PDA

View Full Version : I couldn't decide on my first AR-15 so I bought ...

INFAMOUS762X39
04-19-2012, 2:18 AM
...a Springfield M1A .308 Loaded SS Walnut Stock instead!

Any tips/advice/upgrades recommendation is greatly appreciated. What M1A/M14 Scope mount is the best value/most rugged?

Future Upgrades I am already looking at:
-DWP Recoil Spring Buffer
-Sadlak Spring Guide
-Sadlak Gas Piston = Tin Coated/grooved/polished etc.
-Scope Mount = ?. Smith maybe?
-Scope = Trijicon AccuPoint 5-20x50 Is my #1 Pick so far. Any input is appreciated

Buying Experience:
I was going to buy the M1A Loaded Syn ODgreen or a Colt M4 6920 at Turners Reseda last week, but the wait was as if I was in line at Disneyland. Way too long and very few employees, when I tried sneak in a question to a clerk about pricing "He was not busy just moving scopes around when the store was busy." He was all bitter, brief and had no enthusiasm to help anyone.

I wanted to support my local gun store but it's fine. I took my hard earn American dollars, went to buds, called to check their inventory, did a couple of clicks here and there, a few days later my rifle is in the mail with a tracking #. I am transfering her to my Local FFL right across from my work. I am super stoked and can't wait!

SmokingSam
04-19-2012, 2:22 AM
Congrats...we can't wait either for pix!!!! I am also looking into the CMP M1 in 308!

strongpoint
04-19-2012, 5:57 AM
congrats -- M1As are great rifles.

as for scope mounts, you're on the right track with smith and sadlak. but people who own bassett (http://www.bassettmachine.com) mounts (like me) love them, and i've heard good things about the fourth-generation springfield (http://www.springfield-armory.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=22_32&products_id=584) mounts -- but lots of complaints about earlier models. ARMS (http://www.armsmounts.com/default.asp?mode=products&sub=mounts&id=[hsh]18) also makes a mount that some prefer. i get the feeling that those are your market leaders, since i've never heard anyone recommend a brand that wasn't one of those five.

as far as other upgrades and accessories go, the sadlak tactical magazine release latch and the smith extended bolt stop/release are significant ergonomic improvements -- mandatory equipment, IMHO. i recommend sadlak's maintenance tools and reinforced sling mounts (for bipod use) as well. both companies make quality products and have great reputations, and i have nothing but praise for sadlak's phone customer-service staff.

shooperman
04-19-2012, 5:59 AM
Very nice. Go big or go home huh? Make sure to post some pics.

INFAMOUS762X39
04-19-2012, 12:27 PM
congrats -- M1As are great rifles.

as for scope mounts, you're on the right track with smith and sadlak. but people who own bassett (http://www.bassettmachine.com) mounts (like me) love them, and i've heard good things about the fourth-generation springfield (http://www.springfield-armory.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=22_32&products_id=584) mounts -- but lots of complaints about earlier models. ARMS (http://www.armsmounts.com/default.asp?mode=products&sub=mounts&id=[hsh]18) also makes a mount that some prefer. i get the feeling that those are your market leaders, since i've never heard anyone recommend a brand that wasn't one of those five.

as far as other upgrades and accessories go, the sadlak tactical magazine release latch and the smith extended bolt stop/release are significant ergonomic improvements -- mandatory equipment, IMHO. i recommend sadlak's maintenance tools and reinforced sling mounts (for bipod use) as well. both companies make quality products and have great reputations, and i have nothing but praise for sadlak's phone customer-service staff.

I will definately take your advice, I must do more homeowork.

Very nice. Go big or go home huh? Make sure to post some pics.

"Don't you like yourself?" this is the question I ask myself all the time.
What Made me choose this over an AR/M4 is 1) I can have detachable magazine! NO BB yay! 2)Gas Piston Operation 3)Too many AR/M4 to choose from I couldn't decide. It's fine for now my best friends have a LWRCm6a2, and a LMT AR-10 16" which I can shoot anytime.

Let's just say I bought my first firearm September 11, 2011. Now roughly 7 months later I now own 4 guns. I damn near shoot every weekend since then.

t0kie
04-19-2012, 12:41 PM
Nice, for scope go with a Leupy MK4 3.5-10X40.

Standard
04-19-2012, 12:46 PM
Good choice

INFAMOUS762X39
04-19-2012, 12:52 PM
Nice, for scope go with a Leupy MK4 3.5-10X40.

I already knew I wanted Leupold, just did not know what to lean towards. This Scope looks very promising, I am definately putting her on my list.

russ69
04-19-2012, 1:18 PM
I'm old school, the M1A is best with it's iron sights. I'm not a fan of scoping the M1A. The first thing to do is put a few rounds through it for function check, test all your magazines. Then work up a good handload for the Sierra 168 grain match bullet. Shoot it and enjoy.

Bhobbs
04-19-2012, 2:00 PM
I already knew I wanted Leupold, just did not know what to lean towards. This Scope looks very promising, I am definately putting her on my list.

From what I have read it seems that Leupold's quality isn't what it used to be and that there are scopes in the same price range that offer more features and clearer glass. I would check out some other brands before you decide.

gorenut
04-19-2012, 3:36 PM
From what I have read it seems that Leupold's quality isn't what it used to be and that there are scopes in the same price range that offer more features and clearer glass. I would check out some other brands before you decide.

I've heard this as well.. but moreso Leupy's quality is still top-notch.. just that other companies have caught up and offer better for the same price.

Their customer service is still unmatched though (except maybe by Vortex).

All this talk lately about M1As in this forum.. makes me really want one.

yellowfin
04-19-2012, 5:58 PM
Best "upgrade" to suggest is spend messloads of time shooting your .22 of similar configuration so that those .308 rounds aren't wasted.

Pryde
04-19-2012, 6:44 PM
Scoping an M1A is a frustrating and expensive experience and you will not really get your money's worth, accuracy or comfort-wise.

Shoot it with iron sights, that's how they were meant to be. You will be much happier with that setup.

weber_2
04-19-2012, 6:56 PM
Welcome to the M1A club I recently joined after getting my Socom II

INFAMOUS762X39
04-19-2012, 6:59 PM
Best "upgrade" to suggest is spend messloads of time shooting your .22 of similar configuration so that those .308 rounds aren't wasted.

I am currently looking at a Marlin 795. My friends have the Model 60 and they are all such a joy to shoot. I wouldn't buy anything from Ruger.

Scoping an M1A is a frustrating and expensive experience and you will not really get your money's worth, accuracy or comfort-wise.

Shoot it with iron sights, that's how they were meant to be. You will be much happier with that setup. For now my Nation Match Iron Sights, is plentiful. I am going to break her in first and see what route is best for me and my wallet.

Welcome to the M1A club I recently joined after getting my Socom II
Thanks! Socom II is such an awesome package. That was my 2nd choice.

weber_2
04-19-2012, 7:23 PM
^My next gun will probably be a full size M1A.
If you scope it get the SA mount and a good glass. Check out the M1A pic gallery for good ideas, there are some nice set ups there.