View Full Version : Review: CMMG 22 AR upper and Strike Industries Patriot Grip

04-20-2012, 2:39 PM
Went to the indoor range today to test my .22 cal AR pistol. The upper is a 6.5 inch CMMG 22 upper with free float handguard and flash hider. I also got the stainless bolt and collar and a working forward assist. It also has a working bolt hold open piece that works well. I put it on top of an 80% lower I had installed a Strike Industries Patriot grip on(http://strikeindustries.com/shop/index.php/rifle-enhancements/ar15-platform/ar-15-pistol-grips/ptg-pro-pack-1.html)
The good:
-Patriot grip is much more comfortable than the regular plastic grip in an LPK and it has a nifty storage compartment for bullet button tool, battery, etc.
-Bolt hold open works.
-It shoots well with some ammo. Federal Value Pack and Classic had no problems.

The Bad:
-CMMG mag didn't fit well in my lower and I had to beat it out (go with Black Dog they work fine)
-Armscor precision ammo didn't cycle at all.
-Couple casings got stuck on ejection.

Overall it's a cool range toy and for fun I might put a railed tube instead of the solid aluminum one so I can put some tacticool stuff on it.

04-21-2012, 9:56 AM
My 6.5" CMMG .22 runs great. I suggest buzzing the chamber. It will make it supper smooth.
Not sure on your mag but the grey ones had bumps on the back rib that were meant to sand/file for fit.
Without fitting, the mag would not generally fit.
Dave N

04-22-2012, 5:32 AM
Thanks for the info and the deal. I didn't know that about the gray mags so I'll take a look. I have no idea what "buzzing the chamber" is though.

04-22-2012, 6:01 AM
There are small tabs you file down on the back of the mags. Go slow and re check fit. You dont want to take too much off as they will have some wobble. I did that to the first one I fitted. It did not have any issues but it did wobble more that the next one I did. Buzzing the chamber is when you attach a .22 brass bore brush to a drill and "buzz the chamber". Mark or tape the brass bore brush because you dont want to go the past the chamber into the rifling of the barrel. Apply your favorite oil to the bore brush and hit the chamber until you feel the slightest bit of heat. Here is a video for the conversion kit, you can still perform this on a dedicated .22lr upper, just do as I mentioned with marking/taping the bore brush so you dont go past the chamber.

04-23-2012, 6:23 AM
Cool vid. Thanks for the info. I'll give it a shot