PDA

View Full Version : Can you see your bullet hit the target?

bubbapug1
04-20-2012, 8:04 PM
I was at Burron today with a few 308's. I took along my Savage MKII to do some shooting as 308 all day can give me a headache.

It was brilliantly bright today at Burro. I was using a Birchwood Shot N See large black target. The MK was doing well at 50 yards, so I started to plink oranges at 100 yards. Eventually I decided to move out to 100 yards to see how the 22LR would buck the strong 8-14 mph crosswind.

I started seeing what I thought was paper flying off the target, but holding the rifle tightly on the sandbags, and not allowing it to recoil I was able to determine I was actually seeing the bullet arching into the target, perhaps the last 20 yards or so of the flight. I was amazed once I caught on to what it was, and I could clearly see at least 50% of the shots drill into the target.

I'll try to get a video of it next time from a spotting scope and post it. I also was amazed at how the bullet arches after 70 yards....It looked like a skyhook.

ch3ck5ix
04-20-2012, 8:17 PM
I've only seen the bullet trace at longer ranges with .308 and when the light was just right... You must have good eyesight. On a 22LR doesn't the bullet drop like ~6" at 100yds?

Bigtwin
04-20-2012, 8:33 PM
I have seen my bullet hit targets on a few occations. I think the sun light has to be just right for it. I have seen it with .38 and .40s&w, the sun must have been just so in the trees! I have not been able to duplicate it , nor have I tried. It has happened for me when we were camping all of us could see it leaving the barrel and hitting the target!

Not the shooter though..just as we watched.

bubbapug1
04-20-2012, 8:55 PM
Its a drop of 5.58 if set at a 50 yard zero.

I think you are correct, the sun has to be just right, and it was. The bullet was very bright in flight, like a glare almost coming off of it. It was really fun to watch it move. I could see the gusts push it off course too.It looked like a breaking curve ball!!

I'm 56, my eyesight sucks but the scope is a super sniper 20x....very clear.

Turo
04-20-2012, 9:01 PM
Its a drop of 5.58 if set at a 50 yard zero.

I think you are correct, the sun has to be just right, and it was. The bullet was very bright in flight, like a glare almost coming off of it. It was really fun to watch it move. I could see the gusts push it off course too.It looked like a breaking curve ball!!

I'm 56, my eyesight sucks but the scope is a super sniper 20x....very clear.

What you're seeing is the reflection of the sun off of the back of the bullet. When the sun is low behind you, you can catch it pretty often at least with slower (pistol) bullets. Try shooting a TMJ 45 or 40, they really light up if you catch them in the sun.

Watch your .308 bullets too, but for a different reason. If you get them out past 200 yards or so, you can see the vapor trail, easily with a spotting scope, or barely with the naked eye. It's easier to see when the bullet has dropped a bit.

NSR500
04-20-2012, 9:14 PM
I can usually see the projectiles because I always use Tracers. :shifty:

bubbapug1
04-20-2012, 9:18 PM
I can usually see the projectiles because I always use Tracers. :shifty:

That's cheating! But it would be nice to have some from time to time...but not worth leaving California over.

milotrain
04-20-2012, 9:31 PM
If you sit behind someone shooting and you have a spotting scope you can usually see the vapor trail. Noticed this often during highpower matches.

JSolie
04-20-2012, 10:04 PM
I've seen them before. It was later in the day and the sun was getting low. I was thinking that it was because the old pump action Remington .22 rifle being shot (it'll be 101 years old next month) had a pressure issue or something.

steve91104
04-20-2012, 10:32 PM
I started to plink oranges at 100 yards.

nice :thumbsup:

Mr310
04-20-2012, 10:51 PM
In many of Hickok45's videos, I can see the bullet right before it hits the target when he's shooting at the gong. :D

sd_shooter
04-20-2012, 11:09 PM
Watch carefully:

bAOyY6yO9MQ

milotrain
04-21-2012, 8:46 AM
^^ That's exactly what I see through a spotting scope. It helps if you are very close to inline with the shooter and the target. The closer you are the better it shows up. If the shooter is making many shots on the target you can pretty quickly get an idea for where the shot is before the target is scored. It helps if the scope is dialed to it's minimum power as it gets you a larger field of view.

bubbapug1
04-21-2012, 9:42 AM
Looks like something from the matrix!!

I've seen that on 223 but my 308's recoil too much to see it.

walletclan
04-21-2012, 7:47 PM
Out at burro canyon when we take our mosins, you can see the actual bullet reflecting light out towards where it hits the target.

tnoutdoor has a video of him shooting his ar-15 and you can see the vapor trails. pretty cool.