PDA

View Full Version : AK47 Range Report from The Academy of St. Crispian (pics & vid)

zombiescanlearn
04-20-2012, 7:45 PM
Finally had a chance to take out my Romanian AK47 to the range to run her through some drills at TASC and here is my report:

To see what kind of shooting I did with the AK during this trip to the range, check out this video put together by a fellow Calgunner SuperSet. Real high quality stuff. If you haven't seen his videos, you should check them out.

X2fgQoRQuzg&list=FLetX2VHz82m32_wiMJC9hbQ&index=12&feature=plpp_video

You can find more information on TASC here www.stcrispian.com

Here is my girl:

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb391/mqd123/AK1-1.jpg

She's your basic Romanian AK47 sold by Turners. I replaced her original wood furniture with a universal AK47 quadrail that you can pick up from Amazon and the stock with a Tapco basic stock.

She has Bushnell red dot and a peep sight from MOJO. I also replaced the original safety with an aftermarket one that allows you to keep the bolt open. I also duracoated her with H&K black. Bullet button and surplus magazines from Solar Tactical. The fake suppressor is from MFI.

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb391/mqd123/AK2.jpg

Had no problem zeroing her and for the 50 or so shots, I was dead on. But then I started losing zero. I think it was due to the cheap quadrails the red dot was sitting on. I have used the Bushnell on my AR and I never had any problems with it, so I think it's the rails.

About 100 shots into the program I couldn't hit paper. Unfortunately, the way the red dot is mounted, I couldn't go to my MOJO sight.

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb391/mqd123/AK1.jpg

Things got worse from there, everything started to fall off of her. The rails started coming loose, the rail covers came flying off. Then finally, the bullet button came off. By then, I decided that I better put her away before any of the Orange County SWAT team members who were training next door came over to take a closer look at her and noticed that she didn't have a bullet button on her :facepalm:

So, basically after about 200 rounds I went back to my true love

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb391/mqd123/MR556.jpg

My H&K MR556 :)

While she was zeroed, the AK47 ran flawlessly as expected. Not a single jam or malfunction, but then again, I didn't have any with my HK either. My groupings were not as tight with the AK47, but that's probably because I'm not as used to her as I am with my HK.

Next time, I'm going to get a quick release mount and move the red dot back to a more traditional mount over the bolt and not over the barrel. That way, if I did lose zero with the red dot I can actually use my iron sight! I'll also use blue loc tite to hold everything together.

Overall, it was a great experience. Can't think of a better way to spend a nice sunny California morning.

ChaneRZ
04-20-2012, 8:10 PM
Looked like fun! Go for MI rail instead.

osis32
04-20-2012, 9:24 PM
Definitely mi rail or ultimak. Lots of blue loc tite too. You have the correct corresponding red dot you'll keep co witness too.

NorCalK9.com
04-20-2012, 9:40 PM
Very nice.
Get the tws dog leg dustcover. Its great.
Also those cheap rails are always gonna rattle loose and mive around.
This is the texas weapon system dog leg

http://imgur.com/a/IQCTf

FIREBALL_BRIAN
04-20-2012, 9:53 PM
Cool video looks like a great training class. I second the t w s rail

RuggedJay
04-21-2012, 1:37 AM
ultimak rail for AK is SOLID.

zombiescanlearn
04-21-2012, 8:15 AM
Very nice.

Can you recommend a quick release mount that will work with the AK? Just in case Ii have to dump the red dot and go to the iron sight.

zfields
04-21-2012, 9:16 AM
Can you recommend a quick release mount that will work with the AK? Just in case Ii have to dump the red dot and go to the iron sight.

Depending on the mount, you wont really need it. TWS will allow cowitness with some optics.

And good idea on dumping that rail. It is NOT meant for mounting optics. If you want a good forward rail for optics, the Midwest industries is the way to go.

Knife Edge
04-21-2012, 10:24 AM
Finally had a chance to take out my Romanian AK47 to the range to run her through some drills at TASC and here is my report:

To see what kind of shooting I did with the AK during this trip to the range, check out this video put together by a fellow Calgunner SuperSet. Real high quality stuff. If you haven't seen his videos, you should check them out.

