View Full Version : bullet button

04-19-2012, 1:19 PM
So Im new the all the california gun laws Im aware I need a bullet button and a 10 round mag. But I am just looking for some advice on where to get a bullet button for my bushmaster ar-15.

shy 7th
04-19-2012, 1:22 PM

edit: Lol, all of the product reviews are from CA buyers... makes sense, but still funny to see.

04-19-2012, 1:32 PM
If your rifle is of the XM variety it is banned in California. If it is, you either have it registered and don't need a bullet button, or you don't have it registered and have an illegal assault weapon and you need to destroy or sell the lower receiver out of state and replace it with an off list lower.

04-19-2012, 3:38 PM
It is an XM15ES sadly. so how do i go about registering it in california? the gun is in colorado now with my family. thanks for the help

shy 7th
04-19-2012, 4:42 PM
You don't.

The registration period closed a decade ago. It was only open so that people who already owned one in the state could be "grandfathered" in. You, however, a latecomer, would be guilty of importing an illegal assault weapon if you bring your bushmaster from CO.

What you can do, however, is go to your local FFL, buy a $65-$99 lower receiver, install your bullet button, and have your family ship your upper receiver, stock, grip, and the rest of your lower receiver parts to you here in CA. Just don't bring your XM15 lower reciever into CA.

Additionally, while your family is taking stuff apart... they can disassemble your 30 or 20 round magazines and you can import the parts to CA. Then buy some magazine blocks and epoxy here in CA and assemble your mags as 10 rounders. The common coloquialisms for these are 10/30s or 10/20s. But of course, every time you bastardize a perfectly functional 30 round mag, a kitten dies. Sometimes it's just easier to buy 10 rounders or pre-blocked mags.

04-19-2012, 4:46 PM
You can not register rifles anymore.
You can not bring that rifle into CA as is.

You have 3 options:
Leave it.
Sell it and Buy new.
Or buy a new lower receiver that is not banned by name (OLL Off List Lower) and build it with parts from the old rifle and leave the receiver in Colorado. (Plus add magazine lock and only use 10 round magazines)