PDA

View Full Version : Can't ship trigger group to Cali?

oceanwest
04-25-2007, 6:04 PM
I wanted to order a trigger group for an HK91 from PTR91, but they said they would not ship it to California because the assembly contains a pistol grip. Is there actually a law against this or is PTR91 just panicked about the mess of laws here?

I'm trying to reduce the foreign parts count on my Reg'd AW so I can get rid of the thumbhole stock it came with, and the trigger group from PTR91 has 5 tasty all-American parts in it, so I'm trying to figure out how to get one.

So far the only thing I've come up with is going to a local FFL to se if they will order it for me from PTR. If I have to do this can any FFL do it or will they need to be an official AW repair facility?

The Soup Nazi
04-25-2007, 6:12 PM
Yeah, either they're so paranoid that they don't want to deal with us or it might be DOJ scare tactics. Pistol grips themselves aren't illegal, otherwise we'd have a crapload of ATF agents on everyone running fixed mag builds.

shonc99
04-25-2007, 8:23 PM
Last year I ordered two trigger asemblies from them and they shipped them no prob. Perhaps they've changed. You could order from www.robertrtg.com. He has tons of G3 parts and you can either buy the parts and assemble or buy complete.

SemiAutoSam
04-25-2007, 8:26 PM
YES go with Robert he has provided excellent service and 100% quality parts.

The Butt heads at DOJ wont intimidate him.

kantstudien
04-25-2007, 10:18 PM
Dude, you can't get a pistol grip, it would allow you to spray rounds indiscriminately from the hip without reloading!

oceanwest
04-26-2007, 8:27 AM
Yeah I let them know it was Reg'd, and offered to fax them a copy of my registration confirmation from the DOJ, but no good. I spoke with two different people over at PTR91 and they wanted no part of it. I got the impression they would have sent things like hammer or sear, it was the trigger assembly with oh so evil pistol grip that got them scared.

I have searched and have not been able to find another trigger assembly that is US made. If anyone has a source, especially one that is not the navy group and that is all metal and accepts standard HK91 furniture, please let me know...

oceanwest
04-26-2007, 8:38 AM
Dude, you can't get a pistol grip, it would allow you to spray rounds indiscriminately from the hip without reloading!

Oh come on, we all know without a pistol grip all those bad guys will be thwarted from spraying bullets everywhere by the poor ergonomics: "I was going to go insane and shoot indiscriminately but I might tweak my wrist so I'll go buy everyone a bunch of flowers instead."

oceanwest
04-26-2007, 6:36 PM
The trigger box is what is causing all the trouble, I think they will sell me the other stuff, do you know an alternate source for these?

I tried going to an FFL today about ordering the assembly and they didn't want to do it!!

Is what I'm trying to do all that out of the ordinary??

is there anything illegal about shipping a trigger group that includes a pistol grip into California? I just want to make sure I haven't missed something. If there is nothing wrong with it then I might just have the part shipped to a friend in Texas, they would then ship it to me, BUT, I want to make sure they or myself are not doing anything wrong first!!

SemiAutoSam
04-26-2007, 6:52 PM
YES, Try HKpro.com and or the HK Board thats off of Falfiles.com.

Most FFL's in PRC wouldn't know where to get such a part and are so whipped they wouldn't want to do it as they think it would be contributing to something illegal.

NO.

No there is nothing illegal about it just so your attempting to get semi auto lower trigger group.

The trigger box is what is causing all the trouble, I think they will sell me the other stuff, do you know an alternate source for these?

I tried going to an FFL today about ordering the assembly and they didn't want to do it!!

Is what I'm trying to do all that out of the ordinary??

is there anything illegal about shipping a trigger group that includes a pistol grip into California? I just want to make sure I haven't missed something. If there is nothing wrong with it then I might just have the part shipped to a friend in Texas, they would then ship it to me, BUT, I want to make sure they or myself are not doing anything wrong first!!

oceanwest
04-27-2007, 9:05 AM
There is nothing illegal about "importing" parts to this state. PTR is just being paranoid, just like a number of other companies when it comes to Ca. If going through a friend in Tx will work then do it.

Don't mistake the trigger box for the lower. PTR makes a aluminum box. You are better off keeping your metal lower. If you look in your parts diagram that came with the SAR-8, part no. 8 is the trigger housing, part no. 36 what we call the lower is called "pistol grip", the plastic grip that slides on the metal lower is simply called "grip".

You are right I didn't realize there was a trigger box that is separate from the lower. So PTR makes an aluminum box I can install in the rest of the lower?!

Is this aluminum box part of the list of 20(17 on HK91) that are counted?

I would much rather keep my metal lower! Thanks for clearing that up. I don't see the parts on line, so I guess I'll give them another call.