X2fgQoRQuzg&list=FLetX2VHz82m32_wiMJC9hbQ&index=12&feature=plpp_video

You can find more information on TASC here www.stcrispian.com

Here is my girl:

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb391/mqd123/AK1-1.jpg

She's your basic Romanian AK47 sold by Turners. I replaced her original wood furniture with a universal AK47 quadrail that you can pick up from Amazon and the stock with a Tapco basic stock.

She has Bushnell red dot and a peep sight from MOJO. I also replaced the original safety with an aftermarket one that allows you to keep the bolt open. I also duracoated her with H&K black. Bullet button and surplus magazines from Solar Tactical. The fake suppressor is from MFI.

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb391/mqd123/AK2.jpg

Had no problem zeroing her and for the 50 or so shots, I was dead on. But then I started losing zero. I think it was due to the cheap quadrails the red dot was sitting on. I have used the Bushnell on my AR and I never had any problems with it, so I think it's the rails.

About 100 shots into the program I couldn't hit paper. Unfortunately, the way the red dot is mounted, I couldn't go to my MOJO sight.

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb391/mqd123/AK1.jpg

Things got worse from there, everything started to fall off of her. The rails started coming loose, the rail covers came flying off. Then finally, the bullet button came off. By then, I decided that I better put her away before any of the Orange County SWAT team members who were training next door came over to take a closer look at her and noticed that she didn't have a bullet button on her :facepalm:

So, basically after about 200 rounds I went back to my true love

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb391/mqd123/MR556.jpg

My H&K MR556 :)

While she was zeroed, the AK47 ran flawlessly as expected. Not a single jam or malfunction, but then again, I didn't have any with my HK either. My groupings were not as tight with the AK47, but that's probably because I'm not as used to her as I am with my HK.

Next time, I'm going to get a quick release mount and move the red dot back to a more traditional mount over the bolt and not over the barrel. That way, if I did lose zero with the red dot I can actually use my iron sight! I'll also use blue loc tite to hold everything together.

Overall, it was a great experience. Can't think of a better way to spend a nice sunny California morning.

Excellent lesson for people to take to heart and I commend you for an honest post. Equipment, although looking the same, does vary in quality and nothing is a proven system until actually proven. Whether its a critical HD piece, a LEO's tool or a platform that you are dragging somewhere because you are spending hard earned money on a course, having it fall apart is BS.

For this reason alone I am very skeptical about gear consultations on a forum like this, trying to differentiate between what is true and what someone is just passionate about is difficult. There is however a wealth of knowledge here and I have found a few who's recommendations can be counted on.

Thanks for an awesome post, it will surely get people off their terminals and into some training to find out what they actually have.

cortayack
04-21-2012, 10:41 AM
I run a ultimak rail and aimpoint micro T-1 on my AK.....Everything is co-witness! No problem using iron sights....

Merc1138
04-21-2012, 10:42 AM
http://www.meijer.com/assets/product_images/styles/xlarge/1003016_553556_A_400.jpg

Sturnovik
04-21-2012, 10:48 AM
What pistol grip is on the AR you got there? Looks like it gives good traction.

Knife Edge
04-21-2012, 10:53 AM
Good point, holes are drilled and tapped with oil. Before using blue loc-tite clean the screws and holes with alcohol. Something else I learned the hard way when my new surefire m600 fell off its factory mount.

Dhena81
04-21-2012, 11:16 AM
For anyone that hasn't taken any type of formal training Stan at TASC offers the most value for professional training I've ever come across.

Nice write up OP you now have some life lessons learned the hard way. Number 1 loctite everything that has a screw that's an add on anyone that has done any training or ran a gun has had the same problem. Number 2 buy once cry once you still get what you pay for in the gun industry.

When looking for a mount make sure it's compatible with the type of rails you are mounting it to. For example some rails have the cut out in the middle for a better sight picture you can't use a Larue mount with those types of rails.

