PDA

View Full Version : Ak mag wobble can cause irregular operation

xiongxtreme2382
04-18-2012, 6:40 AM
Been having this issue sometime now. Looking at my past posting and videos, I have finally found the problem. But I cannot believe that a little mag wobble can cause irregular operation. What I mean is that my ak will jam up due to my last round fired not to eject. Some say that it was the ejector, so I weld extension and file down to see if this was the cause. What happen is that the longer the extension the slower the round spin out when ejected. So I was having same issue and that did not fix problem. I finally thought that it was maybe mag wobble that most ak have that cause ak to jammed. I did not think of this because my ak have a little wobble side to side. There is about a 0.001" play. Not that much but in my case enough to cause gun not to eject. How I figure it out, when I cycle my rifle manually I need to push mag to the right to cycle correctly, not to much or the bolt will catch onto mag. So what I will do is shim the inner wall(right side of rifle) to have a tighter fit to the mag. This will fix all the headaches.

PEZHEAD265
04-18-2012, 6:56 AM
What kind of AK?I it a WASR???

xiongxtreme2382
04-18-2012, 7:00 AM
No a gp1975 from century. Guess the dimple on the receiver is not tight enough

dbo31
04-18-2012, 7:14 AM
Is it with all mags? I've had some mag wobble with bulgarian mags in the past..not enough to get any FTF or FTE's but i've tried Palm mags and the bakelite mags and no wobble at all

Mr. Gillious
04-18-2012, 7:33 AM
oh great, i have a gp 1975 in jail right now

Speedpower
04-18-2012, 8:36 AM
Did you try a different magazine? it Could be the mag itself, I have seen WASR with tons of wobble with the Magazine inserted and it cycles without a single problem!

dougolupski
04-18-2012, 8:52 AM
I have had this issue on my cia wasr. The polymer tapco mags fit super tight nd fed great. I picked up a converted 30 round mag to ten from solar tactical and had nothing but problems with ejection and failure to go into battery. I found the lips and the guide were way off spec and were causing the rounds to twist into the center as opposed to stay in on one side. The bolt would then hang up on the rim of the case not allowing the bolt to cycle.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

zfields
04-18-2012, 9:00 AM
No a gp1975 from century. Guess the dimple on the receiver is not tight enough

Dimple isn't there to hold the mag tight, just an FYI.

CSACANNONEER
04-18-2012, 9:02 AM
0.001" of mag wobble won't cause what you're decsribing. I would try a few different mags.

gpatton1954
04-18-2012, 9:41 AM
I second the thought of .001 wobble not causing the problem. That amounts to
.0005 side to side. Really do not think that tolerances are that tight.Also, that is some gift you have to be able to feel .001 wobble.

Speedpower
04-18-2012, 9:54 AM
I have seen up to 1mm side to side wobble and the AK still feeds without a hiccup!

NorCalK9.com
04-18-2012, 10:35 AM
Bud its the mag or mags!
I have 2 rite now that I have atleast a 1/4 in or more of left to rite play, and no issues feeding at all.
Try some different mags and see if it changes.
And I lmao everytime someone mentions dimples.

xiongxtreme2382
04-18-2012, 12:57 PM
I have Chinese mags and all of it has same issues. I will try polymer because it will fit tighter.

Chaos47
04-18-2012, 1:44 PM
1 more vote for that it is the magazines. You should have started there before modifiying the rifle imo

chead
04-18-2012, 2:07 PM
Oh man, mags are the FIRST thing to try on an AK that's not feeding right. Get a polymer mag (Tapco or Bulgarian) and give it a try. Hopefully you didn't wreck the extractor :(

CSACANNONEER
04-18-2012, 3:48 PM
I have Chinese mags and all of it has same issues. I will try polymer because it will fit tighter.

AKs are made with LOOSE tolerances. Guess what, tight mags are a PITA and don't help the gun function at all. Just get some other mags to try and stop worrying about the internet "mag wobble" crap. The gun is probably just fine.

NorCalK9.com
04-18-2012, 4:50 PM
+1 ^^^^

WASR
04-18-2012, 11:11 PM
Trying a different magazin would not hurt at all. From experience; the Tapco Mags fit nice an tight. Have not had problem with them, and I think they are nice quality. You can get the original 10 rounders (http://wasr-10.com/TapcoIntrafuse) or buy a 30 rounder (http://wasr-10.com/TapcoINTRAFUSE30RoundMag) as a rebuild kits and put blocks in. These things will fit so tight you might have to sand them down.:-). Not that a little wobble ever hurt anybody... If you need to push the magazine to one side to get it to cycle there is definitively something else going on...

Otherwise maybe try a different bolt (like borrow someone else's when you go to the range next time) and see if that fixes the issue...

tujungatoes
04-18-2012, 11:32 PM
:facepalm: Swapping bolts at random may cause other problems...like the rifle blowing up in your face.

arsilva32
04-19-2012, 1:15 AM
:facepalm: Swapping bolts at random may cause other problems...like the rifle blowing up in your face.

right you can run into headspacing issues by randomly switching bolts.

i can say that on a build i did i dremeld to much metal off the mag stabilizer under the rails and had feeding issues.i had to remove and tack weld new rails in to fix the problem.

CSACANNONEER
04-19-2012, 7:00 AM
i can say that on a build i did i dremeld to much metal off the mag stabilizer under the rails and had feeding issues.i had to remove and tack weld new rails in to fix the problem.

It really would not have been a problem. You can grind off the lower rail and the gun should still feed reliably.

ZX-10R
04-19-2012, 12:02 PM
I have one steel mag that caused FTEs last weekend. Tried other mags steel and plastic and it was only this one...

I threw it away. I prefer US Palm or Tapco.

NorCalK9.com
04-19-2012, 1:00 PM
You can cut the so called stabiliser rails all the way to nothing and it aint gonna matter!
Dont believe me? I have a bulgy74 with 17k rounds thru it now and I took those inner rails almost flat!
Ask the building king Nicoroshi and he'll telk you about those rails.