View Full Version : ....

Vladimir
04-19-2012, 4:18 PM

BrokerB
04-19-2012, 5:04 PM
Not much to say but i love my fals

crazychinaman
04-19-2012, 6:16 PM
DSA bought all the parts and machinery from FN to make the FAL.They Are really nice ,a little pricey though. They make most of the parts in house .I have One DSA and several Imbel made up Fal's.

BHPFan
04-19-2012, 6:24 PM
I was looking into one of the DSA FAL's on atlantic firearms site. I was mainly looking at the DSA SA58STD. I heard these mainly have US parts compared to the other STG's, which sometimes have problems because they use older parts kits. Anyone own the SA58 and care to comment about it?

Problems with the DSA STG rifles?
That's the first that I hear of it.

I actually read more troubles with the SA58 than with the STGs.

Look up on www.falfiles.com (http://www.falfiles.com) in the forum section for FN and for DSA and you'll see about them.

That being said, if you're gonna buy from Atlantic Arms, ask if they have models with Bullet Button since the CA compliant DSA rifles have welding on the mag release to have it fixed.

BHPFan
04-19-2012, 6:27 PM
DSA bought all the parts and machinery from FN to make the FAL.

From FN or from Steyr?

http://www.gun-shots.net/dsa-arms.shtml

acaligunner
04-19-2012, 6:41 PM
Do the DSA FN or those from Alantic Arms come with bullet buttons, or are they top loaders only?

Also who makes Rebuilt kits for a metric FN/FAL?

acaligunner

gao1976
04-19-2012, 7:11 PM
when I bought my 16" SA58, I was under the impression that EVERYTHING on it was made here in the US . The STG58 , on the other hand used parts kit and US made parts , hence the lower price .

BHPFan
04-19-2012, 7:42 PM
Do the DSA FN or those from Alantic Arms come with bullet buttons, or are they top loaders only?

acaligunner
- As far as I know, DSA doesn't send their rifles with BB. I think Atlantic can sell them with BB, but you'll have to ask them.
- DSA does make metric mags, but to get their Rebuild kits. Try Exile Machine, they are a Calguns supporter and they have ads. You can also look at the CGN parts classifieds. However, they have to specify if the mags are metric. You can also look for those kits at the gunshow.

when I bought my 16" SA58, I was under the impression that EVERYTHING on it was made here in the US . The STG58 , on the other hand used parts kit and US made parts , hence the lower price .

True on both statements:
- SA58 is made with US parts.
- STG58 made with used parts kits and US made parts for 922r

tacticalcity
04-19-2012, 7:54 PM
I was looking into one of the DSA FAL's on atlantic firearms site. I was mainly looking at the DSA SA58STD. I heard these mainly have US parts compared to the other STG's, which sometimes have problems because they use older parts kits. Anyone own the SA58 and care to comment about it?

OFF TOPIC - Love the Avatar. The AC130 is an amazing beast. Got to see them up close and person during my time in the USAF. Was very exciting. Before call of duty most people didn't know they existed. Was pretty cool to see them in that game, after seeing them in real life many years earlier.

I suppose any video game about Afghanistan is going to need to include the A10 warthog. Another aircraft I fell in love with back when I was in the USAF, and one they were trying to phase out at the time. Boy would that have been a mistake. It has really been used to its full potential in Afghanistan, but was also used very successfully in both Iraq wars.

Old does not always mean obsolete.

dachan
04-19-2012, 9:08 PM

Still alot of surplus mags around, just find someone who's willing to make them into kits. Are you planning a featureless FAL?

OP, here's a DSA FAL for sale:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=456595

Samtech79
04-20-2012, 5:21 AM
You need to get on falfiles and read up. DSA makes a nice rifle but in the last few years people have started having quality problems. I think their receivers are the best available but other parts like the HTS and the mags are a total crap shoot.
The one thing they really have going for them is that if you do get a rifle that is giving you grief, they will right the wrong but it may take awhile.

The War Wagon
04-20-2012, 5:27 AM
DSA customer service BLOWS. :mad:

Thankfully, their rifles are so well-built, you'll never need to call them (In my case, it involved parts I ordered, that were promised in 2-4 weeks, that arrived SEVENTEEN FREAKIN' WEEKS LATER!!! :mad::mad::mad:).

