PDA

View Full Version : Savage Model 93

RiflemanZ
04-20-2012, 4:36 PM
I just recently picked up a Savage 93 from Bass Pro, the staff was extremely helpful and I had 0 hassle. I paid just about $350, it's the model with the thumb hole stock, black metal, and heavy barrel. I then proceeded to go scope shopping and decided to go with the Mueller APT 4.5-14x40AO. I coupled this with a Black Hawk bi pod and 100rds of Hornaby .17HMR 17gr ammo. Holy cow this thing can shoot!! :43: At 50yds I could put a nickle over my groupings and at 100yds my groups were no larger than 1.5" with a breeze and some operator error... Im an Army sharpshooter with experience on all M-16 family rifles as well as the M-14 and have a good understanding on how to make things drop at long ranges. This savage is a precision tool... Once that barrel is broken in, maybe some more experimenting with ammo, I know Ill be able to drop that to 1" or less at 100yds. For a rimfire thats outstanding... 0 malfunctions in 100rds, 0 bad rounds, holds zero extremely well, great trigger (Accu Trigger)... This is a hard one to beat, especially at this price point, Im in it about 600 bucks... So for anyone in the Market for one of these I highly recommend it. Ill try to post pics soon, not only does it shoot great it looks great ;)

gbran
04-20-2012, 6:09 PM
I don't have the thumbhole stock, but I'm really impressed with mine. I'm using a Weaver V16.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/gbran/93FVSS.jpg

Ogre8472
04-20-2012, 6:15 PM
RiflemanZ congrats! You've got a great rifle. I love my 93fvss
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x465/ogre8472/photobucket-4708-1330756170454.jpg

Excaliburr
04-20-2012, 11:32 PM
I have the one with the real fancy stock, fluted stainless barrel and a nikon buckmaster's 6x18 scope. You need to be accurate with this gun at 300 yards to get those varmints. 50 yards is a .22 shot. I definitely expect more from an Army sharp shooter. This gun is a tack driver!

RiflemanZ
04-21-2012, 5:46 PM
I have the one with the real fancy stock, fluted stainless barrel and a nikon buckmaster's 6x18 scope. You need to be accurate with this gun at 300 yards to get those varmints. 50 yards is a .22 shot. I definitely expect more from an Army sharp shooter. This gun is a tack driver!

Consider this though, winds going all over the place, although fairly light, still changing direction all the time, sun beating down on me, temp around 105. The barrel is not broken in yet, the shooting benches were pretty unstable, and I had a guy next to me with a 300 WSM, who seemed intent on pulling the trigger the same time I did lol.

RiflemanZ
04-21-2012, 5:49 PM
Amazing rifle though, Im going to run it through some more tests, especially with ammo this week. I know for a fact I can drill some 1/2" groups at 100 yds with some time on that accu trigger.

Excaliburr
04-21-2012, 7:56 PM
Take my criticism to heart and improve. I am not that good of a shooter IMO and these guns are truly accurate as heck. No doubt those conditions would effect your accuracy, especially with 17 grain projectiles. If you were varmint hunting in those conditions, it would be time to put away the .17 on long shots and take out the .223. The bullet is generally three times the weight and much better in the wind. Have fun and stay safe.

RiflemanZ
04-22-2012, 8:29 AM
Take my criticism to heart and improve. I am not that good of a shooter IMO and these guns are truly accurate as heck. No doubt those conditions would effect your accuracy, especially with 17 grain projectiles. If you were varmint hunting in those conditions, it would be time to put away the .17 on long shots and take out the .223. The bullet is generally three times the weight and much better in the wind. Have fun and stay safe.

I completely agree, for those longer shots I have a great 5.56/.223 that pops critters out to 400-500meters with the optic. For those 100-200yd shots though with good conditions this Savage is the ticket. Cheaper ammo, less damage to the meat and hide, and with some practice with that accu trigger, dead critters. Im going to run some 20gr. ammo through there next time and see how it does, Ive been hearing that the 20gr. makes tighter groups with the heavy barrel...

Ogre8472
04-22-2012, 9:04 AM
Im going to run some 20gr. ammo through there next time and see how it does, Ive been hearing that the 20gr. makes tighter groups with the heavy barrel...

Im interested to know how yours does. Mine seems to like 30g stuff the most. Cci tnt green is its favorite snack.

RiflemanZ
04-22-2012, 9:05 AM
Im interested to know how yours does. Mine seems to like 30g stuff the most. Cci tnt green is its favorite snack.

Ill be sure to post the results with some pics at some point, Im just wayy too lazy to dig out the camera on my only day off this week lol.