PDA

View Full Version : Whats best ammo for ruger 10/22? I am experiencing jamming

ThiZZ
04-18-2012, 6:06 PM
So I was shooting my new ruger 10/22 rifle today. It is black, synthetic stock, fiber optic sights... anyways...

I was using Federal Auto Match Target Grade ammunition and the gun just didnt like it one bit. It wouldnt eject fully after firing..

What do you guys recommend?

CCI?

Blazer?

shadow65
04-18-2012, 6:11 PM
If you are plinking, I recommend a copper wash such as Winchester 555 bulk sold at Walmart or for better accuracy, CCI Mini Mags.
Wolf MT is good for precision but will leave more residue and gum up quicker.
Dave N

Izzy43
04-18-2012, 6:16 PM
So I was shooting my new ruger 10/22 rifle today. It is black, synthetic stock, fiber optic sights... anyways...

I was using Federal Auto Match Target Grade ammunition and the gun just didnt like it one bit. It wouldnt eject fully after firing..

CCI?

Blazer?

Try CCI Mini-Mags they seem to shoot well in the 10/22. Also this may just be a break in issue with a new gun. Shoot it for a while and then go back to the Auto Match ammo. I use it extensively for plinking without issue. I feel its better than most other bulk ammo. Just my opinion, others may disagree.

Did you clean the action good before shootin? Could be a lot of factory gummy grease there.

ojisan
04-18-2012, 6:33 PM
Crinkle finish matt paint or smooth semi-gloss?

G-forceJunkie
04-18-2012, 6:34 PM
I would also recommend a volquartsen extractor. Pretty much any 10/22 I've seen leave empty shells in the action, its solved with a better extractor.

ThiZZ
04-18-2012, 6:51 PM
Try CCI Mini-Mags they seem to shoot well in the 10/22. Also this may just be a break in issue with a new gun. Shoot it for a while and then go back to the Auto Match ammo. I use it extensively for plinking without issue. I feel its better than most other bulk ammo. Just my opinion, others may disagree.

Did you clean the action good before shootin? Could be a lot of factory gummy grease there.

i cleaned before shooting. ill try the CCI mini mags and see how they do

*Fisherman
04-18-2012, 6:55 PM
I second the Volqartsen extractor. Both of mine prefer the CCI mini mag 40gr round nose.

Eljay
04-18-2012, 7:37 PM
The mini mags may very well get you over the hump until it breaks in a bit, but I've also found that they like to be run pretty wet - add a couple of drops of extra lube to the bolt and rack it a few times and see if that helps with the lower power ammo. The extractor definitely can't hurt and they're pretty cheap but I'd say that's probably more of a secondary issue.

smattenson
04-18-2012, 8:48 PM
I really didn't have any issues with my 10/22 from the start of using it but like the others I will also state that if you have not cleaned and lubed it to do so. So far all I've used in mine has been the Winchester 555 bulk pack and mine seems to really like it. I changed out my extractor to the volquartson one as well, and for how cheap it is I would do it to any 10/22 I buy in the future. I have not tried the box of fed auto match I have yet so I can't tell you if its just your 10/22 with the issues there.

Lmartinez91
04-18-2012, 9:37 PM
Bulk I use Winchester bulk and the federal as well I stay away from the remmington lol
And the cci are really good and accurate too

BraveUlysses
04-18-2012, 9:39 PM
GF has a couple of 10/22s.
She has issues with the Winchester 555
Significantly less issues with CCI mini-mags
Best for accuracy with no jamming or reliability issues at all have been Federal Gold Medal Match HV (High Velocity)

Bassplunker
04-19-2012, 12:48 AM
Pretty much any 10/22 I've seen leave empty shells in the action, its solved with a better extractor.

Really? I've had mine since 1976 and have never had a shell not eject after firing. I've had a Mag not feed smoothly thru a 25 rd. Eaton Mag. I tired once, but I've used a Butler Creek 25 rd. for a long time and it never happens. The stock 10 round has never given me problems either.

erik_26
04-19-2012, 1:42 AM
The 10/22 should eat most anything.

With that said, the 10/22 will let you know when it wants to be cleaned. And it sounds like that is what it is saying. Before giving up on the ammo, break down, clean and lube it.

You should be good to go.

CCI works well, the Federal Bulk pack, Winchester Bulk pack as well as my favorite the Winchester M-22.

Have fun.

orthopod
04-19-2012, 1:48 AM
When I got mine I dropped a little clp on the bolt and went straight to the range. Shot a few hundred rounds of cci mini mag 40g round nose and 36g hollow point with Zero issues. This weekend when I go again I'm going to shoot cci blazer round nose and Winchester 555 white box hollow point bulk from Wally world. Will see how it goes.

jonnyammo
04-21-2012, 2:11 PM
Someone pointed this out (I think a month ago?) on here and I thought I'd give it a shout: http://www.ammoforsale.com/best-ammo/ammo-ruger-1022.

Let me know what the rest of you guys think of it; so far, it's been a great reference for me.