BIGGEST contradiction in the industry, but there you have it! http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/images/icons/icon11.gif

Steyr_223
04-20-2012, 6:50 AM

http://www.44mag.com/product/fal_rfb_magazine/fnh_magazines

acaligunner
04-20-2012, 7:57 AM
Thank you

acaligunner

Vladimir
04-20-2012, 8:44 AM
I contacted Atlantic. They said they can add a BB, but they ran out of STG series rifles and may not get more.

Couldnt agree more, AC130 and the A10 Thunderbolt II are my fav :D

dfletcher
04-20-2012, 9:00 AM
Regarding DSA FALS, their "CA OK" model does have a spot of weld inside the receiver where the mag release pivots front & back. It doesn't weld anything into place, such as the mag or mag release. It simply prevents a conventional mag release from pivoting and releasing a magazine.

Takes about 30 minutes to remove by hand with a file or about 30 seconds if you're a whiz with a dremel. You can then use a PRK type mag lock with 10 round magazines.

thedrickel
04-20-2012, 9:14 AM
The surplus StG-58 parts are superior to DSA produced parts. DSA bolts have been known to spontaneously disassemble themselves.

Richard Erichsen
04-20-2012, 10:22 AM
DSA bought all the parts and machinery from FN to make the FAL.They Are really nice ,a little pricey though. They make most of the parts in house .I have One DSA and several Imbel made up Fal's.

The equipment and prints came from the Austrian Steyr StG58, not from FN in Belgium directly. There are subtle but largely irrelevant differences, they are the same where it counts and are a good metric FAL receiver maker, though assembly and internal parts might be better off if sourced elsewhere.

R

Richard Erichsen
04-20-2012, 10:24 AM
The surplus StG-58 parts are superior to DSA produced parts. DSA bolts have been known to spontaneously disassemble themselves.

I have a new-old-stock bolt in a new-fangled DSA carrier with V "sand-cuts" in it for that reason, though I wonder if that was paranoia. Do you have direct experience, or were the "bolt failures" a fluke of some kind now long since remedied by DSA?

R

BHPFan
04-20-2012, 11:34 AM
Regarding DSA FALS, their "CA OK" model does have a spot of weld inside the receiver where the mag release pivots front & back. It doesn't weld anything into place, such as the mag or mag release. It simply prevents a conventional mag release from pivoting and releasing a magazine.Takes about 30 minutes to remove by hand with a file or about 30 seconds if you're a whiz with a dremel. You can then use a PRK type mag lock with 10 round magazines.

That I didn't know since I never owned a DSA rifle. I mainly owned FALs built on DSA, Entreprise and Imbel receivers.

Ron-Solo
04-21-2012, 12:29 AM
My eight year old grandson built a DSA AR-15 for his dad on father's day with supervision from grandpa and a little help on the bolt catch and trigger guard pins. The quality on the lower, parts kit, and the assembled upper was very good. I have a second receiver that I'm going to have my grandson build soon. It will be a birthday present for his ninth birthday, but I'm not telling him that. :D

A friend has a DSA FAL and has it had any issues with it.

I made one phone call to place the order, and one to confirm they had received a copy of my gun stores FFL. I had everything in less than a week, except for the 10 day wait.

I'm a fan of DSA.

saki302
04-21-2012, 4:02 AM
That's funny.. the foreign made parts are virtually ALL of better quality than the US made replacements.
It took 45 minutes with stones to make my US trigger group as good as the beat up STG trigger that came in an old grubby parts kit. The military barrels were available with chrome lining which made them superior in terms of wear resistance as well.

I'm sure a US made bolt carrier would be fine, it's other things I'd be more concerned with.

If you can still find one, grab an Imbel receiver for your built. It's 100% dimensionally correct and will give you no issues during the build.

-Dave

thedrickel
04-21-2012, 9:12 AM
I have a new-old-stock bolt in a new-fangled DSA carrier with V "sand-cuts" in it for that reason, though I wonder if that was paranoia. Do you have direct experience, or were the "bolt failures" a fluke of some kind now long since remedied by DSA?

R

Not my experience, but the "what happened to the bolt on my brand new SA58" threads on the FAL Files are proof enough for me.

Vladimir
04-21-2012, 10:36 AM
a simple google check about SA58 bolt problems will show alot of issues people have had. Seems like posts that were a few years ago though, I hope they corrected the problem.

atv
04-21-2012, 4:04 PM
Only thing I hate about DSA is their shipping rates. I ordered a few small parts (pins, small springs, etc). They charged me around $15-20 to ship it ground. They charge about double what it actually costs.