PDA

View Full Version : my m1 garand is rusting!

patriotcowboy
04-19-2012, 10:44 PM
hey guys i have a small problem. i have a beautiful m1 garand, from december of 1944 with an original walnut stock with one minute scratch. the gun is absolutely beautiful and a pure joy to shoot. however i went on a camping trip in the winter with it and we were exposed to some harsh, damp conditions, and now i am noticing small amounts of rust under the barrel, between the gas tube. i am a college student so i cannot afford a safe, and have been keeping it in a padded shotgun case. i take pride in cleaning and maintaining my gun with as much attention to detail as possible, and it is tearing me up to see this gun starting to rust. what should i do.

TheHammerOfTruth
04-19-2012, 11:01 PM
Get it out of that case and put it into a "sack-up" or some other type of treated sock. A padded case will absorb and store moisture just like a sponge. Treat your metal with "Rust Hunter" products and you should be good.

patriotcowboy
04-19-2012, 11:05 PM
thank you! but what is a sack-up?

NoHeavyHitter
04-19-2012, 11:12 PM
Guns need to be cleaned and lubricated periodically even during extended storage.

patriotcowboy
04-19-2012, 11:25 PM
i have been told to use a solvent that breaks up copper in the barrel, but i am wary of putting anything corrosive into the gun, much less the barrel.

Merc1138
04-19-2012, 11:33 PM
I thought you had a rust problem, why would you be worried about copper? Copper solvents are for copper(and oxidized copper is green if that's what you're worried about).

Stop using padded cases for extended storage, they are for transport. As someone said, they absorb moisture and hold it right next to your gun.

Sack-ups, gun socks, silicone impregnated fabric sleeves, etc. They're basically all the same thing. If you insist on keeping it in a padded case, put it in a sock so you at least have a barrier.

CC Gunsmithing
04-19-2012, 11:37 PM
there's a huge difference between "solvent" and "corrosive"

strongpoint
04-20-2012, 3:53 AM
there's a huge difference between "solvent" and "corrosive"

this. why would a substance designed to clean barrels be harmful to them?

thank you! but what is a sack-up?

google "gun sock."

CrazyJeep
04-20-2012, 6:59 AM
Also look into Poly Gun Bags (http://www.polygunbag.com/gunbags.html).

I bought a few before I got my safe and never once did I have a rust problem. The bags are infused with a VCI (vapor/volatile corrosion inhibitor) to eliminate rust.

p2rider426
04-20-2012, 7:39 AM
Keep the old girl nice and oiled! I store several rifles in padded bags because the old lady hates seeing the padded cases laying around outside the safe but I go through and oil each one up regularly and have yet to have any problems, even on old guns with delicate bluing. I just use hoppe's elite gun oil if I have any around, and if not I just rub then down with some mobil 1 full synthetic

CC Gunsmithing
04-21-2012, 9:13 PM
^^ and this, mineral oil has always treated me (and my firearms) well...

glockwise2000
04-21-2012, 9:19 PM
I used to just clean my guns frequently and just add absorbent silica gel in my gun cases when I didn't have my safe.

patriotcowboy
04-21-2012, 9:57 PM
alright im going to pick up some hoppes elite, get her cleaned, and get a gun sock. you have all been really helpful!

Cato
04-21-2012, 11:20 PM
Give it a good cleaning and oiling. Store it in a cheap case and put it in a closet or under you bed. A little bit of rust won't destroy it.

I remember in Navy OCS in Pensacola we had Garands. One night I cleaned and scrubbed all the rust off that rifle. I had a big inspection the next morning and I couldn't sleep. I just dazed off looking at my M1. I could literally see the buttplate turning red in the humid Pensacola night air.

Orlando
04-22-2012, 3:22 AM
Sounds to me it wasnt properly cleaned/oiled before being put away. No matter how its stored if you dont coat the metal with oil or grease before storage you run the risk of rust