PDA

View Full Version : can i buy an acr out of state?

patriotcowboy
04-19-2012, 10:17 PM
hello everybody, i am new to cal guns, but i am not new to firearms, or shooting, and have been reading your posts for years and find them invaluable. that being said i need your help. i am going out of state for vacation in a couple months, and i want to purchase and ACR from a gun store out of state, convert it to a California legal ACR (fixed stock, get rid of the 30 round mag, and a bullet button) and i am wondering if this is legal. im going to bring the parts i mentioned with me, so at no point will i be bringing an "assault" weapon into California. i will convert it out of state. from what i can tell this is legal, but i want to be very sure of what i am doing. :gunsmilie:

patriotcowboy
04-19-2012, 10:18 PM
[QUOTE=patriotcowboy;8438562]hello everybody, i am new to cal guns, but i am not new to firearms, or shooting, and have been reading your posts for years and find them invaluable. that being said i need your help. i am going out of state for vacation in a couple months, and i want to purchase and ACR from a gun store out of state, convert it to a California legal ACR (fixed stock, get rid of the 30 round mag, and a bullet button) and i am wondering if this is legal. im going to bring the parts i mentioned with me, so at no point will i be bringing an "assault" weapon into California. i will convert it out of state. from what i can tell this is legal, but i want to be very sure of what i am doing. :gunsmilie:

drifter2be
04-19-2012, 10:22 PM
You cannot buy a firearm in any state that is not your state of residence. If you are a CA resident, you cannot go to another state and purchase a firearm there.

patriotcowboy
04-19-2012, 10:26 PM
i thought that the federal law was that if the gun complies with both states law, it was legal.

SuperSet
04-19-2012, 10:31 PM
drifter is correct, you need to have the weapon shipped to a CA FFL before they transfer it to you. Your plan to 'Californize' it is separate from that.

patriotcowboy
04-19-2012, 10:38 PM
okay, thank you very much. it looks as though ill just buy it here. your input has been much appreciated.

Quiet
04-19-2012, 11:03 PM
i thought that the federal law was that if the gun complies with both states law, it was legal.
True.
However, CA law requires it to be transfered through a CA FFL dealer.

So, you can purchase a firearm out-of-state but you can not take possession of it. After paying for it, the seller needs to ship it to a CA FFL dealer. You then go to the CA FFL dealer to complete the transfer.

The firearm will need to be CA compliant prior to being imported into CA and since you can not legally take possession of it, you will have to get the seller to make it CA legal (may end up costing you more $$$ to do so).

patriotcowboy
04-19-2012, 11:09 PM
alrighty, that makes sense. since its going to get shipped back to a CA ffl anyway, i might as well just find one and buy one here and save myself the trouble and extra expense.

freonr22
04-19-2012, 11:16 PM
True.

So, you can purchase a firearm out-of-state but you can not take possession of it. After paying for it, the seller needs to ship it to a CA FFL dealer. You then go to the CA FFL dealer to complete the transfer.

The firearm will need to be CA compliant prior to being imported into CA and since you can not legally take possession of it, you will have to get the seller to make it CA legal (may end up costing you more $$$ to do so).

So, a ca ffl cannot under any circumstance accept a non California compliant weapon and modify it to be compliant? Is that different than an sse performed here? I mean to say, what if the ffl has an 07? Or something .. I don't know, just trying to clarify.

NorCalK9.com
04-19-2012, 11:25 PM
If you're dad lives out of state "and buys one" I believe if he wanted to give you his gun/rifle that it'd be 100% legal..
If someone k.ows different please inform.

sigstroker
04-19-2012, 11:36 PM
True.

Not just an FFL, but a TRANSFER dealer. Otherwise the FFL would have to make another transfer (not free) to the transfer dealer before you can get it.

Quiet
04-19-2012, 11:36 PM
So, a ca ffl cannot under any circumstance accept a non California compliant weapon and modify it to be compliant? Is that different than an sse performed here? I mean to say, what if the ffl has an 07? Or something .. I don't know, just trying to clarify.

Unless the CA FFL dealer has an Assault Weapons Permit, they can not legally accept an "assault weapon" into their inventory.

A CA FFL delaer with an Assault Weapons Permit can legally accept "assault weapons" and modify them to be CA legal.

A CA FFL dealer without an Assault Weapons Permit can not legally accept "assault weapons" and modify them to be CA legal because they would be in guilty of importing and possessing unregistered assault weapons (felonies).

freonr22
04-19-2012, 11:38 PM
Thank you. A off roster pistol is different, because although non california compliant, not an aw. Thank you. The laws are pretty confusing and desire to be educated. Thank you.

Quiet
04-19-2012, 11:40 PM
If you're dad lives out of state "and buys one" I believe if he wanted to give you his gun/rifle that it'd be 100% legal..
If someone k.ows different please inform.
Incorrect.
Since both parties are residents of different states, Federal laws require the transfer to be done through a FFL dealer.
There is no intra-familial gift exemption to Federal laws.

A non-resident grandparent/parent/child/grandchild can purchase a firearm and make it CA legal, then ship it to a CA FFL dealer. Where the resident grandparent/parent/child/grandchild will complete the transfer (4473/DROS + 10 day wait).