PDA

View Full Version : 1st Bolt Action Rifle

Generic
04-19-2012, 2:39 PM
I'm looking to get my first bolt action rifle within the next few days. I've never hunted but have famliy and friends that do so I'll eventually make a trip. I'll probably use it more for punching paper. I've narrowed it down to the TC Venture or the Tikka T3 Lite. Looking to get a .308. If I got the Venture, I'd get the weathershield which comes with a stainless steel barrel. The Venture is about $100 less than the Tikka. Is it worth the extra $100 or should I use that money towards a better optic? Thoughts?

Short Action Precision
04-19-2012, 3:04 PM
I would go for the Tikka. You will not be disappointed.

Generic
04-19-2012, 3:41 PM
I would go for the Tikka. You will not be disappointed.

Thanks. That's what I was kind of leaning towards but wanted some opinions.

atakacorp
04-19-2012, 3:58 PM
+100 for Tikka , be careful thou, you wont shoot any other bolt action after shooting Tikka:43:
what round are you looking for? I have Tkkas in 308 and 6.5X55SE, 6.5 is better all around round IMO

GSwain
04-19-2012, 4:04 PM
I have a t3 lite in 270 and I love it!

killshot44
04-19-2012, 5:16 PM
One thing to remember, the Tikka "Lite" model is very lightweight and a .308 round will punch a bit in that light frame.

The above recommendations of going with a 6.5x55, .270, .260 or .243 would make for more pleasurable shooting.

If you're only punching paper, a more bench-suitable gun might be in order rather than the lightweight T3 with its thin barrel.

Divernhunter
04-19-2012, 6:30 PM
The Tikka is great. Limbsaver make a direct replacement recoil pad for it and that is a help on recoil. The 308 is a great round. The 7mm-08 is also and kicks somewhat less. I have a Tikka in 7mm-08 and it will prove to be as good a hunting round as the 308. The plus for the 308 is mil surplus ammo. The 6.5X55 Tikka is great(I have one) but are no longer imported into the USA. Not sure why.
The T/C rifle is also very good and will shoot as well as the Tikka. It is slightly heavier so if doing allot of bench shooting would show slightly less recoil.

Whatever one or cartridge you choose buy a Leupold 3X9X40 or 3.5X10X40 Non-AO scope for it and you will have a set-up good for the rest of your life and your offsprings.

cwin
04-19-2012, 6:34 PM
I agree with the others. Go tikka.

Thefeeder
04-19-2012, 7:03 PM
Browning A-Bolt

Winchester Featherweight

Generic
04-19-2012, 8:34 PM
+100 for Tikka , be careful thou, you wont shoot any other bolt action after shooting Tikka:43:
what round are you looking for? I have Tkkas in 308 and 6.5X55SE, 6.5 is better all around round IMO
I'm thinking the .308 because of the availability and cost.

The Tikka is great. Limbsaver make a direct replacement recoil pad for it and that is a help on recoil. The 308 is a great round. The 7mm-08 is also and kicks somewhat less. I have a Tikka in 7mm-08 and it will prove to be as good a hunting round as the 308. The plus for the 308 is mil surplus ammo. The 6.5X55 Tikka is great(I have one) but are no longer imported into the USA. Not sure why.
The T/C rifle is also very good and will shoot as well as the Tikka. It is slightly heavier so if doing allot of bench shooting would show slightly less recoil.
Whatever one or cartridge you choose buy a Leupold 3X9X40 or 3.5X10X40 Non-AO scope for it and you will have a set-up good for the rest of your life and your offsprings.

Probably a dumb question but what is Non-AO?

Remus
04-19-2012, 9:51 PM
I'm thinking the .308 because of the availability and cost.

Probably a dumb question but what is Non-AO?

308 is a fine caliber selection. Just be certain to get a 22 bolt action for really cheap shooting ;)

Non-AO stands for non adjustable objective. Some scopes allow the objective to be adjusted for no parallax at varying yardages. A non-AO is fixed at 100 (?) yards. Regardless of what you purchase what serves you better in the long run during your target shooting is to focus on bringing the rifle to the same position on your cheek with your eye aligned in the same position every time. This will mitigate any parallax issues and make you a better shooter.

