PDA

View Full Version : First AR...Help! Suggestions and advice.

RaiderMike619
04-18-2012, 5:46 PM
I'm looking to buy my first AR. I seriously doubt that I will build one, so lets move on. Im looking to spend between 800 to 1200, the cheaper the better, but want something solid. I will just be using this for personal use. I know that I want a quad rail so that I can add stuff, and I would like a collapsable stock that is tight with no play. So far I've really been thinking about the Stag Arms Model 2t, but I'm also open to suggestions. Please let me know your take on this, I live in San Diego, so if you know any place close buy that has great prices...I'm all ears! Thank you kindly friends. :)

Arkangel
04-18-2012, 5:51 PM
Parallax Tactical is a great resource for information. With a $1200 budget, you should be able to get a very decent rifle.

prerunners4life
04-18-2012, 5:54 PM
I just built a AR with a stag model 1 upper and that upper is great, I'm pretty sure the complete model 1 is under $1k

RaiderMike619
04-18-2012, 6:00 PM
I just built a AR with a stag model 1 upper and that upper is great, I'm pretty sure the complete model 1 is under $1k

Prerunners4life, saw that rifle for 929.00, but has no quad rail, that would be no fun for me if I wanted to add sights and lights.

http://www.riflegear.com/p-840-stag-arms-model-1-rifle.aspx

nitroxdiver
04-18-2012, 6:06 PM
Since you want a rail, I would suggest saving up a few more bucks and going with
A Colt SP6940CA. http://www.riflegear.com/p-1316-colt-sp6940ca-monolithic-upper-carbine-rifle.aspx

If you decide you can go sans rail, I'd suggest a Colt SP6920CA.

In a couple years after shooting it and learning more about AR's, you'll thank me ;-)

nitroxdiver
04-18-2012, 6:06 PM
Since you want a rail, I would suggest saving up a few more bucks and going with
A Colt SP6940CA. http://www.riflegear.com/p-1316-colt-sp6940ca-monolithic-upper-carbine-rifle.aspx

If you decide you can go sans rail, I'd suggest a Colt SP6920CA.

In a couple years after shooting it and learning more about AR's, you'll thank me ;-)

reidnez
04-18-2012, 7:28 PM
Sights don't go on the rail, unless you're talking about a laser.

Think about whether you really need a quad rail. I had one on my carbine for some time, deleted it in favor of a Magpul forend, and never looked back. They are heavy, awkward and for most people unnecessary. If you're just going to put a light on it, there are other ways of mounting them. I can't see any real benefit for a laser, vs. a nice red-dot. As for vert. grips, personally I shoot better without one. I wrap my hand around the magazine well instead; that's where the balance point of the weapon is centered, anyway, unless you bolt a bunch of crap onto the forend. Less is more. A <7lb carbine is a beautiful thing. A 10lb carbine is stupid. Every ounce that makes it onto a weapon (or onto any gear, really) needs to earn its keep. Just my 2 cents.

ptgarcia
04-18-2012, 8:03 PM
Just this week I built my first AR with a Stag 2H upper on a Palmetto lower for just over $800. My build included a RRA LPK, RaddLock, M4 stock and MOE hand guard. kind of a budget build but using quality parts.

ExtremeX
04-18-2012, 8:28 PM
My first AR was a Stag Arms Model 2T, its still serving me well and I havent had any issues with it.

Sounds like you are going to end up adding some stuff after buying it, solid stock, I would start at the Magpul CTR and move your way up depending on what you like. Keep in mind you will exceed the $1200 budget pretty fast if you start changing things.

Quadrail is nice, but honestly, when I first got it I went a bit ninja and attached a bunch of crap to it I didn't need... The only thing that sits on my rail now is a vertical grip and rail covers, and I could probably live without the vertical grip too since I hold it towards the magwell.

If you are not going to build, shop around as much as you can, look at various brands, check out stores like Parallax. You should try to get something as close to what you want from the get-go because I ended up changing a bunch of stuff after getting my Stag.... Stock, grip, muzzle brake, trigger, BB, and added some optics. There were some other brand rifles which were closer to what I wanted from to get-go, but I should have went straight into a place like RifleGear or Parallax and had them build me what I wanted to start with.

There is money to be saved if you just decide to build the lower yourself, and buy a complete upper.

nitroxdiver
04-18-2012, 9:03 PM
Here's the SP6920CA (no rail). In stock and within your budget. http://www.riflegear.com/p-1317-colt-sp6920ca-carbine-rifle.aspx