
04-22-2012, 1:55 PM
I shoot Whinchester and Federal bulk pack from Walmart thru mine all day long. I have yet to have a malfunction after thousands of rounds. I keep it clean and well lubricated.

Cactus_Tim
04-22-2012, 2:21 PM
My friends and I have shot a bulk pack of Federal through my Mark III that I bought last month.
It had a couple of misfeeds but nothing to worry about. Easily cleared and back to shooting. They all love it. We'll just keep shooting it and see how it does.
Just bought 3 more bulk packs of Federal at Walmart.

aatruong
04-22-2012, 2:31 PM
My mk3 hunter loves cci mini mags but doesn't mind the bulk. I've stayed away from the remmy bulk because cleaning it is such a pain in the #%*!

Dannicus
04-22-2012, 2:42 PM
Wal-mart Federal and Winchester bulk packs run pretty much as flawlessly as I could hope in my 22/45. if you need to break it in and don't want to spend the extra bit on CCI, you could try the non-loose packed LRN Blazer bricks. Those seemed to have a bit more punch than the Fed and Winchester loose stuff.

glockman19
04-22-2012, 2:54 PM
I shoot CCI Mini Mag 40 grain and CCI Blazer...although it eats everytheverything I've fed it including Winchester and Remington.

bikingben
04-22-2012, 8:17 PM
The CCI Mini Mags always work out fine. I would agree with others here that Federal works fine, but at a cost in accuracy. But, I never have a jam with Federal. I do find that I need to keep the extractor clean, like wipe it down after every shoot, to ensure a good functionality.

rogervzv
04-23-2012, 12:24 AM
I have found that Federal Bulk Blue Box 525 is super reliable in my Mark IIIs, Mark IIs and Standard. Cheap and accurate, too.

dlichterman
04-23-2012, 2:41 PM
I have used CCI Mini mags,CCI Blazer, thunderbolt, and Federal Bulk in my Mark III. Only one stovepipe and I can't remember which it was.

LikeAllGuns
04-23-2012, 2:45 PM
OP already nailed it CCI all the time in all 22lr

Wicked K5
04-23-2012, 3:07 PM
Mine has eaten everything I've fed it so far: rn and hp Minimags, Federal bulk, Federal Lightning, Federal Automatch, Remington Target, Remington Thunderbolt, and Remington Golden Bullet. All those combined for roughly 700 rounds with the majority being Minimags

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Asher L
04-24-2012, 8:54 PM
I've put about 2k rounds through my Mark III so far with zero problems: a few hundred Mini Mags and the rest bulk Blazer. The Blazer ammo is cheap, consistent, and 100% reliable in my gun.

m1a1driver
04-24-2012, 10:02 PM
the flatter nose of the winchester bulk jams mine up sometimes, federal runs 100%