PDA

View Full Version : Is this a legal path of Family transfer?

Whitesmoke
04-26-2007, 12:55 PM
If I had bought a lower reciever in the past and DROS'd it in my name. Then could I now give it to my wife to give it to her Dad to give to his son (my brother-in-law) without any paperwork whatsoever?

This is all based on people that can all legally own firearms.......

chiefcrash
04-26-2007, 12:58 PM
If I had bought a lower reciever in the past and DROS'd it in my name. Then could I now give it to my wife to give it to her Dad to give to his son (my brother-in-law) without any paperwork whatsoever?

This is all based on people that can all legally own firearms.......

yep!

tlillard23
04-26-2007, 1:19 PM
Does it matter if they are in the same state or not?

chiefcrash
04-26-2007, 1:54 PM
Does it matter if they are in the same state or not?

now that DOES matter.

the situation above only is valid if everyone lives in the same state...

Whitesmoke
04-26-2007, 2:23 PM
Thanks for the reply....I thought so. But I was a little unsure of the wife transfer part. I know it's community property, but I just didn't remember a wife being mentioned in the last thing I read about it.:D

Mssr. Eleganté
04-26-2007, 9:28 PM
Thanks for the reply....I thought so. But I was a little unsure of the wife transfer part. I know it's community property, but I just didn't remember a wife being mentioned in the last thing I read about it.:D

Yeah, the wife isn't mentioned in the Penal Code section on "family" transfers. But she is covered under the section on "operation of law" transfers, which is where the community property that you mention comes into play.

It's interesting to see that the DOJ-BOF FAQ now mentions wife or registered domestic partner. So some of you guys who are really desperate to transfer a handgun without going through an FFL now have another option. :p

Whitesmoke
04-26-2007, 9:45 PM
Yeah, the wife isn't mentioned in the Penal Code section on "family" transfers. But she is covered under the section on "operation of law" transfers, which is where the community property that you mention comes into play.

It's interesting to see that the DOJ-BOF FAQ now mentions wife or registered domestic partner. So some of you guys who are really desperate to transfer a handgun without going through an FFL now have another option. :p

Good info....thanks!
&
So some of you guys who are really desperate to transfer a handgun without going through an FFL now have another option. :p
Thats funny!!!!:eek: :D

M. Sage
04-26-2007, 10:03 PM

Lol!

....hmmm.

Ah, I'm married anyway.

Whitesmoke
04-26-2007, 10:32 PM
Lol!

....hmmm.

Ah, I'm married anyway.

It would still be ok...if you lived in Utah...lol.