Army
04-20-2012, 8:38 AM
Of those two, the Tikka would be better. But if you want a great rifle instead, get a Savage :)

ubet
04-20-2012, 8:40 AM
308 is a fine caliber selection. Just be certain to get a 22 bolt action for really cheap shooting ;)

Non-AO stands for non adjustable objective. Some scopes allow the objective to be adjusted for no parallax at varying yardages. A non-AO is fixed at 100 (?) yards. Regardless of what you purchase what serves you better in the long run during your target shooting is to focus on bringing the rifle to the same position on your cheek with your eye aligned in the same position every time. This will mitigate any parallax issues and make you a better shooter.

It doesnt matter how well you can shoot, if you cant see it, you cant hit it.

Op, you want a parallax adjustment on your scope, but you want it on the bell housing, not on the objective. AO is where you turn the objective to adjust parallax, you dont want that.

RatedPG
04-20-2012, 9:22 AM
Of those two, the Tikka would be better. But if you want a great rifle instead, get a Savage :)

I would agree with Army.

I am in the same search right now, looking for a 308 for paper and possible hunting down the line. The best choices I found were Tikka T3, Savage 10 (can't decide which style yet though) or Rem 700.

Tikka is a great brand and I would suggest it to anyone, but damn... Savage rifles are top notch, without a doubt.

Generic
04-20-2012, 11:36 AM
Thanks for everyone's input. I put a Tikka T3 in jail today. :D

bombadillo
04-20-2012, 11:40 AM
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/78128/Savage+11+TH+XP+308+NIKON

Here is a great starter bolt .308 with Nikon optics pre mounted to boot.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/images/D11/78/78121.jpg

Only 445 or you can pay about $60 more and get the walnut version of the model 10. Both with Accutrigger.

DirtRacer151
04-20-2012, 11:51 AM
I have a nice T3 for sale here on calguns right now.

Generic
04-20-2012, 12:26 PM
Now time to pick an optic. What are the thoughts about Leupold VX-2 3-9x40? What is the input on reticle? Wide duplex? Regular?

Vacaville
04-20-2012, 1:04 PM
Tikka all the way if you've narrowed it down to those two. Otherwise I'd say a Weatherby Vanguard or Remington 700 SPS. Hope you considered those too.

bombadillo
04-20-2012, 2:26 PM
Check out some of the nikon options as well. They have some fantastic BDC reticles for the .308 for a great price.

atakacorp
04-20-2012, 2:53 PM

Man, you are right ,Savage is a great rifle ,I have FCP-K 300 winmag,love it ,but after I got Tikka Sporter in 6.5,FORGET ABOUT IT:43: it a completely different level
For a scope look at Leupold 3-9X42 or 4-10X42 great USA made scopes and excellent costumer service,get good rings too
Love my Tikka and she loves me back :)
http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt287/atakacorp/01_24_12/Huntingtrip019.jpg
4 rounds 100 yards
http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt287/atakacorp/IMG-20111218-00253.jpg

jtkkz
04-20-2012, 3:00 PM
after doing some research, i went with savage 11 .308 with scope for my first bolt rifle.

Army
04-20-2012, 3:05 PM
after doing some research, i went with savage 11 .308 with scope for my first bolt rifle.
...................i love you.

atakacorp
04-20-2012, 3:09 PM
Congrats,what caliber?

Generic
04-20-2012, 7:53 PM
Congrats,what caliber?

Thanks. .308.

Hamstur
04-20-2012, 10:25 PM
Now time to pick an optic. What are the thoughts about Leupold VX-2 3-9x40? What is the input on reticle? Wide duplex? Regular?

Let's talk budget? How much you willing to spend?

Also, what model Tikka did you get? Cause sounds like you also need to decide whether you want a picatinney scope base like EGW or use direct mount rings like Talley.

As ubet said above -- if you can't see it, you can't hit it. With no intent to throw out brand name, I shoot a S&B PMII 4-16 on my Tikka Scout (over 3x rifle value) because, well, Sako rifles are THAT capable of 800-1000 yard performance.

Since you said you intend to punch paper with it -- IMHO a $270 SWFA SS 10x42 will trump anything within the price range.

Remus
04-20-2012, 11:12 PM
It doesnt matter how well you can shoot, if you cant see it, you cant hit it.

Op, you want a parallax adjustment on your scope, but you want it on the bell housing, not on the objective. AO is where you turn the objective to adjust parallax, you dont want that.

