PDA

View Full Version : My first gun!

brreed1993
04-19-2012, 11:32 PM
Went to Turner's today and started the DROS for my first ever gun a synthetic Ruger 10/22. Figured now was the time to buy to have it for summer and it was a good price (210 bucks). I get to pick it up on the 30th pretty excited. Any advice for new rifle owners? Where to shoot, cleaning, ect

BretByron
04-19-2012, 11:35 PM
That's a good price. You're gonna love it.:thumbsup:

erik_26
04-20-2012, 3:49 AM
congrats. the 10/22 is a great gun.

first thing first, read and understand all of ca gun laws so you stay out of jail.

shooperman
04-20-2012, 3:53 AM
Congrats. Post some pics when you get it.

the86d
04-20-2012, 4:07 AM
The 10/22 was my first also... All the options on a rimfire were a selling point for me!

I wish they had the 10/22TD for ease of transport, with all the other stuff I have to bring to the range...

You can shoot 22lr all day, and still not run out of a $20-$25, 5xy CT. box, maybe with 2 firearms you could... :)

Excaliburr
04-20-2012, 6:16 AM
Tips on gun cleaning? Get a nice gun cleaning kit. Perhaps watch some youtube vids on cleaning, field stripping your 10/22. Get a bore snake (my favorite for the 10/22 because you cannot use a cleaning rod from the breech end). Shoot the gun with the sights provided for awhile, then buy a scope and mount it with the rail provided and practice shooting it that way. Try different types of ammo until you find an ammo that your gun really likes, no jamming, ftf and good accuracy. After this, consider some of the mods that other Ruger users do, like the auto bolt and lightening the heavy factory set trigger pull. As far as where to shoot? I don't know where you live, but look into a public range or rod and gun club. What about BLM land? One of my favorite tips is to take a hunters safety course, even if you do not plan to hunt. Lots of good safety tips there. Here is a great ruger 10/22 safety tip: after you release the magazine, open the bolt and visually inspect the chamber to make sure there is not a chambered round in the bore, then you can declare the gun unloaded. When you are going to store the gun for awhile, take the pressure off of the firing pin spring. In bolt guns you can hold the trigger as you close the bolt. In the 10/22, you may have to dry fire after you close the bolt upon checking the chamber (of course keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction).

Jack L
04-20-2012, 10:47 AM
Tips on gun cleaning? Get a nice gun cleaning kit. Perhaps watch some youtube vids on cleaning, field stripping your 10/22. Get a bore snake (my favorite for the 10/22 because you cannot use a cleaning rod from the breech end). Shoot the gun with the sights provided for awhile, then buy a scope and mount it with the rail provided and practice shooting it that way. Try different types of ammo until you find an ammo that your gun really likes, no jamming, ftf and good accuracy. After this, consider some of the mods that other Ruger users do, like the auto bolt and lightening the heavy factory set trigger pull. As far as where to shoot? I don't know where you live, but look into a public range or rod and gun club. What about BLM land? One of my favorite tips is to take a hunters safety course, even if you do not plan to hunt. Lots of good safety tips there. Here is a great ruger 10/22 safety tip: after you release the magazine, open the bolt and visually inspect the chamber to make sure there is not a chambered round in the bore, then you can declare the gun unloaded. When you are going to store the gun for awhile, take the pressure off of the firing pin spring. In bolt guns you can hold the trigger as you close the bolt. In the 10/22, you may have to dry fire after you close the bolt upon checking the chamber (of course keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction).

Good advise. The Hunters course is a great way to learn what a real safe sportsman should keep in mind right from the start of firearm ownership.

I really like 'bore snakes'. They make firearms cleaning much easier and they work well.

gil671
04-20-2012, 11:02 AM
The 10/22 is always a great first gun. Have fun and congrats!

nastyhabts26
04-20-2012, 11:55 AM
Make sure to read the owners manual cover to cover.
Pay special attention to the safety advice and maintenance.
Be safe, have fun and check back here for advice from time to time.

Jeepergeo
04-20-2012, 11:57 AM
You'll never forget that first one! You are going to have a lot of fun.:)

For shooting, you should consider going to a range so you can get sighted in under controlled conditions. After that, plinking in the desert or in the woods is a bunch of fun. Of course, make sure where you are going is legal.

And, if you have not already done so, sign up and take a Hunters Safety course or a firearms safety course. The classes are inexpensive, you'll meet some great folks, you'll have fun, and you will learn stuff that will help you start off a great hobby in a safe manner.:oji:

facn650
04-20-2012, 12:34 PM
Congrats.
Good advice here. Get some extra magazines when you get a chance, it's nice to shoot for a bit before having to reload mags

the86d
04-20-2012, 12:38 PM
I think I got one at WalMart for like $10-$15 a piece.

sholling
04-20-2012, 1:54 PM
They don't need a lot of maintenance/cleaning (unlike centerfire rifles) a few drops of CLP and a wipe down after every range trip, and clean the barrel lightly every 1000 rounds or so.

My advice is to take an Appleseed (http://appleseedinfo.org/) course and learn how to shoot right before developing bad habits. Appleseed is dirt cheap and the quality of the instruction is first rate. You'll want a couple of spare mags.

walletclan
04-20-2012, 8:08 PM
Enjoy. That is a great starter gun. The aftermarket is huge. I would definitely get 2 more mags and the trimag clamp. You can get the mags cheaply from midway and the clamp you get there too or amazon.

jbush
04-21-2012, 1:33 AM
Great choice for a first gun. use the advice here, basic cleaning, take a saftey course, and when you can some extra mags are good. Learn the basics of shooting and the safe way to shoot before you start adding a ton of mods to the gun. Have fun, as a 10/22 is a cheap way to learn shooting skills. I have one as do all my kids and I just got one for my grandson (11 months old, might be a while before he uses it).

Cactus_Tim
04-22-2012, 2:27 PM
Congrats. Be safe and have fun!