PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun limit?

tonb
04-25-2007, 4:00 PM
Why is it that shotguns are limited to three shots but other firearms are not?

Brass Balls
04-25-2007, 4:02 PM
Shotguns aren't limited to three shots. However if you are hunting with the shotgun it is.

Here's my home defense shotgun. It holds 8+1.

http://home.comcast.net/~1911brass/HD_Shotgun.jpg

tonb
04-25-2007, 4:06 PM
Shotguns aren't limited to three shots. However if you are hunting with the shotgun it is.

Here's my home defense shotgun. It holds 8+1.

http://home.comcast.net/~1911brass/HD_Shotgun.jpg

Well I meant for hunting :) I have a 7+1 myself for HD, but if I was to throw some rifled slugs in a bag I'd have to plug the mag down to 2 before I could use it.

I just don't get that logic. I can have a semi-auto rifle with a 10rnd mag... but no a shotgun with 8?

Brass Balls
04-25-2007, 4:55 PM
Well you can't hunt ducks with a rifle either. It isn't uncommon for states to have capacity limits for rifles for big game hunting either. That's the reason for 5 round M1A mags and M1 Garand clips.

Brass Balls
04-25-2007, 5:04 PM
Sorry I didn't initially recognize that this is the hunting forum. I saw it in the list of new posts.

Hunter
04-25-2007, 5:24 PM
The 3 shot limit is actually a federal limit set for taking migratory birds (waterfowl / doves) that was a result for curtailing market hunting practices. However, a lot of states (including CA) apply the restriction to ALL bird hunting. In addition, in CA they apply it to ALL resident small game hunting (rabbits, squirrels, ect) as well. Basically if you are in the field hunting anything other than non-game species, it needs to be 3 shots.

The general law states:

2010. It is unlawful to use or possess a shotgun larger than
10-gauge, or to use or possess a shotgun capable of holding more than
six cartridges at one time to take any mammal or bird. However, the
commission may, after public hearing, adopt regulations relative to
the ammunition capacity of shotguns for taking mammals or birds that
are further restrictive or that it determines may be needed to
conform to federal law. Shotguns that have been modified with the
insertion of a plug are deemed, for the purpose of this section, to
have a cartridge capacity equal to the number of cartridges that can
be loaded into the weapon as modified.

But then you will find additional FG codes dealing with "Method of Take" that will limit it to the 3 rounds for all small game and migratory birds in this state.

thefinger
04-25-2007, 6:30 PM
Do they make simple devices for plugging a shotgun tube so that it only holds 3 slugs? Say I have a 870 with an 8 round tube, can I buy something to plug it down so only 3 rounds fit in the tube?

Fjold
04-25-2007, 6:46 PM
Do they make simple devices for plugging a shotgun tube so that it only holds 3 slugs? Say I have a 870 with an 8 round tube, can I buy something to plug it down so only 3 rounds fit in the tube?

yes, a pencil. They actually make plastic plugs but we just used to use a 3/8" wooden dowel.

Hunter
04-25-2007, 8:33 PM

Becareful here. The three round count means two (2) in the magazine and one in the chamber. Anymore than 2 in the mag while hunting birds/small game/big game animals is a violation. Just as only 5 in the magazine when after non game mammals

Whitesmoke
04-25-2007, 11:26 PM
Basically if you are in the field hunting anything other than non-game species, it needs to be 3 shots.

Thats not always true though...you could still hunt pig, etc with a shotgun that holds 5+1, etc. But your right about the birds and small game...

anotherone
04-25-2007, 11:42 PM
Thats not always true though...you could still hunt pig, etc with a shotgun that holds 5+1, etc. But your right about the birds and small game...

WRONG!

When hunting Pigs and Deer the limit is also 3 shots. Furthermore the use of buckshot is only permitted in special zones where slugs are not permitted. Personally I love hunting pigs with slugs and in many NWR areas slug guns are required now. Don't blow your cash on a rifled slug barrel and sabots, just mount a 1.75-4x32 scope on your shotgun and use Federal Tru-Ball slugs; I've killed pigs at 60+ yards using Federal Tru-Ball slugs they rock!

Whitesmoke
04-25-2007, 11:47 PM
WRONG!

When hunting Pigs and Deer the limit is also 3 shots. Furthermore the use of buckshot is only permitted in special zones where slugs are not permitted. Personally I love hunting pigs with slugs and in many NWR areas slug guns are required now. Don't blow your cash on a rifled slug barrel and sabots, just mount a 1.75-4x32 scope on your shotgun and use Federal Tru-Ball slugs; I've killed pigs at 60+ yards using Federal Tru-Ball slugs they rock!

My mistake...I checked and your right, it's a 3 rd slug limit.