Hecktic
04-21-2012, 5:21 PM
I have gone through about 2k rounds of CCI blazer without a single problem on my 10/22.

Excaliburr
04-21-2012, 5:38 PM
Blazer and CCI mini mags for sure! Could be a break in problem according to a previous poster. What does that mean? Answer: Field strip the gun and clean entirely. Remove the bolt and inspect for smoothness on the parts that rub each other. The break in is just really the wearing in of these surfaces. For a smoother action, some of us choose to polish these areas as well as the hammer and trigger sear. This makes everything operate more freely/smoothly. Some of us do others mods as well, like the auto bolt, lighten the trigger pull etc. Rimfirecentral.com is a good source!

morthrane
04-21-2012, 7:27 PM
My 10/22 (some older used POS I got a decade back) was doing fine with copper jacketed and lead nose winchester ammo that was 40 years old, not a single malfunction.

When the 40 year old ammo ran out, I found my 10/22 really doesn't like Federal "Champion" lead nose 40gr bullets. Old 10 rnd mags and new 10 rnd mags, cleaned or dirty, I was getting a FTE around 1-2 out of every 10. Even a complete stripdown of every internal (trigger group, extractor, etc.) didn't fix the problem for me.

I got some CCI blazer and mini-mags to see how they'll work. Guess that's just par for the rimfire course-- no telling what a given unique example will like or hate until you try it.

SA227driver
04-21-2012, 7:32 PM
Remington is by far the most consistent through my 10/22. I've never had an issue with their hotter stuff. Winchester I also had FTE and FTF's. I always grab the 550 bricks.

ejhc11
04-21-2012, 11:04 PM
Yes, change out the stock extractor like everyone says. My Ruger seems to eat everything I feed it - Federal, Remington, Winchester, Blazer bulk.... And, CCIs of course. Shouldn't be too finicky.

ljgrasso
04-22-2012, 12:50 AM
1,000 rounds of CCI Blazer Ammo 22LR 40gr Lead Round Nose through my TD without an issue.

TZL
04-22-2012, 11:53 AM
Lube, then wipe off your 10/22, runs best dry and clean

Cactus_Tim
04-22-2012, 3:24 PM
I just bought a volquartsen extractor to eliminate that problem.
Haven't installed it yet.
But hoping it will take care of the occasional problem I have with Federal bulk ammo.

kdsd731
04-22-2012, 3:28 PM
Mine shoots just about anything trouble free but CCI Mini Mags are noticeably more accurate in mine.

ExtremeX
04-22-2012, 3:29 PM
My 10/22 carbine is 100% stock and it seems really like Federal bulk packs and CCI Blazers. I have not had issues of any type with feeding or extraction.

JNunez23
04-22-2012, 7:53 PM
Just bought the PC extractor, we'll see if it makes a difference with mine.

Mail Clerk
04-22-2012, 7:58 PM

CCI?

Blazer?

ThiZZ,

For plinking I usually just shoot CCI "Blazer" ammo as it gives me much more reliable ignition compared to others.

If I were you don't shoot those Federal Auto Match as I think their designed for target pistols like CCI "Green Tag".

Make sure you use a brand that is considered to be high velocity in nature.

Mail Clerk:oji:

Agent 0range
04-22-2012, 10:36 PM
Blazer for me. Haven't had a problem yet, so why change now? If only Turners would get it back in stock; I'm down to about 1000 rounds and need to stock back up!

rogervzv
04-23-2012, 1:11 AM
I have 4 10/22s, two are 1990 vintage, two are 2011 & 2012 vintage. None of the four rifles have any modifications excepting for the sights. None of the four have ever jammed one single time. I fire mostly Federal Bulk 525 and various Winchester copper rounds through them. No lead. (Don't like lead rounds.) In my experience a stock 10/22 if kept reasonably cleaned and lubed is about as reliable a firearm as you could ask for. I disagree that there are any issues with the stock extractor. In my experience the stock extractors work first time every time.

I do clean and lube my rifles after every single outing, which may be why these rifles never jam. Nothing real elaborate, just a brush and patches down the barrel and CLP and a wipedown on the action and trigger assembly. Keeps 'em going nicely.

Greg90731
04-23-2012, 4:23 PM
Mine loves most everything but is not as reliable with the remington stuff. I will cycle but I will have to discard a few here and there and some of them never go off at all in either .22lr I own. I get great results with CCI Blazers for a very good price. I find them to be very consistent. Otherwise, Mini-mags, stingers, velocitors are all good but a bit more pricey. Outside the struggle with Rem, everything seems to go through very well...

gunn
04-25-2012, 12:51 PM
Before throwing cash at the problem with buying a VQ extractor, you can also try tuning it yourself.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251080

I did all this stuff before spending money on aftermarket parts.
http://suburbansdomain.blogspot.com/2009/10/ruger-1022-tuning-and-mods.html

My 10/22 shoots anything now but I notice it's least happy with Remington golden bullets.
No problems with Federal automatch or bulk 555.

-g