PDA

View Full Version : Me vs. A.R.M.S. #18 - I win!

Grumpyoldretiredcop
04-20-2012, 4:42 PM
I had the worst time getting an A.R.M.S. #18 to fit correctly on my recently acquired Springfield M1A. My rifle is apparently one of the many made by SA with a receiver that is definitely NOT mil-spec in dimensions.

The first time I thought I had it in place, the mount drifted after a dozen rounds. Nothing I could do seemed to work - the horizontal lug on the sight just wouldn't drop into the receiver slot. I was so PO'd at it that I put it up for sale. A couple of days ago, after much research, I found a reference that described the issues when using an A.R.M.S. mount on a SA receiver. Basically, I wound up using a plastic hammer to gently persuade the mount into position as I tightened the mounting bolt. It's a little off centerline (not that unusual for an M1A/M14 mount) but dead on line with the barrel. Blue Locktite, used liberally, will hopefully keep things from coming adrift again.

Took it to the range today; with the scope adjustments centered, the first round was about a foot high at 50 yards. Got it onto paper quickly, it only took a few adjustments to get it zeroed. Fired about 30 rounds, no movement at all.

Moved over to the 100 yard line, got it zeroed quickly. Used up the last two rounds proving the last adjustment - which was right in the bull.

So, 50 rounds and no scope base movement. I think I can now say that I win!

That is all. :D

DirtRacer151
04-20-2012, 5:07 PM
I took a bench grinder to mine back in the day!! Worked just fine for a long time.

X-NewYawker
04-20-2012, 6:45 PM
My buddy just had ARMS install it! Done!

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/JAE%20rifles/ARMSmount.jpg

Grumpyoldretiredcop
04-20-2012, 7:10 PM
Thought about both of those solutions. The reference I found gave instructions on how and where to grind, and how to narrow the vertical rib (with a file, no less). Since this is the older "split bridge" style, I hesitated to take a grinder to it, and A.R.M.S. had nothing to say when I contacted them. It was just so close that I was sure I could get it to align correctly without grinding on it.

I'm just doggone happy to get it mounted though - I like the low rails and the ability to use the irons and clean the rifle without removing the mount, courtesy of the split rails! Plus, it's a little poke in the eye to all the folks who told me "It'll never work, buy a Sadlak!" You know who you are. :43:

Now I gotta get off my dead butt and finish the GI fiberglass stock I'm working on for it. I'll be filling the buttstock hinge recess, fitting a Garand butt plate, sanding and painting, and installing a Karsten cheek rest. Yay for project guns!

dfletcher
04-20-2012, 7:33 PM
Not to tell of future problems but .....

My Scout has a habit of pinching ejected brass between the op rod and the rings, I'm told this is not all that unusual. I fiddled around a bit with placement, type of rings and am hopeful the problem has been eliminated.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
04-20-2012, 8:00 PM
Not to tell of future problems but .....

My Scout has a habit of pinching ejected brass between the op rod and the rings, I'm told this is not all that unusual. I fiddled around a bit with placement, type of rings and am hopeful the problem has been eliminated.

I'll be watching for that, been told that already. There's a couple of brass marks on the bottom of my scope, but no other sign of cases striking anything at all. Ejection is good, about 2:30 - 3:00 and cases landing about 5-6 feet away. Worst comes to worst, I can go to higher rings. I'm running Leupold medium (I think) QR rings now and the scope's bell barely clears the rear sight (it's at 6 clicks up, zeroed).