PDA

View Full Version : Slings on AR's

Cucv
04-19-2012, 11:39 AM
is having a sling on your AR 24/7 worth it? like going to the range?

TreeHugger
04-19-2012, 11:43 AM
I have a Vickers VCAS on mine 24/7 (one of the best 2 point slings), once on, why bother taking it off.

t0kie
04-19-2012, 11:46 AM
To me it's worth it, and if you are taking a class you most likely will need it.

reidnez
04-19-2012, 11:50 AM
All depends on your intended use. If you're going to hunt and carry the thing all day, a sling is nice--go with an old-school two-point. If you're doing a carbine class (especially if any drills involve transitioning to a sidearm) then a sling is pretty much mandatory--go with a one-point or three-point, whatever your preference may be. If you're just going to the range, there's really no need and it will only get in your way, unless you like using a loop or hasty sling for support.

TNP'R
04-19-2012, 11:50 AM
To me its worth it when I take my dog out at 3am I like to have it slinged behind me. No I don't live in a very populated area. I'm in the country so never know what kinda critters are out there so I take it out just in case.

TreeHugger
04-19-2012, 12:04 PM
If you're doing a carbine class (especially if any drills involve transitioning to a sidearm) then a sling is pretty much mandatory--go with a one-point or three-point, whatever your preference may be.

With a 2 point sling, depends on where you mount it to, it can practically act as a 1 point also. I have the front mounted right in front of the receiver and the rear to the far back slot of a Magpul CTR and it can drop straight down like a 1 point. IMO, 3 point sux.

If you're just going to the range, there's really no need and it will only get in your way, unless you like using a loop or hasty sling for support.

You can utilize a strap to wrap it around your arm in-order to pull the rifle tight against your shoulder to aid in accuracy.

chead
04-19-2012, 12:07 PM
You can utilize a strap to wrap it around your arm in-order to pull the rifle tight against your should to aid in accuracy.

This.

chicoredneck
04-19-2012, 12:15 PM
If your just going to the range, no. If you use your rifle for anything other than range work, yes.

G60
04-19-2012, 12:38 PM
Get a VTAC, VCAS or sheriff of Baghdad 2 point. Even if you're never going to carry your rifle, a slings use as a marksmanship aid is well worth the money.

chicoredneck
04-19-2012, 1:05 PM
This poll is interesting because it is showing the demographics as it pertains to how posters use their rifles on this website.

dbo31
04-19-2012, 1:29 PM
Also if you go off to BLM land and have to hike a bit it comes in handy

Paper Boy
04-19-2012, 2:15 PM
I keep one in my range bag for BLM and one in my hunting bag for when I am hiking around. That way I never have to worry about remembering them and they dont get tangled up in my safe and pull another rifle out...

G60
04-19-2012, 2:16 PM
This poll is interesting because it is showing the demographics as it pertains to how posters use their rifles on this website.

Yup. Half of those polled don't really care about becoming adequate marksmen.

They need to give this a read:
http://artoftherifle.blogspot.com/2011/07/why-rifle.html