PDA

View Full Version : Hot 22lr round?

rocker
04-20-2012, 6:48 PM
Does someone make a hot round for a 22lr? You know like a +p version or a mag version? I know they make 22wmr which I really like but at this time I cant buy another rifle. What about possibly reloading? I would pay extra if there was truly a hot round for 22lr. Any ideas?

diginit
04-20-2012, 7:07 PM
Mini mags are hotter than standard velosity 22 rimfire. But you are shooting a 22. Not a 22 mag that has a velosity of 2100 FPS. If you want to reload a .22 rimfire. You are outta luck. You cannot press out the primer and press in a new one on a rimfire case. rimfire is good for one shot only. Then the case is junk.
I have heard that some match 22 shooters buy 22 cases preprimed. But it is more expensive than buying 22 ammo. If you want higher velosities. You will have to buy a bigger gun.
The 5.56 is a great round. 3200 FPS with low recoil. Accurate to 600 yrds. through an 18" barrel. 800 in a 20". Even girls like to shoot my AR. But they like my 1911 too!
Your story in not uncommon. We start shooting with a 22. And end up with a 30-06 and a 12 gauge. Have fun and BE SAFE! Be sure of your backstop at all times. Even a 22 has a mile and 1/4 range...

Khafre
04-20-2012, 7:08 PM
The hottest .22lr round I am familiar with are the CCI Stingers. They are 32 grain copper-plated hollow points. CCI states they should be coming out of the muzzle at around 1640 fps. This is in the category of hypervelocity .22lr rounds, which are the "hottest" .22 rounds out there.

I know Remington makes a hypervelocity 33 grain round called the yellow jacket, or something like that, but I don't have any experience with those.

Also look into the CCI Velocitors. Those are fairly hot and they are 40 grain hollow points.

As for reloading, to my knowledge I do not think it is possible to reload rimfire cartridge.
In regards to price, these rounds do cost more than standard .22lr, but not nearly as much as most centerfire cartridges.

rocker
04-20-2012, 7:38 PM
I did not know that the cases have built in primers. I learned something today.
Thanks for the info....

railroader
04-20-2012, 7:39 PM
Hottest. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2506218194/aguila-super-maximum-ammunition-22-long-rifle-30-grain-hyper-velocity-plated-lead-hollow-point
http://www.surplusammo.com/product_images/v/677/22_lr_SuprMx_HP_Aguila__92178_zoom.JPG

morrcarr67
04-20-2012, 7:45 PM
Railroader beat me. That is the hottest load on the market.

Turo
04-20-2012, 7:56 PM
The hottest .22lr round I am familiar with are the CCI Stingers. They are 32 grain copper-plated hollow points. CCI states they should be coming out of the muzzle at around 1640 fps. This is in the category of hypervelocity .22lr rounds, which are the "hottest" .22 rounds out there.

I know Remington makes a hypervelocity 33 grain round called the yellow jacket, or something like that, but I don't have any experience with those.

Also look into the CCI Velocitors. Those are fairly hot and they are 40 grain hollow points.

As for reloading, to my knowledge I do not think it is possible to reload rimfire cartridge.
In regards to price, these rounds do cost more than standard .22lr, but not nearly as much as most centerfire cartridges.
I wanted to point out that their claim is exaggerated a bit, at least out of a semi auto 16" barrel. My chronograph clocked them at just a smidge over 1400fps. Maybe they gain 240fps with a longer barrel, but I have doubts about that.

I did not know that the cases have built in primers. I learned something today.
Thanks for the info....
The cases are formed and a liquid primer fluid is dripped into the empty brass as it is spinning. The spinning causes the priming fluid to flow into the rim, where it solidifies. That's why rimfire firearms are generally not as reliable as centerfire firearms.

Scout2Diesel
04-20-2012, 9:40 PM
+1 Aguila

They make a few 30 & 40 grain rn & hp loads that will make you smile.

damon1272
04-21-2012, 6:08 AM
Rilroader has it. Aguila makes a great round. They are very close to magnum rounds and they are accurate.

Ogre8472
04-21-2012, 7:15 AM
Aguila makes a great round. They are very close to magnum rounds and they are accurate.

I agree. For pure speed in 22lr this is the closest your gonna get. For Power and hard hitting down range step up to the 22 magnum or 17hmr.
Just for kicks on the opposite end of the speed spectrum their Super Colibri work very well for discrete pest elimination.

k1dude
04-21-2012, 10:24 AM
I thought I saw a .22 LR that had 1,840 fps on the package the other day. It was at Sportsmens Whorehouse. If so, that's 100 fps faster than anything listen here. But I can't remember how many grains the bullet was for calculating energy. I'll go back and check it again today.

atto
04-21-2012, 7:47 PM
Just for kicks on the opposite end of the speed spectrum their Super Colibri work very well for discrete pest elimination.

Does anyone know if these rounds cycle in a Ruger semi-auto pistol?

Ogre8472
04-21-2012, 8:44 PM
Does anyone know if these rounds cycle in a Ruger semi-auto pistol?

Sorry to say they wont. Its pure primer in these rounds. Snap caps and the average air rifle are louder than this round. They only put out around 11ftlbs or energy compared to the +130ftlbs of the standard velocity stuff.

atto
04-21-2012, 9:12 PM
Sorry to say they wont. Its pure primer in these rounds. Snap caps and the average air rifle are louder than this round. They only put out around 11ftlbs or energy compared to the +130ftlbs of the standard velocity stuff.

Can the pistol be manually cycled after a round is fired? I don't mind this as long as the round is powerful enough to leave the barrel and not cause a squib.

I would just like a way to quietly dispatch critters with the power of a .22 instead of wounding them with a .177 pellet.

Bigtwin
04-21-2012, 9:20 PM
Hottest. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2506218194/aguila-super-maximum-ammunition-22-long-rifle-30-grain-hyper-velocity-plated-lead-hollow-point
http://www.surplusammo.com/product_images/v/677/22_lr_SuprMx_HP_Aguila__92178_zoom.JPG

This! Although you may have to adjust your scope if it as been used for more common rounds(if you are using one), mine was off quite a bit using these compared to Federal or Remington.

fusionstar
04-21-2012, 9:44 PM
Supermaximum Hyper Velocity!

Almost as bad as those counter sniper scopes and extreme shock ammo.

haha

04-21-2012, 9:55 PM
"I shoot +P hydrashok .22LR..."
Hahahah..That just sounds hillarious!

CHS
04-21-2012, 10:22 PM
Can the pistol be manually cycled after a round is fired? I don't mind this as long as the round is powerful enough to leave the barrel and not cause a squib.

Yeah, they're fine. I use them in my MKII all the time. You do have to manually cycle them, but they won't squib the barrel either.

CHS
04-21-2012, 10:23 PM
Does someone make a hot round for a 22lr? You know like a +p version or a mag version? I know they make 22wmr which I really like but at this time I cant buy another rifle. What about possibly reloading? I would pay extra if there was truly a hot round for 22lr. Any ideas?

What are you trying to accomplish that you need such a hot round?

Hotter isn't going to get you any more accuracy. And small gains in fps don't equal big gains in energy. You will get a little bit better wind resistance, but that's all it comes down to.