PDA

View Full Version : AK Mag Release

TacticalPlinker
04-17-2012, 8:38 PM
One of the last things I want to do with my AK is loosen up the mag release. It's very very stiff and takes a lot of force to release a mag. Or even move the release lever when there is no mag. I need to correct this problem!

Basically I'm having my AK stock refinished and I'll be putting that back on. I'm going back to the traditional look and dropping all the polymer tactical crap. I'm going to try running the AK as featureless (w/ ST grip wrap) once the stock is finished, so I need something that can be easily released with my hand (or another mag).

If I leave the bullet button installed (no grip wrap), it would be easier to release the mag via a tool (in my case a punch or a bullet).

That said, how do I go about doing this? I obviously need to drill out the rivets holding the mag release in place, but do I simply release the mag release spring with something not as stiff? Or is there something else I'm not aware of? Does this need to be something I take to a local gun smith?

Thanks!

Chaos47
04-17-2012, 8:51 PM
That would be a lot of effort for little pay off.

Yes you would have to drill out the rivet and then replace the spring with one that has less power.

You will then have to find a new pin and a way to capture it to replace the rivet.

You may want to look at the AK radlock because if you are going to drill it out then you are half way to installing a rad lock and at least that comes with a replacement pin

Also you might want to consider that a less power spring may not hold the magazine as securely and thus possibly causing feeding issues. Dunno if that's true just a thought...

So I looked at it the radlock comes with a compression spring that replaces the standard torsion spring. I don't know but I would assume it is easier to actuate.

Edit: Saw you plan on running featureless...
I think you should just try to get used to it

NorCalK9.com
04-17-2012, 8:54 PM
Lmao you're gonna have tons of fun with that one.
The catch might loosen up on its own a little with use.

04-17-2012, 10:04 PM
not an expert but maybe you need to shorten the mag release lever( as in filing it).thats what I did with my ak build that had tight fitting magazine issue.runs very smoothly now. watch AGI ak building video for more info if you can.Do it slowly and keep testing at after you take off a little material.

saki302
04-17-2012, 11:36 PM
The mag release tension is what keeps the mag from falling out unintentionally.

Leave it alone, it's stiff as it is for a reason.

-Dave

trespassingproductions
04-18-2012, 12:02 AM
The mag release tension is what keeps the mag from falling out unintentionally.

Leave it alone, it's stiff as it is for a reason.

-Dave

^ this

but i know what you mean my AK was the same way...i dumped a bunch of oil in it worked for me

858casper858
04-18-2012, 3:46 AM
What kind of mag lock are you using now?