PDA

View Full Version : CZ-USA 455 --> scope?

mreed
04-20-2012, 2:49 PM
Hey guys, im looking into getting into bolt action rifles and not the ar-15 thing anymore, and what better place to start than a fun .22! I'm probably gonna end up getting the CZ-USA 455 American and was wondering what you rimfire heads would recommend as far as optics, dont wanna spend TOO much, but do want a nice, quality scope. Thanks calgunners :)

Izzy43
04-20-2012, 3:27 PM
as far as optics, dont wanna spend TOO much, but do want a nice, quality scope. Thanks calgunners :)

When it comes to optics, low cost and quality doesn't really exist together in the same scope. You can have one or the other but not both. Perhaps if you said what your budget is might help with some recommendations. By the way you have selected an excellent .22 rifle in the CZ. You will not be sorry.

So for your scope there are things to consider.

1. For what purpose will you use the rifle?
A. Target shooting from a bench wanting to shoot bugholes?
B. Plinking?
C. Hunting?
D. All three?
E. What maximum distance?
F. What minimum distance?

I would consider very few scopes that are made in China, except maybe Mueller and the Vortex Crossfire. Quality scopes are made in Japan and the Phillippines and of course Leupold/Redfield made in the U.S.A.

Brands that are mid-level quality are Weaver, Nikon, Burris, Clearidge, some of the Vortex line like the DiamondBack and Viper. Spending as much on a scope as you did on the rifle is not out of the norm. Any scope under $200 except for some rimfire specific scopes will eventually leave you wanting more quality. Buy decent glass once. Those BSA, Tasco, Barska scopes, while they do have their place are not quality scopes.

mreed
04-20-2012, 3:54 PM
yea im guessing my budget will end up being about 300$ give or take, i do realize i want a nice quality scope so i dont want to cheap out and end up buying twice.

Thanks, yea i did a lot of research and the CZ just seemed to fit the bill perfect, looks like a great quality rifle too.

Purpose: not sure on range, but preferably long distances (for a .22), for plinking / bench rest shooting.

I'd like to go with a Redfield / Leupold.

sholling
04-20-2012, 5:56 PM
That's a great choice for a rimfire rifle so do yourself a favor and put a good scope on it. Based on your usage I'd go with a Weaver V16 4-16x42 (http://www.adorama.com/WR849408.html?utm_term=Other&utm_medium=Shopping%20Site&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=gbase). Weaver Classic series scopes have outstanding fully multicoated Japanese optics (good stuff). The 4-16x zoom range gives you a wide enough field of view for plinking at 10yrds (@4x) and enough magnification for benchrest. If it was purely for benchrest I'd go with a V24 6-24x42 but the V16 is more flexible. These are rock solid scopes. Scope Rankings (http://www.chuckhawks.com/recommended_riflescopes.htm)

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/damnfineguy/22s%20-%20640dpi/IMG_0145a.jpg

Izzy43
04-20-2012, 5:57 PM
yea im guessing my budget will end up being about 300$ give or take, i do realize i want a nice quality scope so i dont want to cheap out and end up buying twice.

Thanks, yea i did a lot of research and the CZ just seemed to fit the bill perfect, looks like a great quality rifle too.

Purpose: not sure on range, but preferably long distances (for a .22), for plinking / bench rest shooting.

I'd like to go with a Redfield / Leupold.

Well getting a Leupold on that budget will be tough unless you get lucky finding a used one. That's fine as their warranty applies to the scope, not the original owner so they are a safe buy as a used scope.

Redfield recently came out with a 6-18X44MM scope which might fit the bill. There are also a number of Weaver scope in the price range. Also Nikon makes a 4-5-14X scope with side focus that is good quality and fits your budget. If you can find a store that has a good variety of scopes that you can check out that great way to compare them. I have been recently considering a Weaver 4-16X44MM AO scope with a thin crosshair with a target dot. Looks interesting @ around $290. Nikon, Weaver and the Redfield that I mentioned are all made in the Philippines.

sholling
04-20-2012, 7:41 PM
Well getting a Leupold on that budget will be tough unless you get lucky finding a used one. That's fine as their warranty applies to the scope, not the original owner so they are a safe buy as a used scope.

Redfield recently came out with a 6-18X44MM scope which might fit the bill. There are also a number of Weaver scope in the price range. Also Nikon makes a 4-5-14X scope with side focus that is good quality and fits your budget. If you can find a store that has a good variety of scopes that you can check out that great way to compare them. I have been recently considering a Weaver 4-16X44MM AO scope with a thin crosshair with a target dot. Looks interesting @ around $290. Nikon, Weaver and the Redfield that I mentioned are all made in the Philippines.
I think that depends on the Weaver. Did you mean the 40/44 in 4-12x44? Because unless something has changed very recently only Weaver's bargain 40/44 scopes are made in the Philippines. Their Classic V, K, and Rimfire lines and above were made in the same renowned Japanese fab as Bushnell's Elite line and Sightron's scopes but to Weaver's specifications and with Weaver specified coatings. Of course there is nothing wrong with Philippine fabs as Nikon has proven for years.

mreed
04-21-2012, 12:43 AM
thanks for all the suggestions guys, yea i might just go with the redfield, a lot of people have been telling e those are pretty well, but i don't want to cheap out, ill gonna go to my local gun store in a few days and check out some redfields, and leupold's.

chingdaotze
04-21-2012, 11:00 PM
You can get a Nikon Prostaff Target EFR 3-9x40 for $140.00 after rebate right now... that's a pretty good deal. I haven't had any personal experience, but I hear Nikon glass is good stuff. If I wasn't so into iron sights I would consider getting one myself.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/nikon-prostaff-target-efr-3-9x40-rifle-scope.html

SoCal Gunner
05-21-2012, 8:37 PM
Can I ask you guys which rings you used and is the 455 Varmint set up with a 11mm dove tail?

GrapesOfWrath
05-22-2012, 12:35 PM
I mounted my Nikon Prostaff Target EFR 3-9x40 on these and am very happy.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001WJ4TKK/ref=oh_details_o02_s01_i00

dfletcher
05-22-2012, 1:18 PM
Keeping in mind the CZ 455 isn't a large rifle, I'd go with the Burris Timberline in 4.5 to 14X. It's a fairly small scope, nice optics and costs about $270.00:

http://swfa.com/Burris-45-14x32-Timberline-Rifle-Scope-P11004.aspx

I think a little searching can get the scope at a better price - they used to be about $225.00, I paid $195.00 each for 2 a few months back.

Black_Talon
05-23-2012, 4:18 PM
I use the Burris Signature Zees, with either a set of the J&P Weaver adapters, or one of the DIP Picatinny rails for the 11mm dovetails.

Here's the Sig Zees with the J&P adapters. Scope is a Weaver T36:
http://www.black-talon.org/RKBA/guns/Rifles/CZ455V_Lilja_RR_1000.jpg