PDA

View Full Version : cleaning a BCG, in a SS tumbler?

slo5oh
04-18-2012, 2:55 PM
I have a BCG that has seen many years of faithful service and I have been considering replacing it. I was cleaning the bolt lastnight when my empty tumbler caught my eye. It occurred to me that if SS tumbling doesnt damage brass it wont harm steel. About an hour tumbling and the bolt looks nearly good as new. So im considering cleanibg the rest of the BCG this way.
Any reason I should not?

gun toting monkeyboy
04-18-2012, 5:22 PM
No, not really. It shouldn't hurt anything. The only thing that I would watch would be the screws holding the key in if they have not been staked. They might work loose. I doubt it, but that is all that I can think of that could happen to it.

-Mb

slo5oh
04-18-2012, 8:10 PM
I just need to find a single 4.5" to 5" wide tube ~10" to 12" long that I can make water tight...
May be looking at PVC if I can't find something else that will work.

shadowofnight
04-18-2012, 8:39 PM
Should be fine, but I wouldnt want any vibrating SS anywhere near where the gas ring makes contact.

gemini1
04-18-2012, 9:07 PM
By SS, do you mean those stainless steel pellets? wouldn't that remove the blueing or whatever it was that was applied to the steel to prevent rust?

robert101
04-19-2012, 10:30 AM
I would not think SS media is a good thing on a BCG. The media seems to hard compared to a brass brush for the carbon caked stuff. Other than a few areas, my BCG is cleaned with Hopps or transmission oil and some elbow grease.

deter
04-19-2012, 10:39 AM
I would not think SS media is a good thing on a BCG. The media seems to hard compared to a brass brush for the carbon caked stuff. Other than a few areas, my BCG is cleaned with Hopps or transmission oil and some elbow grease.

Do you know where I can get some elbow grease? I've also heard headlight fluid works as a light lubricant as well.

TNP'R
04-19-2012, 10:44 AM
Do you know where I can get some elbow grease? I've also heard headlight fluid works as a light lubricant as well.

Lol you serious about elbow grease? lol

sharxbyte
04-19-2012, 8:46 PM
I just ran out today or I'd offer to loan you some... ;)

killshot44
04-20-2012, 10:46 AM
Those stainless steel pins are far softer than any metal in the BCG. In fact, the carrier should fit fine in a Model B Thumlers.

I've cleaned AR bolts, crusty tools, rusted hinges, even a bracelet in my rotary tumbler with SS media. No problems.

POLICESTATE
04-20-2012, 10:49 AM
If you are planning on replacing I'd give it a shot and see what happens.

robert101
04-20-2012, 10:49 AM
Yea, the older I get the less elbow grease I can muster. Sorry, but I can't share.