A quick detach has some good things no one has really mentioned in this thread yet. The ability to co-witness is a good thing if your sight powers down for whatever reason, but if something is obstructing the glass you lose both sighting options. So the ability to quickly remove the optic is a good thing.

asgalindez
04-21-2012, 12:04 PM
For anyone that hasn't taken any type of formal training Stan at TASC offers the most value for professional training I've ever come across.

Checked out his website because of this thread (thanks zombiescanlearn) and tomorrow I will be attending Pistol 101 & 202 at Prado! Emailed Stan last night and was penciled in this morning. Can't wait!

zombiescanlearn
04-21-2012, 12:20 PM
What pistol grip is on the AR you got there? Looks like it gives good traction.

That's what she came with from HK.

zombiescanlearn
04-21-2012, 12:22 PM
Checked out his website because of this thread (thanks zombiescanlearn) and tomorrow I will be attending Pistol 101 & 202 at Prado! Emailed Stan last night and was penciled in this morning. Can't wait!

You'll have a great time. I would be attending all his classes every week... but I like being married more :)

SuperSet
04-21-2012, 2:27 PM
Nice writeup and AK, man! I'm noticing a trend with you and the suppressor look. :)

wsmc27
04-21-2012, 2:34 PM
Another THANK YOU to OP for a great write-up and honesty in his eval of choices there.

+1,000,000 on training with Stan at TASC...have done a couple days with him in 2012, and looking forward to more in the future. Great value, and a fine man with excellent instructional abilities imo.

:)

zombiescanlearn
04-21-2012, 4:38 PM
Nice writeup and AK, man! I'm noticing a trend with you and the suppressor look. :)

I'm more of a SBR guy, but being in CA, you have to work with what you have :)

zombiescanlearn
04-21-2012, 4:41 PM
Another THANK YOU to OP for a great write-up and honesty in his eval of choices there.

+1,000,000 on training with Stan at TASC...have done a couple days with him in 2012, and looking forward to more in the future. Great value, and a fine man with excellent instructional abilities imo.

Stan's the man. I'll be seeing him again in a couple of of weeks for another carbine course. Hopefully, I'll have the AK loaded back up and I'll be able to test the new mount, etc. by then.

hayaku
04-21-2012, 6:33 PM
rock on rockstar! glad the gear is failing at stan's class and you get to flush all that out and make it bomb proof before you really need it. i'm going back to the low light class and cat303 next month. need to get my fix...

Dhena81
04-21-2012, 9:26 PM
rock on rockstar! glad the gear is failing at stan's class and you get to flush all that out and make it bomb proof before you really need it. i'm going back to the low light class and cat303 next month. need to get my fix...

I'm going to low light May 12th and 303 May 19th maybe I'll see you there.

hayaku
04-21-2012, 9:32 PM

Sweet. Stan needs to open a class with gsd's too lol

See ya there!

Dhena81
04-21-2012, 9:41 PM
Sweet. Stan needs to open a class with gsd's too lol

See ya there!

That would be good they are great dogs she's my first GSD.

zombiescanlearn
04-22-2012, 9:50 AM
Personally, I'm waiting for a training day in the rain.

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
04-22-2012, 9:53 AM
Nice

hayaku
04-22-2012, 10:13 AM

our SULE class in december should be close enough... 12 hr, cold, low light... might as well rain to lol.

Mamluke
04-22-2012, 10:20 AM

Sequoia National Forest by Lone Pine peak at 11000 ft with sub freezing temps, snow fall, steep slopes, mud, rocks, brook crossings. Place accessible by dirt bike with gnarly goat trails. The first part of the drill is TO GET THERE ... :43:

Nice rifles, love the HK!

Rock on ... ;)

zombiescanlearn
04-22-2012, 10:27 AM
Sequoia National Forest by Lone Pine peak at 11000 ft with sub freezing temps, snow fall, steep slopes, mud, rocks, brook crossings. Place accessible by dirt bike with gnarly goat trails. The first part of the drill is TO GET THERE ... :43:

Nice rifles, love the HK!

Rock on ... ;)

Hey Stan. What do you think? Do you see TASC doing this?

Give me enough time to prepare and I'm in.

zombiescanlearn
04-22-2012, 10:29 AM
our SULE class in december should be close enough... 12 hr, cold, low light... might as well rain to lol.