Doesn't matter how well you can see it if you don't have the form to hit it. Generations of hunters have done just fine with non-ao scopes. That is because they practiced their form.

OP you did a good job choosing the Savage combo in 308. It will serve you well for many years.

Hamstur
04-20-2012, 11:36 PM
OP you did a good job choosing the Savage combo in 308. It will serve you well for many years.

You read the wrong post above -- OP (Generic) picked the superior Tikka T3! :43:

But really, j/k, both T3 and Savage are excellent choices & their manufacturing standards & consistency are putting the venerable Rem 700 to shame.

Generic
04-20-2012, 11:39 PM
Let's talk budget? How much you willing to spend?

Also, what model Tikka did you get? Cause sounds like you also need to decide whether you want a picatinney scope base like EGW or use direct mount rings like Talley.

As ubet said above -- if you can't see it, you can't hit it. With no intent to throw out brand name, I shoot a S&B PMII 4-16 on my Tikka Scout (over 3x rifle value) because, well, Sako rifles are THAT capable of 800-1000 yard performance.

Since you said you intend to punch paper with it -- IMHO a $270 SWFA SS 10x42 will trump anything within the price range.

Looking to spend up to around $400. I got the T3 lite in .308. Any thoughts on the Leupold VX-2 or VX-3? I've been pricing the VX-2 3-9x40mm, VX-2 4-12x50mm and VX-3 3.5-10X40mm.

Vacaville
04-20-2012, 11:44 PM
Look at the Nikon Monarch. It's got the optical quality of the Leupold VX-3 without the price. Should run around $400. Vortex Viper are pretty nice too.

Three44s
04-21-2012, 12:01 AM
My tastes run to the Savage rifles as well .............

So much flexibility for the price ....... build it the way you want, rebarrel it to any given number of calibers and never break a sweat!!

Make no mistake: I own a number of brands and cheerish them all with the Rem 700 and Browning A-Bolt in high esteem. However, when you count utility and flexibilty ........... Savage rules!!

Three 44s

ubet
04-21-2012, 12:13 AM
Doesn't matter how well you can see it if you don't have the form to hit it. Generations of hunters have done just fine with non-ao scopes. That is because they practiced their form.

Form and function go together. I have looked through a lot of scopes, and if you are shooting at any distance regularly you want to be able to adjust for parallax, not to mention that parallax is akin to looking through water, it can put a target in a different spot than it actually is, if its not adjusted right. Their is a reason you adjust for it, just like change in humidity, temp, dens alt, wind direction etc, because it all comes into affect.

If you are only shooting on the range at 100yds on sunny days it might not matter much. But when you are trying to locate an 8" steel plate at 800+yds yeah, it does EFFING matter!

Hamstur
04-21-2012, 1:14 AM
Looking to spend up to around $400. I got the T3 lite in .308. Any thoughts on the Leupold VX-2 or VX-3? I've been pricing the VX-2 3-9x40mm, VX-2 4-12x50mm and VX-3 3.5-10X40mm.

It's hard to recommend at the price point because each scope has strengths and weaknesses. Best bet is to look through each one and decide what stands out for you. Leupold would be in my top 3 hunting scopes in the $400 price range:

- Vortex Viper: warm-toned, relaxed color, good eye relief. Some find it too muted
- Bushnell Elite: good, bright image & resolution. Solid image field.
- Leupold: pretty balanced performance ... not great at anything, but good at everything. VX-3 is a very noticable step up from VX-2.

At the $500 price point, you get a helluva lot more out of a Zeiss Conquest 3-9. The German glass & eyebox are simply superior and it's just a more solid package.

At the $600 price point, I would look into a SWFA SS 3-9

straykiller
04-21-2012, 1:18 AM

Agreed savage all the way.

Remus
04-21-2012, 8:11 AM
If you are only shooting on the range at 100yds on sunny days it might not matter much. But when you are trying to locate an 8" steel plate at 800+yds yeah, it does EFFING matter!

I can agree with that particularly when using a high magnification scope but I believe we are envisioning a different rifle setup. For a first hunting/paper punching rifle I'd go with a standard hunting optic with a fixed magnificaion of 4x or variable between 2 - 7x with most shots occurring under 200 yards. At these ranges and magnification, you dont need to worry about focus only keeping the parallax under control.

EDIT: Well, you decided not go American like I did for my first deer/paper rifle, but I've heard those Finns have turned out a nice gun or two as well.