PDA

View Full Version : Semi Auto or Pump shotgun for home defense?

flak88mm
04-19-2012, 11:34 PM
Would you go with semi auto or pump shotgun?

If semi, what would you get and why would you get that over a pump shotgun?

If pump, what you would you get and why would you get that over a semi auto?

LikeAllGuns
04-19-2012, 11:36 PM
Umm no single shot or semi for me..

870 wingmaster pump 12 gauge

Ribkick
04-20-2012, 12:05 AM
Pump. I own both but my HD is a pump.

Easy to operate, complete manual function no gas/recoil actuated function to go wrong or dirty or dry. Easy to clear a jam or miss fire (in most cases just a pump again).

Ask yourself why most LE (and spec-op?) issue a pump. They know better than me.

TZL
04-20-2012, 1:46 AM
Pump, my bedroom HD gun is a 870 with spec-ops stock, side saddle and light....

Aznatama
04-20-2012, 2:16 AM
in HD, you likely won't be needing to spray shot blasts over, and I think you'll mave more than enough time to pump if you somehow happened to miss on your first shot.

If you're just looking for an excuse to purchase a M4, then sure, I'll say "semi is better because it's easier for target re-acquisition, and you can empty all 7-8 rnds in 5 seconds on target, thereby justifying the use of cheap birdshot ammo."

Seriously though... a pump is more that likely enough

I use a 870 tactical w/ spec-ops collapsible recoil reducing stock.

compulsivegunbuyer
04-20-2012, 8:38 AM
A quality semi or a quality pump. Either will be fine. It's just a matter of preference.

redrex
04-20-2012, 6:22 PM
Pump for several reasons.

A. Reliability. Auto's are great but you can run into an issues with different size loads.
B. Combat loads. I have buck, slugs and two rounds of plastic on my gun and ready to go. The ability to quickly change loads is important to me.
C. The sound. I'm not as gung ho as some people and if it's just some kids I want to scare off, the sound of that pump is known to all :)
D. Cost can be a factor as well. A good semi auto can be quite a bit more then a solid pump.
E. Reliability again. My shotgun can sit unused for sometime. I want to know that when I pick it up in the middle of the night that it's going to work flawlessly. I have more confidence in a pump or even a side by side then in an auto.

Just my humble opinion. That all being said there are some good deals out there on a Saiga 12 these days :)

But that does bring up F. How it looks in court. A guy with a simple pump shotgun vs. the gun crazed nutter with a semi auto AK with 10rd clip! (I know it's a mag, I was being dramatic :)

madland
04-20-2012, 7:46 PM
A buddy of mine has a Mossberg 590(pump) and a 930(semi). Last few trips to the range the 590 functions flawlessly..the 930 not so much. Cycling issues either with the gun or the different types of ammo he's tried out. Still not sure. My HD is a Mossberg500 Thunder Ranch. I like knowing that in the middle of the night if God forbid I ever have to get it out to protect my family I know that all I have to do is rack it and I don't have to worry if it's gonna cycle or not. My .02

Nightron
04-21-2012, 1:56 AM
in HD, you likely won't be needing to spray shot blasts over, and I think you'll mave more than enough time to pump if you somehow happened to miss on your first shot.

Seriously though... a pump is more that likely enough
I am new to having a shotgun (for HD) and wrestled with the same question as the OP.

I think the above comments from Aznatama is grounded and practical advice.

I decided I would not be competent nor comfortable with an auto-loading shotgun. So I went with a simple, tactical pump. I always want to know what's in the chamber. And with the Benelli (Nova), I can empty the chamber without feeding another shell from the magazine -- so can then do a direct load of some different ammo.

cfd2474
04-21-2012, 2:10 AM
Pump. I prefer the multicultural Remington 870. Racking this gun says "Get the f*** out of my house!" in every language known to man.

9mill
04-21-2012, 5:59 PM
autos are way more fun, in case you like fun:)

BigDogatPlay
04-21-2012, 6:07 PM
Pump... a functionally appointed 870P is my personal choice.

* Simpler manual of arms. A beginner can defend themselves with a pump after five minutes of instruction.
* Depending on what semi you choose, and assuming you store with a full mag, empty chamber, hammer down (aka cruiser ready) how do you reliably charge the gun?
* Simpler to resolve failure to fire... pump and squeeze trigger again.

billped
04-21-2012, 6:17 PM
The last time I used a semi-auto hunting and it jammed, I didn't even bother trying to clear it in the field. I went back to my car and grabbed the pump.

That's a reasonable recovery plan when hunting dove, but clearly not an option in HD.

I think we have general consensus on this question - stick with the pump.