I think I'm the first guy to sign up for this. It's going to fun! :party:

akjunkie
04-22-2012, 9:09 PM

I'm doing Low Light May 12th.. cya there.

g17owner
04-23-2012, 6:29 AM
Take the crappy forend off that AK and use a standard K-Var front end with no optics. I also tried the mojo sight but was unimpressed. I switched back to the RPK adjustable rear sight with the rear notch opened up a bit with a needle file. Fast on target, adjustable for windage and elevation too. Not only do all the rails and tactical stuff not look right on an AK but more importantly as you experienced most of it is cheap and falls apart. It just isn't as heartily designed as the gun is. Mine will hit man sized targets at 300 yards all day long without me having to do much work. 200 yards I can hit head sized paper plates easily too. I laugh at people when they say it isn't an accurate gun. It is but you also have to have realistic expectations of its capability. Here is mine all tuned up with a bunch of junk most wont notice. Thats fine by me. That looks like good, solid, no nonsense training BTW. The way it should be by a guy who is well rounded in his skills and not talking to hear himself or full of his own shiZ. That seems rare these days I might have to check him out.
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g250/fr8owner/SIG%20P6/P6006-1-1.jpg

kellanmeigh
04-23-2012, 7:48 AM
Good point, holes are drilled and tapped with oil. Before using blue loc-tite clean the screws and holes with alcohol. Something else I learned the hard way when my new surefire m600 fell off its factory mount.

(off topic?)

I worked in the amusement park industry, where keeping things together was not an option, it was mandatory.

Loctite is a system, the thread sealer/adhesive and two other components. Those are a degreaser and a primer. All three, used to Loctite's recommendations, meant the fasteners stayed put until you wanted them out.

Any good industrial house can get you the degreaser and the primer.

(/off topic?)

The Old Warhorse

zombiescanlearn
04-23-2012, 9:36 AM
Mine will hit man sized targets at 300 yards all day long without me having to do much work. 200 yards I can hit head sized paper plates easily too. I laugh at people when they say it isn't an accurate gun. It is but you also have to have realistic expectations of its capability.

I agree with you 100%. Don't know much about AKs' but from what I hear, mine is the bottom of the barrel and it was right on target while I had it zeroed. I need to work on it some more to get used to the trigger and feel, but I think it comes down to the user and not the rifle. It's bad a** weapon IMHO.

zombiescanlearn
04-23-2012, 9:37 AM
(off topic?)

I worked in the amusement park industry, where keeping things together was not an option, it was mandatory.

Loctite is a system, the thread sealer/adhesive and two other components. Those are a degreaser and a primer. All three, used to Loctite's recommendations, meant the fasteners stayed put until you wanted them out.

Any good industrial house can get you the degreaser and the primer.

(/off topic?)

The Old Warhorse

not off topic at all. Thanks for the tip.

john.t.singh
04-23-2012, 10:45 AM

The May 12th class? I was thinking of taking Pistol 202 (only class I haven't taken :facepalm:) and redoing nights...

john.t.singh
04-23-2012, 10:48 AM

^ You guys are from SD? We SD folks should band together and carpool to Stan's Classes or if we can get enough of us out here maybe Stan will come down. I hate the 3 hour trip drive from SD to Prado or even worse the 5 hour round trip drive to Angeles, but if we could carpool it would be more bearable...

zombiescanlearn
04-23-2012, 11:16 AM
^ You guys are from SD? We SD folks should band together and carpool to Stan's Classes or if we can get enough of us out here maybe Stan will come down. I hate the 3 hour trip drive from SD to Prado or even worse the 5 hour round trip drive to Angeles, but if we could carpool it would be more bearable...

5 hours?!! I thought I was addicted!:surrender:

ZX-10R
04-23-2012, 11:49 AM
Very nice.

This for the win.

TWS for sure. I need to buy two but have a few projects going on now.

zombiescanlearn
04-23-2012, 5:39 PM
This for the win.

TWS for sure. I need to buy two but have a few projects going on now.

I sent them an email asking if it would fit my AK, still waiting for a reply.